- Volume 13 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Active Distribution Network Expansion Planning Considering Distributed Generation Integration and Network Reconfiguration
- Xing, Haijun (School of Electric Power Engineering, Shanghai University of Electric Power) ;
- Hong, Shaoyun (Electric Power Economic Research Institute of State Grid Jiangxi Electric power Co. Ltd.) ;
- Sun, Xin (School of Electric Power Engineering, Shanghai University of Electric Power)
- Received : 2017.05.17
- Accepted : 2018.01.04
- Published : 2018.03.01
This paper proposes the method of active distribution network expansion planning considering distributed generation integration and distribution network reconfiguration. The distribution network reconfiguration is taken as the expansion planning alternative with zero investment cost of the branches. During the process of the reconfiguration in expansion planning, all the branches are taken as the alternative branches. The objective is to minimize the total costs of the distribution network in the planning period. The expansion alternatives such as active management, new lines, new substations, substation expansion and Distributed Generation (DG) installation are considered. Distribution network reconfiguration is a complex mixed-integer nonlinear programming problem, with integration of DGs and active managements, the active distribution network expansion planning considering distribution network reconfiguration becomes much more complex. This paper converts the dual-level expansion model to Second-Order Cone Programming (SOCP) model, which can be solved with commercial solver GUROBI. The proposed model and method are tested on the modified IEEE 33-bus system and Portugal 54-bus system.
Supported by : SJTU
- C. Po-Chen, R. Salcedo, Z. Qingcheng, et al, "Analysis of voltage profile problems due to the penetration of distributed generation in low-voltage secondary distribution networks," Power Delivery, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 2020-2028, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2012.2209684
- A. Ipakchi and F. Albuyeh, "Grid of the future," Power and Energy Magazine, IEEE, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 52-62, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/MPE.2008.931384
- S. N. Gopiya Naik, D. K. Khatod, and M. P. Sharma, "Analytical approach for optimal siting and sizing of distributed generation in radial distribution networks," Generation, Transmission & Distribution, IET, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 209-220, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-gtd.2014.0603
- A. Ameli, S. Bahrami, F. Khazaeli, et al, "A multiobjective particle swarm optimization for sizing and placement of DGs from DG owner's and distribution company's viewpoints," Power Delivery, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 1831-1840, 2014.
- H. A. Hejazi, A. R. Araghi, B. Vahidi, et al, and H. Mohsenian-Rad, "Independent distributed generation planning to profit both utility and DG investors," Power Systems, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 1170-1178, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2012.2219325
- J. D. Foster, A. M. Berry, N. Boland, et al, "Comparison of mixed-integer programming and genetic algorithm methods for distributed generation planning," Power Systems, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 833-843, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2013.2287880
- V. A. Evangelopoulos and P. S. Georgilakis, "Optimal distributed generation placement under uncertainties based on point estimate method embedded genetic algorithm," Generation, Transmission & Distribution, IET, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 389-400, 2013.
- Siano P, Chen P, Chen Z, et al. "Evaluating maximum wind energy exploitation in active distribution networks," Generation, Transmission & Distribution, IET, vol. 4, no. 5, pp. 598-608, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-gtd.2009.0548
- S. S. Al Kaabi, H. Zeineldin, and V. Khadkikar , "Planning active distribution networks considering multi-DG configurations," Power Systems, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 785-793, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2013.2282343
- M. Nick, R. Cherkaoui, and M. Paolone, "Optimal allocation of dispersed energy storage systems in active distribution networks for energy balance and grid support," Power Systems, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 2300-2310, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2014.2302020
- C. L. T. Borges and V. F. Martins, "Multistage expansion planning for active distribution networks under demand and distributed generation un-certainties," International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 107-116, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2011.10.031
- F. Capitanescu, L. F. Ochoa, H. Margossian, et al, "Assessing the potential of network reconfiguration to improve distributed generation hosting capacity in active distribution systems," Power Systems, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 346-356, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2014.2320895
- Farivar M., Low S.H. "Branch flow model: relaxations and convexification-part I," Power Systems, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 2554-2564, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2013.2255317
- Haijun Xing, Haozhong Cheng, Yi Zhang, et al, "'Active Distribution Network Expansion Planning Integrating Dispersed Energy Storage Systems," Generation, Transmission & Distribution, IET, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 638-644, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-gtd.2015.0411
- V. F. Martins and C. L. T. Borges, "Active distribution network integrated planning incorporating distributed generation and load response uncertainties," Power Systems, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 2164-2172, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2011.2122347
- H. Zechun and L. Furong, "Cost-benefit analyses of active distribution network management, part II: investment reduction analysis," Smart Grid, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 1075-1081, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSG.2011.2177869
- "Gurobi Optimizer Reference Manual," Gutobi Optimization, Inc. Available: http://www.gurobi.com, 2012.
- R. A. Jabr, "Polyhedral formulations and loop elimination constraints for distribution network expansion planning," Power Systems, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 1888-1897, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2012.2230652
- M. Lavorato, J. F. Franco, M. J. Rider, et al, "Imposing Radiality Constraints in Distribution System Optimization Problems," Power Systems, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 172-180, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2011.2161349
- J. A. Taylor and F. S. Hover, "Convex models of distribution system reconfiguration," Power Systems, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 1407-1413, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2012.2184307
- M. S. Lobo, L. Vandenberghe, S. Boyd, et al, "Applications of second-order cone programming," Linear Algebra and Its Applications, vol. 284, pp. 193-284, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0024-3795(98)10032-0
- L. Na, C. Lijun, and S. H. Low, "Exact convex relaxation of OPF for radial networks using branch flow model," Smart Grid Communications (Smart GridComm), 2012 IEEE Third International Conference on, pp. 7-12, 2012.
- Macedo L.H., Franco J.F., Rider M.J., et al, "Optimal operation of distribution networks considering energy storage devices," Smart Grid, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 2825-2836, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSG.2015.2419134
- M. Farivar, C. R. Clarke, S. H. Low, et al, "Inverter VAR control for distribution systems with renewables," Smart Grid Communications (SmartGrid Comm), 2011 IEEE International Conference on, pp. 457-462, 2011.
- M. Grant and S. Boyd, "CVX: Matlab software for disciplined convex programming, version 2.0 beta," Available: http://cvxr.com/cvx, 2013.
- M. E. Baran and F. F. Wu, "Network reconfiguration in distribution systems for loss reduction and load balancing," Power Delivery, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 1401-1407, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1109/61.25627
- Portugal V, Ranito J, Proenca L M, "Genetic algorithms in optimal multistage distribution network planning," Power Systems, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 1927-1933, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1109/59.331452