- Volume 13 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Techno-Economic Optimization of a Grid-Connected Hybrid Energy System Considering Voltage Fluctuation
- Saib, Samia (Laboratory of Automatics, Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Ferhat Abbas Setif1 University) ;
- Gherbi, Ahmed (Laboratory of Automatics, Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Ferhat Abbas Setif1 University) ;
- Kaabeche, Abdelhamid (Renewable Energy Development Center) ;
- Bayindir, Ramazan (Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Gazi University)
- Received : 2016.12.01
- Accepted : 2017.12.31
- Published : 2018.03.01
This paper proposes an optimization approach of a grid-connected photovoltaic and wind hybrid energy system including energy storage considering voltage fluctuation in the electricity grid. A techno-economic analysis is carried out in order to minimize the size of hybrid system by considering the benefit-cost. Lithium-ion battery type is used for both managing the electricity selling to the grid and reducing voltage fluctuation. A new technique is developed to limit the voltage perturbation caused by the solar irradiance and the wind speed through determining the state-of-charge of battery for every hour of a day. Improved particle swarm optimization (PSO) methods, referred to as FC-VACPSO which combines Fast Convergence Particle Swarm Optimization (FCPSO) method and Variable Acceleration Coefficient Based Particle Swarm Optimization (VACPSO) method are used to solve the optimization problem. A comparative study has been performed between standard PSO method and PSO based methods to extract the best size with the benefit cost. A sensitivity analysis has been studied for different kinds and costs of batteries, by considering variable and constant state-ofcharge of battery. The simulations, performed under Matlab environment, yield good results using the FC-VACPSO method regarding the convergence and the benefit cost of the hybrid system.
Supported by : University of Setif
- M. Nayeripour, M. Kheshti, Renewable Energy. Trends and Applications, Ed. InTech, Croatia, 2011.
- Akbar Maleki, Alireza Askarzadeh, "Artificial bee swarm optimization for optimum sizing of a stan d-alone PV/WT/FC hybrid system considering LP SP concept," J. Sol Energy, vol. 107, pp. 227-235, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solener.2014.05.016
- Yiwei Ma, Ping Yang, Hongxia Guo and Yuewu Wang, "Dynamic economic dispatch and control of a stand-alone micro-grid in Dongao Island," J Electr. Eng Technol, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 1432-1440, 2015. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2015.10.4.1432
- Bhandari, B., Lee, K., Lee, G. et al, "Optimization of hybrid renewable energy power systems," A review: Int. J.Precision. Eng and Manuf.-Green Technol, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 99-112, Jan 2015. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40684-015-0013-z
- Shakti Singh, Muesh Singh and S. C. Kaushik "A review on optimization techniques for sizing of solarwind hybrid energy systems," Int. Journal. Green Energy, vol. 13, issue 15, pp. 1564-1578, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1080/15435075.2016.1207079
- B. Ge, W. Wang, D. Bi, C.B. Rogers, F. Z. Peng, A.T. de Almeida, Haitham Abu Rub, "Energy storage system based power control for grid connected wind power farm," J. Elec Power. Energy Systs, vol. 44, pp. 115-122, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2012.07.021
- T. Nacer, A. Hamidat, O. Nadjemi, "Technoeconomic impacts analysis of a hybrid grid connected energy system applied for a cattle farm," J. Energy Proc, vol. 75, pp. 963-968, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.egypro.2015.07.292
- A. Kaabeche, R. Ibtiouen, "Techno-economic optimization of hybrid photovoltaic/wind/diesel/battery generation in a stand-alone power system," J. Sol Energy, vol. 103, pp. 171-182, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solener.2014.02.017
- Ce Shang, Dipti Srinivasan, Thomas Reindl, "An improved particle swarm optimization algorithm applied to battery sizing for stand-alone hybrid power systems," J. Electrical Power. Energy systems, vol. 74, pp. 104-117, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2015.07.009
- M. Durairasan, A. Kalaiselvan, Habeebullah Sait "Hybrid Technique for Locating and Sizing of Renewable Energy Resources in Power System," J Electr Eng. Technol.; vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 161-172, 2017. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2017.12.1.161
- E. Skoplaki, J. A. Palyvos, "On the temperature dependence of photovoltaic module electrical performance: A review of efficiency/power correlations," J. Sol Energy, vol. 83, pp. 614-624, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solener.2008.10.008
- H. Fathima, K. Palanisamy, "Optimized sizing, selection, and economic analysis of battery energy storage for grid connected wind /PV hybrid system," J Model. Sim Engin, pp. 1-16, 2015.
- Fatemeh Jahanbani, Gholam H. Riahy, "Optimum design of a hybrid renewable energy system," Renewable. Energy. Trends and applications, 2011.
- Rachid Belfkira, Lu Zhang, George Barakat, "Optimal sizing study of hybrid wind/PV/diesel power generation unit," J.Sol Energy, vol. 85, pp. 100-110, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solener.2010.10.018
- Akbar Maleki, Mehran Ameri, Fathollah pourfayaz, "Techno-economic analysis and optimal design of an off grid hybrid PV/wind/diesel system with battery storage," J Engin. Appl Scien, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 23-39, 2014.
- H. Yang, L. Lu, W. Zhou, "A Novel optimization sizing model for hybrid solar-wind power generation system," J. Sol Energy, vol. 81, pp. 76-84, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solener.2006.06.010
- Hamid Hassan Zadehfard, Seyed Masoud Moghaddas Tafreshi, Seyed Mehdi Hakimi, "Optimization of grid connected micro grid consisting of PV/FC/UC with considered frequency control," J Elec Engin. Comp. Scien, pp. 1-16, 2015.
- Azadeh Kamjoo, Alireza Maheri, Ghanim A Putrus, "Chance constrained programming using non-Gaussian joint distribution function in design of standalone hybrid renewable energy systems," J. Energy, vol. 66, pp. 677-688, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2014.01.027
- S. Mina Mirbagheri, S. Mohsen Mirhassani, Hazlie Mokhlis, "Techno-economic optimization for a hybrid PV/Wind/battery stand-alone system using imperialistic competitive algorithm," J Chem. Environ Engin, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 105-110, 2014.
- Saeid Lotfi Trazouei, Farid Lotfi Trazouei, Mohammad Ghiamy, "Optimal design of a hybrid solar/wind/ diesel power system for rural electri-fication using imperialist competitive algorithm," J. Renewable. Energy Res, vol. 3, no. 2, 2013.
- S. Gangwar, D. Bhanja, A. Biswas, "Cost reliability and sensitivity of a standalone hybrid renewable energy system - A case study on a lecture building with low load factor," J. Ren. Sust Energy, vol. 7, 2015.
- A. Hiendro, R. Kurnianto, M. Rajagukguk, Y. M Simanjuntak, "Techno-economic analysis of photo voltaic/wind hybrid system for onshore/remote area in Indonesia," J. Energy, vol. 59, pp. 652-657, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2013.06.005
- Hai Lan, Shuli Wen, Ying Yi Hong, David. C. Yu, Lijun Zhang, "Optimal sizing of hybrid PV/diesel/ battery in ship power system," J. Appl Energy, vol. 158, pp. 26-34, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2015.08.031
- C. Shuaixun, H. B. Gooi, M. Wang, "Sizing of energy storage for microgrids," IEEE Trans. on Smart Grid, vol. 3, no. 1, 2012.
- Saber Arabi. Nowdeh, Abbas Rajabi. Ghahvanieh, Saheb Khanbdal, "PV/FC/wind hybrid system optimal sizing using PSO modified algorithm," Bulletin Polytechnic Inst. Tech. University Gheorghe Asachi Iasi, vol. 4, pp. 49-66, 2012.
- A. Sahu, S. Kumar Panigrahi, S. Pattnaik, "Fast Convergence Particle Swarm Optimization for Functions Optimization," J. Proc. Technol, vol. 4, pp. 319-324, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.protcy.2012.05.048
- Krishna T.C., Manjaree P, Laxmi S, "Particle swarm optimization with time varying acceleration coefficients for non-convex economic power dispatch," Elec Power. Energy Syst, vol. 31, pp. 249-257, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2009.01.010
- Xin Qiu, Tu A. Nguyen, Joe. D. Guggenberger, M.L. Crow, A.C. Elmore, "A field validated model of a vanadium redox flow battery for micro grids," IEEE Trans. Smart Grid, vol.5, no.4, pp.1592-1601, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSG.2014.2310212
- M. C. Falvo, L. Martirano, D. Sbordone, E. Bocci, "Technologies for smart grids: a brief review," Int. Conf. On Environmental and Electrical Engineering, Poland, 05-08 May 2013.