- Volume 18 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
An Adaptive Motion Vector Estimation Method for Multi-view Video Coding Based on Spatio-temporal Correlations among Motion Vectors
움직임 벡터들의 시·공간적 상관성을 이용한 다시점 비디오 부호화를 위한 적응적 움직임 벡터 추정 기법
- Yoon, Hyo-Sun ;
- Kim, Mi-Young
- 윤효순 ;
- Received : 2018.06.28
- Accepted : 2018.11.26
- Published : 2018.12.28
Motion Estimation(ME) has been developed to reduce the redundant data in digital video signal. ME is an important part of video encoding system, However, it requires huge computational complexity of the encoder part, and fast motion search methods have been proposed to reduce huge complexity. Multi- view video is obtained by capturing on a three-dimensional scene with many cameras at different positions and its complexity increases in proportion to the number of cameras. In this paper, we proposed an efficient motion method which chooses a search pattern adaptively by using the temporal-spatial correlation of the block and the characteristics of the block. Experiment results show that the computational complexity reduction of the proposed method over TZ search method and FS method can be up to 70~75% and 99% respectively while keeping similar image quality and bit rates.
Motion Estimation;Motion Vector;Spatia-Temporal Correlations;Muti-view Video Codind
- H. G. Muamann, P. Pirch, and H. H. Grallert, "Advance in picture coding," Proc. of IEEE, Vol.73, No.4, pp.523-548, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1109/PROC.1985.13183
- J. L. Mitchell, W. B. Pennebaker, and C. E. Fogg, MPEG video compression standard, Chapman & Hall, 1996.
- T. Koga, K. Iinuma, A. Hirano, and Y. Ishiguro, "Motion compensated interframe coding for video conference," NTC81, pp.G5.3.1-5.3.5, 1981.
- R. Li, B. Zeng, and M. L. Liou, "A New Three Step Search Algorithm for Block Motion Estimation," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and System for Video Technology, Vol.4, No.4, pp.438-441, 1994(8). https://doi.org/10.1109/76.313138
- J. R. Jain and A. K. Jain, "Displacement measurement and its application in Interframe image Coding," IEEE Transactions on Communications, Vol.29, No.12, pp.1779-1808, 1981.
- L. M. Po and W. C. Ma, "A Novel Four Search Algorithm for Block Motion Estimation," IEEE Transactions on Circuit and Systems for Video Technology, Vol.6, pp.313-317, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1109/76.499840
- J. Y. Tham, S. Ranganath, and A. A. Kassim, "A Novel Unretricted Center-Biased Diamond Search Algorithm for Block Motion Estimation," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, Vol.8, pp.369-377, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1109/76.709403
- S. Zhu and K. K. Ma, "A New Diamond Search Algorithm for Fast Block Matching Motion," IEEE Transaction on Image Processing, Vol.9, No.2, pp.287-290, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/83.821744
- Y. Y. Chung and N. W. Bergmann, "Fast Search Block Matching Motion Estimation Algorithm using FPGA," Visual Communications and Image Processing 2000, Proc. SPIE, Vol.4067, pp.913-921, 2000.
- D. Gong and Y. He, "Fast Motion Estimation Algorithm using Horizontal and Multi-grid Search Strategy," Picture Coding Symposium 2001, pp.362-365, 2001.
- C. Zhu, X. Lin, and L. P. Chau, "Hexagon based search pattern for fast block motion estimation," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, Vol.12, pp.349-355, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSVT.2002.1003474
- P. I. Howur and K. K. Ma, "Report on Performance of Fast Motion Estimation using Motion Vector Field Adaptive Search Technique," ISO/IEC/JCTI/SC29/WG11 M5453, 1999(12).
- A. M. Tourapis, O. C. Au, and M. L. Liou, "Fast Block Matching Motion Estimation using Predictive Motion Vector Field Adaptive Search Technique," ISO/IEC/JCTI/SC29/WG11 MPEG 2000/M5866, 2000(3).
- Z. Chen, P. Zhou, and Y. He, "Fast Integer pel and Fractional pel motion estimation in for JVT," in JVT of ISO/ICE/ MPEG and ITU-T VCEG, 6th meeting, 2002.
- A. Smolic, K. Mueller, P. Merkle, C. Fehn, P. kauff, P. Eisert, and T. Wiegand, "3D Video and Free Viewpoint Video - Technologies, Applications and MPEG Standards," IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Exposition, 2006(7).
- ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/WG11 N10357, "Vision on 3D Video," 2009(2).
- X. L. TANG and S. K. OAT, "An Analysis of TZSearch Algorithm in JMVC," The 2010 International Conference on Green Circuits and Systems, pp.516-519, 2010.
- N. Purnachand, L. N. Alves, and A. Navarro, "Improvements to TZ search motion estimation algorithm for multiview video coding," IWSSIP 2012, pp.388-391, 2012.
- H. S. Yoon and M. Y. Kim, "Center Biased Motion Estimation Method for Multi-video view video coding," J. of KIISE, Vol.40, No.11, pp.679-704, 2013.
- H. S. Yoon and G. S. Lee, "Adaptive Motion Estimation using temporal correlation," The KIPS Transactions: Part B, Vol.9, No.2, pp.199-204, 2004.