- Volume 18 Issue 12
In AI chatbot service via a messenger, a profile image of the chatbot is the first thing that users see to communicate with the chatbot. This profile image not only manages an impression about the profile owner in SNS on followers, but also makes an important impression about chatbot services on users. Thus motivated, this study investigates proper profile images tailored for the types of chatbot services and users. Specifically, I reviewed the preferred images and expressions of chatbots for each purpose of chatbot service. Then, in a case study, I collected and analyzed the representative chatbot profile images for the purpose of fun and counseling. The profile images are categorized as robot, human, animal, and abstract images. Based on these categories, I surveyed the preferred profile image of the chatbot service in either the text type or image type alternatives. For the purpose of fun, in the text version, I found that both men and women preferred a human image to others. However, in the image version, men preferred woman and robot images while women preferred cute animation character and robot images. For counseling services, both men and women preferred woman and animal images most, which is similar to the results of the text version of questionnaires as well. While both genders consistently preferred real photo images, women tend to like abstract images more than men do. I expect that the results of this study would be useful to develop the proper profile images of AI chatbot for each service purpose.
Chatbot;Profile Image;Purpose of Use;Users
- 이경일, 챗봇(chatbot):제3의 물결, 흥국증권, 2017
- Z. Yu, Z. Xu, A. W. Black, and A. Rudnicky, "Strategy and policy learning for non-task-oriented conversational systems," In Proceedings of the 17th Annual Meeting of the Special Interest Group on Discourse and Dialogue, pp.404-412, 2016.
- H. Nguyen, D. Morales, and T. Chin, A Neural Chatbot with Personality, Stanford University working paper, 2017.
- 이종윤, 홍장선, 윤주현, "카카오톡 프로필 이미지를 통한 다중적 자아의 유형 연구," Archives of Design Research, 제26권, 제4호, pp.181-204, 2013.
- Q. Qian, M. Huang, and X. Zhu, "Assigning personality/identity to a chatting machine for coherent conversation generation," arXiv preprint arXiv:1706.02861, 2017.
- 강민정, "사용목적에 따라 선호하는 챗봇의 성격에 관한 연구," 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제18권, 제5호, pp.319-329, 2018.
- 고미숙, "CMC (Computer-Mediated Communication) 를 통한 인격적 관계 형성을 위한 교육," 도덕윤리과교육연구, 제36권, pp.85-113, 2012.
- 김희경, SNS 프로필 이미지와 소비자 광고태도의 상관성, 한성대학교 대학원, 박사학위논문, 2017.
- 김보섭, 이미지로 생각한다는 것 : 인터뷰로 본 디자이너의 사고 과정, 베란다, 2017.
- J. Ferguson and C. Fletcher, "An investigation of some cognitive factors involved in person-perception during selection interviews," Psychological Reports, Vol.64, No.3, pp.735-745, 1989. https://doi.org/10.2466/pr0.1922.214.171.1245
- 강민지, SNS미디어에 표현된 자아유형의 인상 관리 정도에 따른 헬스커뮤니케이션 캠페인 수용도 연구, 성균관대학교, 박사학위논문, 2017.
- M. L. Antheunis, P. M. Valkenburg, and J. Peter, "Getting acquainted through social network sites: Testing a model of online uncertainty reduction and social attraction," Computers in Human Behavior, Vol.26, No.1, pp.100-109, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2009.07.005
- T. Greitemeyer and I. Kunz, "Name-valence and physical attractiveness in Facebook: Their compensatory effects on friendship acceptance," The Journal of social psychology, Vol.153, No.3, pp.257-260, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1080/00224545.2012.741629
- 강영안, E. Levinas, 타인의 얼굴 : 레비나스의 철학, 문학과 지성사, 2005.
- M. B. Mathur and D. B. Reichling, "Navigating a social world with robot partners: A quantitative cartography of the Uncanny Valley," Cognition, Vol.146, pp.22-32, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cognition.2015.09.008
- C. Misselhorn, "Empathy with inanimate objects and the uncanny valley," Minds and Machines, Vol.19, No.3, p.345, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11023-009-9158-2
- 정희진, 엄기서, "가상공간에 나타난 아바타 유형에 관한 사례연구," 한국디자인문화학회지, 제7권, 제1호, pp.319-331, 2001.
- 김남훈, 디지털 캐릭터의 UV(Uncanny Valley) 현상에 관한 연구 : 리얼리즘 기반의 CG 영화와 애니메이션을 중심으로, 경성대학교, 박사학위논문, 2013.
- http://www.itworld.co.kr/tags/71722/AR%EC %9D%B4%EB%AA%A8%EC%A7%80/108478
- http://uk.businessinsider.com/therapy-chatbot -depression-app-what-its-like-woebot-2018-1 /#alison-darcy-a-clinical-psychologist-at-stanf ord-university-created-woebot-based-on-cogn itive-behavioral-therapy-which-encourages-pe ople-to-examine-how-they-react-to-challengi ng-situations-2
- https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/apr /25/meet-tess-the-mental-health-chatbot-that -thinks-like-a-therapist
- https://www.techinasia.com/ai-chatbot-wysatouchkin- penguin
- 은희, 주은선, "내담자 변인과 상담형태에 따른 내담자의 상담에 대한 기대감 연구," 한국심리 학회지: 상담 및 심리치료, 제13권, 제1호, pp.51-77, 2001.
Supported by : 홍익대학교