- Volume 50 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effect of heating on the quality characteristics and antioxidant activities of Baekseolgi made with arrowroot flour
열처리가 칡가루 및 이를 첨가한 백설기의 품질 특성과 산화방지활성에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2017.09.09
- Accepted : 2017.10.19
- Published : 2018.02.28
Baekseolgi made with arrowroot flour (AF, 0 to 15% of rice flour) was steamed to examine the effect of heating on its antioxidant activity and physicochemical properties. Despite the presence of abundant dietary fiber and superior water-holding capacity of AF, moisture in baekseolgi was not significantly increased. This could partly be attributed to AF having 50% less moisture content than rice flour. Hence, hardness of baekseolgi was also not significantly altered. Total reducing capacity and flavonoid content of baekseolgi increased proportionally with the increase in AF addition. However, these values were lower than the predicted values calculated from the antioxidant activities of heated AF, which was more apparent in total reducing capacity. This indicated that the stability of non-phenolic reducing compounds in AF was lower than that of the phenolic compounds. Thermally processed baekseolgi made with 9% AF exhibited antioxidant activity without noticeable loss in the quality of the product.
- Folin O, Denis W. On phosphotungstic-phosphomolybdic compounds as color reagents. J. Biol. Chem. 12: 239-243 (1912)
- Zhishen J, Mengcheng T, Jianming W. The determination of flavonoid contents in mulberry and their scavenging effects on superoxide radicals. Food Chem. 64: 555-559 (1999) https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-8146(98)00102-2
- Brand-Williams W, Cuvelier ME, Berset C. Use of a free radical method to evaluate antioxidant activity. Lebensm. Wiss. Technol. 28: 25-30 (1995) https://doi.org/10.1016/S0023-6438(95)80008-5
- Ryu D, Kim DB, Lee KH, Son DS, Surh J. Influences of sugar substitutes on the physicochemical and sensory properties and hardness of baksulgi during storage. Korean J. Food Sci. Technol. 44: 568-576 (2012) https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2012.44.5.568
- The National Institute of the Korean Language. Standard Korean language dictionary. Availabe from: http://www.korean.go.kr. Accessed Mar. 20, 2017.
- RDA. Food Composition Table. 7th ed. Rural Development Administration, Jeonju, Korea. pp. 64-65 (2007)
- Schwartz SJ, von Elbe JH, Giusti MM. Colorants. pp. 571-638. In: Food Chemistry. Damodaran S, Parkin KL, Fennema OR (eds). CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, USA (2008)
- Dewanto V, Wu X, Adom KK, Liu RH. Thermal processing enhances the nutritional value of tomatoes by increasing total antioxidant activity. J. Agr. Food Chem. 50: 3010-3014 (2002) https://doi.org/10.1021/jf0115589
- Harakotr B, Suriharn B, Tangwongchai R, Scott MP, Lertrat K. Anthocyanin, phenolics and antioxidant activity changes in purple waxy corn as affected by traditional cooking. Food Chem. 164: 510-517 (2014) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2014.05.069
- Kum EJ, Kwon DH, Shin HS. Spectrometry: Analysis of estrogen in pomegranate extract by solid phase extraction and liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry. J. Food Hyg. Saf. 25: 79-82 (2010)
- Wikipedia. Pueraria montana. Availabe from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pueraria_montana. Accessed Apr. 22, 2017.
- Surh J, Kim MJ, Koh E, Kim LYK, Kwon H. Estimated intakes of isoflavones and coumestrol in Korean population. Int. J. Food Sci. Nutr. 57: 325-344 (2006) https://doi.org/10.1080/09637480600802348
- Sunita P, Pattanayak SP. Phytoestrogens in postmenopausal indications: A theoretical perspective. Pharmacogn. Rev. 5: 41-47 (2011) https://doi.org/10.4103/0973-7847.79098
- Lee SB, Park SY, Jeon GS, Hong IK. Phytoestrogen extraction for relaxation of female menopause symptoms from natural products. Appl. Chem. Eng. 27: 217-220 (2016) https://doi.org/10.14478/ace.2016.1023
- Oh MJ, Lee KS, Son HY, Kim SY. Antioxidative components of pueraria root. Korean J. Food Sci. Technol. 22: 793-798 (1990)
- Kim HY. Hong JH, Kim DS, Kang KJ, Han SB, Lee EJ, Chung HW, Song KH, Sho KA, Kwack SJ, Kim SS, Park KL, Lee SK, Kim MC, Kim CM, Song IS. Effect of heat processing on thermal stability of kudzu (Pueraria thumbergiana Bentham) root isoflavones. J. Life Sci. 18: 1447-1454 (2008) https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2008.18.10.1447
- Kim MJ, Cho JK, Lee CH. Antioxidant effects of crude catechin extracted from Puerariae radix roots. Korean J. Food Sci. An. 17: 1-5 (1997)
- Suzuki A, Hizukuri S, Takeda Y. Physicochemical studies of kuzu starch. Cereal Chem. 58: 286-290 (1981)
- Kinjo JE, Takeshita T, Abe Y, Terada N, Yamashita H, Yamasaki M, Takeuchi K, Murakami K, Tomimatsu T, Nohara T. Studies on the constituents of Pueraria lobata. IV.: Chemical constituents in the flowers and the leaves. Chem. Pharm. Bull. 36: 1174-1179 (1988) https://doi.org/10.1248/cpb.36.1174
- Kim EJ, Kim YH, Choi YJ, Lim S, Cho OH, Kim MH. Study on the physiological activity of bulbs and tubers (deodeok, balloon flower root, lotus root, burdock, arrowroot) (abstract no. A-20). In: Abstracts: 47th Fall Conference of the East Asian Society of Dietary Life. November 1, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea. The East Asian Society of Dietary Life, Seoul, Korea (2014)
- Gu SY, Lee HG. The sensory and textural characteristics of chicksulgi. Korean J. Food Cook. Sci. 17: 523-532 (2001)
- Hwang, EH, Kim KH. A study on the quality of ramyon made from Korean wheat and arrowroot (Pueraria thunbergiana B) starch. Korean J. Hum. Ecol. 17: 151-158 (2008) https://doi.org/10.5934/KJHE.2008.17.1.151
- Han G, Hwang SY, Rho S. Quality characteristics of white bread with arrowroot powder. J. East Asian Soc. Diet. Life 23: 778-788 (2013)
- Statistics Korea. Life expectancy. Available from: http://www.index.go.kr/potal/stts/idxMain/selectPoSttsIdxSearch.do?idx_cd=2758. Accessed Sep. 4, 2017.
- The Hankook-ilbo. Functional food for menopausal women. Available from: http://www.hankookilbo.com/v/46f11bc6dec7429 c8ff1709e4ae7ae7e. Accessed Apr. 21, 2017.
- Choi BS, Kim HY. Quality characteristics of arrowroot dasik prepared with the arrowroot (Puerariae Radix) powder. Korean J. Culinary Res. 17: 197-207 (2011)
- AOAC. Official Methods of Analysis of the AOAC. Method 984.13. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Arlington, VA, USA (1990)
- Medcalf DF, Gilles KA. Wheat starches I. Comparison of physicochemical properties. Cereal Chem. 42: 558-568 (1965)
- Kim YJ, Kim OS, Seo CS, Lim HS, Yoo SR, Jeon WY, Jin SE Shin IS, Kim JH, Shin NR, Kim SS, Lee MY, Jeong SJ, Ha HK, Shin HK. Study on comparison of ingredient quantities and biological activities of galgeun-tang according to extraction solvent. Korean J. Orient. Physiol. Pathol. 26: 908-914 (2012)