- Volume 28 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Case Report of Korean Medicine Treatment on Back Pain of a Parkinson's Disease Patient
파킨슨병 환자의 요통에 대한 한의학 치료 증례
- Kim, Doo-Ri (Department of Rehabilitation Medicine of Korean Medicine, Bucheon Jaseng Korean Medicine Hospital) ;
- Kim, Joo-Won (Department of Rehabilitation Medicine of Korean Medicine, Bucheon Jaseng Korean Medicine Hospital) ;
- Ryu, Won-Hyung (Department of Rehabilitation Medicine of Korean Medicine, Bucheon Jaseng Korean Medicine Hospital) ;
- Jeon, Yong-Hyun (Department of Rehabilitation Medicine of Korean Medicine, Bucheon Jaseng Korean Medicine Hospital) ;
- Moon, Hee-Young (Department of Korean Internal Medicine, Bucheon Jaseng Korean Medicine Hospital) ;
- Park, Ji-Won (Department of Acupuncture and Moxibustion Medicine, Bucheon Jaseng Korean Medicine Hospital) ;
- Park, Ju-Hee (Department of Korean Obstetrics & Gynecology Medicine, Bucheon Jaseng Korean Medicine Hospital)
- 김두리 (부천자생한방병원 한방재활의학과) ;
- 김주원 (부천자생한방병원 한방재활의학과) ;
- 류원형 (부천자생한방병원 한방재활의학과) ;
- 전용현 (부천자생한방병원 한방재활의학과) ;
- 문희영 (부천자생한방병원 한방내과) ;
- 박지원 (부천자생한방병원 침구과) ;
- 박주희 (부천자생한방병원 한방부인과)
- Received : 2017.12.26
- Accepted : 2018.01.09
- Published : 2018.01.31
The purpose of the study is to explore the possibility of Korean medicine treatment on back pain of Parkinson's disease patient through a case study. A Parkinson's disease patient suffering from back pain and both limbs pain was hospitalized and treated with acupuncture and traditional medicine. We evaluated the treatment effect with Numerial Rate Scale (NRS), Oswestry low back pain disability questionnaire (ODI), EuroQol-Five Dimensions (EQ-5D), and Unified Parkinson's Disease Rating Scale (UPDRS). As a result, back pain NRS, lower limbs pain NRS, ODI, EQ-5D, UPDRS turned out to be greatly improved from 9 to 3, 5 to 2, 80 to 64, -0.014 to 0.513, 122 to 37, respectively. This study suggested that Korean Medicine could be effective treatment for back pain of Parkinson's Disease. Further clinical studies are needed to obtain definite conclusion.
- The Korean Academy of Family Medicine. Textbook of Family Medicine. 4th Edition. Seoul: Medical Pub. 2015:661-9.
- Park SM, Lee SH, Ahn CS, Kang MK, Jang DI, Kang SK, Lee YH. Literature Review on Parkinson's Disease in Oriental Medicine. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture Moxibustion Society. 2004;21:202-10.
- Beiske AG, Loge JH, Ronningen A, Svensson E. Pain in Parkinson's disease: Prevalence and characteristics. PAIN. 2009;141:173-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pain.2008.12.004
- Buhmann C, Wrobel N, Grashorn W, Fruendt O, Wesemann K, Diedrich S, Bingel U. Pain in Parkinson disease: a cross-sectional survey of its prevalence, specifics, and therapy. Journal of Neurology. 2017;264:1-12.
- Kwon DY, Koh SB, Park KW, Kim BJ. Electromyographic analysis of prevalence and characteristics of radiculopathy in Parkinson's disease. Neurology Asia. 2015;20:29-34.
- Broetz D, Eichner M, Gasser Th, Weller M, Steinbach JP. Radicular and nonradicular back pain in Parkinson’s disease: A controlled study. Movement Disorders. 2007;22: 853-6. https://doi.org/10.1002/mds.21439
- Noh JH. The impact of pain on the Quality of Life in Parkinson's Disease. Graduate School, Korea University. Seoul, Korea. 2006.
- Moon SH, Lee HM, Chun HJ, Kang KT, Kim HS, Park JO, Moon ES, Chong HS, Sohn JS, Kim HJ. Surgical Outcome of Lumbar Fusion Surgery in Patients with Parkinson Disease. Journal of Spinal Disorders&Techniques. 2012; 25:351-5.
- Westermann L, Simons M, Eysel P, Xarghooni K, Siewe J. The influence of Parkinson’s disease on spine surgery. European Spine Journal. 2016;25:3778.
- Westermann L, Eysel P, Hantscher J, Baschera D, Simons M, Herren C, Zarghooni K, Siewe J. The Influence of Parkinson Disease on Lumbar Decompression Surgery: A Retrospective Case Control Study. World Neurosurg. 2017;108:513-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wneu.2017.09.028
- Grozinger A, Rommelspacher Y, Wirtz DC, Sander K, Pflygmacher R. Influence of Parkinson’s Disease on the Perioperative Course of Patients after Lumbar Fusion Surgery. ZOrthopUnfall. 2015;153:277-81.
- Rommel O, Wejwer D, Schybek K, Przybilski T, Jager G, Graber S, Berg D. Lumbar back pain in patients with Parkinson’s disease. Nervenarzt. 2016;87:418-25. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00115-015-0060-2
- Watanabe1 K, Hirano1 T. Characteristics and exacerbating factors of chronic low back pain in Parkinson's disease. International Orthopaedics. 2015;39:2433-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00264-015-3011-4
- Nishioka K, Nakajima M. Beneficial Therapeutic Effects of Spinal Cord Stimulation in Advanced Cases of Parkinson’s Disease with Intractable Chronic Pain: A Case Series. Neuromodulation. 2015;18:751-3. https://doi.org/10.1111/ner.12315
- Lee JH, Kim MJ, Lee JW, Kim MR, Lee IH, Kim EJ. A Study on Standardization of Shinbaro Pharmacopuncture Using Herbal Medicines Identification Test and HPLCDAD. the J of Korean Acupucture Moxibustion Medicine Society. 2015;32:1-9.
- Chung HJ, Lee HS, Shin JS, Lee SH, Park BM, Youn YS, Lee SK. Modulation of acute and chronic inflammatory processes by a traditional medicine preparation GCSB-5 both in vitro and in vivo animal models. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 2010;130:450-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2010.05.020
- Kim TH, Yoon SJ, Lee WC Kim JK, Shin JS, Lee SH, Lee SM. Protective effect of GCSB-5, an herbal preparation, against peripheral nerve injury in rats. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 2011;136:297-304. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2011.04.037
- Kim JK, Park SW, Kang JW, Kim YJ, Lee SY, Shin JS, Lee SH, Lee SM. Effect of GCSB-5, a Herbal Formulation, on Monosodium Iodoacetate-Induced Osteoarthritis in Rats. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 2012;2012:1-11.
- Mousavi, Sayed Javad, Parnianpour, Mohamad, Mehdian, Hossein, Montazeri, Ali, Mobini, Bahram. The Oswestry Disability Index, the Roland-Morris Disability Questionnaire, and the Quebec Back Pain Disability Scale: Translation and Validation Studies of the Iranian Versions. Spine. 2006;31:454-9. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.brs.0000222141.61424.f7
- Sung SS, Choi CB, Sung YK, Park YW, Lee HS, Uhm WS, Kim TW, Jun JB, Yoo DH, Lee OY, Bae SC. Health-Related Quality of Life using EQ-5D in Koreans. The J of the Korean Rheumatism Associatio. 2004;11: 254-62.
- Fahn S, Elton RL, & Members of the UPDRS development committee. The unified Parkinson's disease rating scale. 1987;153-63.
- 失數道明 著, 朴炳熙 譯. 臨床應用 韓方處方解說, 醫方出版社. 2008.
- Kim SR, Lee TY, Kim MS, Lee MC, Chung SJ. Use of complementary and alternative medicine by Korean patients with Parkinson’s disease. clinical neurology and neurosurgery. 2009;111:156-60. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clineuro.2008.09.011
- Kim JY, Kim HJ, Jeon BS. Prevalence and Characteristics of Nonmotor Symptoms in Korean Parkinson’s Disease Patients and Its Relationship With Experience of Alternative Therapie. J Korean Neurol Assoc. 2013;31:8-14.
- Lam YC, Kum WF, Kurairajan SSK, Lu JH, Man SC, Xu M, Zhang XF, Huang XZ, Li M. Efficacy and safety of acupuncture for idiopathic Parkinson’s disease: a systematic review. J Altern Complement Med. 2008;14:663-71. https://doi.org/10.1089/acm.2007.0011
- Lee MS, Shin BC, Kong JC, Ernst E. Effectiveness of acupuncture for Parkinson’s disease: a systematic review. Mov Disord. 2008;23:1505-15. https://doi.org/10.1002/mds.21993