- Volume 31 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Investigation of blood biomarkers related to meat quality and quantity in Hanwoo steers
- Moon, Yea Hwang (Department of Animal Science and Biotechnology, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Cho, Woong Ki (Division of Applied Life Science (BK21 program) and Institute of Agriculture & Life Science (IALS), Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Lee, Sung Sill (Division of Applied Life Science (BK21 program) and Institute of Agriculture & Life Science (IALS), Gyeongsang National University)
- Received : 2018.03.08
- Accepted : 2018.05.31
- Published : 2018.12.01
Objective: This study was conducted to investigate the correlation between blood components and carcass traits, and to find the biomarkers related to meat quality and quantity in Hanwoo steers. Methods: One hundred twenty-six Hanwoo steers (8 to 9 months of age, body weight of
Correlation;Blood Component;Carcass Traits;Retinol;Regression Equation;Hanwoo Steer
Supported by : Gyeongnam national university of science and technology
- Russel A. Means of assessing the adequacy of nutrition of pregnant ewes. Livest Prod Sci 1984;11:429-36. https://doi.org/10.1016/0301-6226(84)90054-X
- Puoli JR, Reid RL, Belesky DP. Photosensitization in lambs grazing switchgrass. Agron J 1992;84:1077-80. https://doi.org/10.2134/agronj1992.00021962008400060033x
- Otani T, Murao N, Moriwaki S, Matsumoto Y. Relationship between carcass and blood chemistry profile in growing beef cattle. J Livest Med 2006;53:277-85.
- AFFRC. Japanese feeding standard for beef cattle. Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries Research Council Secretariat. Tokyo, Japan: Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries; 2000.
- Oka A, Maruo Y, Miki T, et al. Influence of vitamin A on the quality of beef from the Tajima strain of Japanese Black cattle. Meat Sci 1998;48:159-67. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(97)00086-7
- Chae SH, Jung KK, Choi CB. Correlated relationships between vitamin A concentration in serum and liver and carcass characteristics of Hanwoo steers. Kor J Anim Sci Technol 2003;45:585-92. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2003.45.4.585
- Ahn BH, Kim BH, Moon YH. Effects of dietary vitamin A levels and castration of fatty acid composition of adipose tissue and beef quality of Korean native cattle. Kor J Anim Nutr Feed 1999;23:311-20.
- Peng DQ, Jung US, Lee JS, et al. Effect of alcohol dehydrogenase 1C genotype on vitamin A restriction and marbling in Korean native steers. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci 2017;30:1099-104. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.16.0708
- Korean Institute for Animal Products Quality Evaluation: KAPE: Annual Report for Animal Products Research. (Kor.); 2016. Available from: http://www.ekapedia.com/home/homeIndex.do
- The vitamin analysis: Kyoto, Japan: The Vitamin Society of Japan; 1989.
- SAS Institute. SAS/STAT user's guide. Cary, NC, USA: SAS Institute Inc; 1999.
- Aspartate transaminase [Internet]. Wikipeida; 2006 [cited 2018 Jan 20]. Available from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartate_transaminase
- Sano H, Terashima Y. Insulin responsiveness to glucose and tissue responsiveness to insulin in cows, sheep and pigs. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci 1991;4:41-5. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.1991.41
- Matsunaga N, Arakawa N, Goka T, et al. Effects of ruminal infusion of volatile fatty acids on plasma concentration of growth hormone and insulin in sheep. Domest Anim Endocrinol 1999;17:17-27. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0739-7240(99)00021-1
- Sano H, Ambo K, Tsuda T. Blood glucose kinetics in whole body and mammary gland of lactating goats exposed to heat. J Dairy Sci 1985;68:2557-64. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(85)81137-1
- Barr VA, Malide D, Zarnowski MJ, et al. Insulin stimulates both leptin secretion and production by rat white adipose tissue. Endocrinology 1997;138:4463-72. https://doi.org/10.1210/endo.138.10.5451
- Asakuma S, Morishita H, Sugino T, et al. Circulating leptin response to feeding and exogenous infusion of insulin in sheep exposed to thermoneutral and cold environments. Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol 2003;134:329-35. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1095-6433(02)00269-6
- Moslemipur F, Torbatinejad NM, Khazali H, et al. Effect of permanent hypoinsulinemia on appetite, performance, carcass composition, blood metabolites and leptin concentrations in lambs. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci 2009;22:827-35. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2009.80626
- Gorocica-Buenfil MA, Fluharty FL, Reynolds CK, Loerch SC. Effect of dietary vitamin A restriction on marbling and conjugated linoleic acid content in Holstein steers. J Anim Sci 2007;85:2243-55. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2006-781
- Nade T, Hirabara S, Okumura T, Fujita K. Effects of vitamin A on carcass composition concerning younger steer fattening of Wagyu cattle. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci 2003;16:353-8. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2003.353
- Arnett AM. Effect of dietary vitamin a supplementation on serum and liver retinol content, growth performance, carcass composition, and meat quality of lambs and cattle [dissertaion]. Manhattan, KS, USA: Kansas State University; 2007.
- Gorocica-Buenfil MA, Fluharty FL, Bohn T, et al. Effect of low vitamin A diets with high-moisture or dry corn on marbling and adipose tissue fatty acid composition of beef steers. J Anim Sci 2007;85:3355-66. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2007-0172
- Gorocica-Buenfil MA, Fluharty FL, Loerch SC. Effect of vitamin A restriction on carcass characteristics and immune status of beef steers. J Anim Sci 2008;86:1609-16. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2007-0241
- Bryant TC, Wagner JJ, Tatum JD, et al. Effect of dietary supplemental vitamin A concentration on performance, carcass merit, serum metabolites, and lipogenic enzyme activity in yearling beef steers 123. J Anim Sci 2010;88:1463-78. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2009-2313
- Geary TW, McFadin EL, MacNeil MD, et al. Leptin as a predictor of carcass composition in beef cattle. J Anim Sci 2003;81:1-8.
- Chung CS, Cho WK, Jang IS, et al. Effects of feeding system on growth performance, plasma biochemical components and hormones, and carcass characteristics in Hanwoo steers. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci 2017;30:1117-23. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.17.0166
- Yonekura S, Oka A, Noda M, et al. Relationship between serum leptin concentrations and the marbling scores in Japanese Black cattle. Anim Sci J 2002;73:51-7. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1344-3941.2002.00008.x
- Mouffok CE, Madani T, Semara L, et al. Correlation between body condition score, blood biochemical metabolites, milk yield and quality in Algerian Montbéliarde cattle. Pak Vet J 2013;33:191-4.
- Tanumihardjo SA. Vitamin A: biomarkers of nutrition for development. Am J Clin Nutr 2011;94:658-65. https://doi.org/10.3945/ajcn.110.005777