- Volume 13 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Overvoltage Protection Controller Design of Distributed Generation Connected to Power Grid Considering Islanding Condition
- Cha, Jae-Hun (Sch. of Electric Engineering, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Park, Kyung-Won (LS Industrial System Corporation) ;
- Ahn, Hong-Seon (LS Industrial System Corporation) ;
- Kwon, Kyoung-Min (Woojin Industrial System) ;
- Oh, Jin-Hong (Sch. of Electric Engineering, Chungbuk National University) ;
- MAHIRANE, Philemon (Sch. of Electric Engineering, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Kim, Jae-Eon (Sch. of Electric Engineering, Chungbuk National University)
- Received : 2017.08.10
- Accepted : 2017.10.20
- Published : 2018.03.01
Distributed generation (DG) is being highlighted as an alternative for future power supplies, and the number of DG systems connected to conventional power systems is steadily increasing. DG generators are designed using power electronics and can give rise to various power quality problems, such as overvoltage or overcurrent. Particularly, unintentional islanding operation can occur in a conventional power system when the power grid is separated from the DG systems. Overvoltage may occur in this situation, depending on the power generation and power consumption. However, overvoltage phenomena might not happen even when islanding occurs. Therefore, it is necessary to analyze the fault characteristics during islanding. In this study, a fault analysis of islanding operation was carried out using PSCAD/EMTDC, and a countermeasure for the overvoltage problem is proposed.
Supported by : Korea Institute of Energy Technology Evaluation and Planning (KETEP)
- Bloomberg, "GLOBAL TRENDS IN RENEWABLE ENERGY INVESTMENT 2016," Frankfurt School-UNEP Centre/BNEF, 2016.
- H. Wan et al., "Multi-agent application in protection coordination of power system with distributed generations," IEEE Power and Energy Society General Meeting - Conversion and Delivery of Electrical Energy in the 21st Century, pp. 1-6, 2008.
- S. Chaitusaney and A. Yokoyama, "Impact of protection coordination of sizes of several distributed generation sources," International Power Engineering Conference, vol. 2, pp. 669-674, 2005.
- E. Coster et al, "Effect of DG on distribution grid protection," INTECH Open Access Publisher, pp. 93-116, 2010.
- Phil Barker, "Overvoltage Considerations in Applying Distributed Resources on Power Systems," IEEE Power Engineering Society Summer Meeting, vol. 1, pp. 109-114, 2002.
- J. Kennedy et al., "Overvoltage mitigation within distribution networks with a high renewable distributed generation penetration," 2014 IEEE International Energy Conference (ENERGYCON), pp. 1107-1114, 2014.
- Michael Ropp et al., "Ground Fault Overvoltage With Inverter-Interfaced Distributed Energy Resourece," IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON POWER DELIVERY, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 890-899. 2017. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2016.2577884
- Pouyan Saifi et al., "Influence of distributed generation interface transformer and DG configurations on Temporary Overvoltage (TOV)," IEEE Electrical and Computer Engineering (CCECE), pp. 1-8, 2010.
- A. Nelson et al, "Inverter Load Rejection Overvoltage Testing: SolarCity CRADA Task la Final Report," NREL Technical Report, 2015.
- Michael Ropp, "Ground Fault Overvoltage With Inverter-Interfaced Distributed Energy Resources," IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 890-899, Apr. 2017. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2016.2577884
- Joan Rocabert et al., "Control of Power Converters in AC Microgrid," IEEE Trans. Power Electronics, vol. 27, no. 11, pp. 4734-4749, Nov. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2199334
- Julia Merino et al., "Islanding Detection in Microgrids Using Harmonic Signatures," IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, vol. 52, issue 4, pp. 1126-1135, 2005.
- R. Bründlinger and Benoit Bletterie, "Unintentional islanding in distribution grids with a high penetration of inverter-based DG: Probability for islanding and protection methods", Power Tech, 2005 IEEE Russia, Jun., 2005.
- P. Barker, "Overvoltage considerations in applying distributed resources on power systems," 2002 IEEE Power Engineering Society Summer Meeting, 2002, vol. 1, pp. 109-114.
- Anmar Arif et al., "Load Modeling - A Review," IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, vol. PP, issue 99, pp. 1-1, 2017.
- IEEE Standards Association, "IEEE Std 399-1997 Recommended Practice for Industrial and Commercial Power Systems Analysis," IEEE Standards Association, Piscataway, 1997.
- P. Kunder, "Power System Stability and Control," McGraw Hill Inc., 1994.
- S.S. Shin et al., "A Fault Analysis on AC Microgrid with Distributed Generations," Journal of Electrical Engineering Technology, vol. 11, no. 6, 2016.
- IEEE Standards Association, "IEEE 1547 Standard for Interconnecting Distributed Resources with Electric Power Systems," IEEE Standards Association, Piscataway, 2003.
- International Electrotechnical Commission, "IEC 61727 ed2.0 Photovoltaic (PV) systems Characteristics of the utility interface," International Electrotechnical Commission, Geneva, 2004.
- VDE Association for Electrical, Electronic and Information Technologies, "VDE-AR-N 4105:2011-08 Power generation systems connected to the lowvoltage distribution network," VDE Association for Electrical, Electronic and Information Technologies, Frankfurt, 2011.
- BDEW German Association of Energy and Water Industries, "BDEW Generating Plants Connected to the Medium-Voltage Network," BDEW German Association of Energy and Water Industries, Berlin, 2008.
- Japan Electric Association, "Grid Interconnection Code (JEAC 9701-2012)", Japan Electric Association, 2012.
- Korea Electric Power Corporation, "Guideline of Interconnection Technology of Distributed Generation in Distribution System", Korea Electric Power Corporation, 2015.
- Josep M. Cuerrero et al, "Hierarchical Control of Droop-Controlled AC and DC Microgrid-A General Approach Toward Standardization", IEEE Trans. Power Electron, vol. 58, no. 1, pp. 916-924, 2011.