- Volume 13 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Fault Tolerant Control Methods for Dual Type Independent Multi-Phase BLDC Motor under the Open-Switch Fault Conditions
- Kim, Yong-Hyu (Automotive Parts Technology Support Center) ;
- Heo, Hong-Jun (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Pusan National University) ;
- Park, June-Ho (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Pusan National University) ;
- Kim, Jang-Mok (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Pusan National University)
- Received : 2017.06.20
- Accepted : 2017.11.06
- Published : 2018.03.01
Dual type Independent multi-phase BLDC Motor (DI-BLDCM) is designed to be robust to faulty conditions of motor and drive system. Despite the efforts of the motor design, open-switch faults of DI-BLDCM drive system cause the torque ripple of the motor. This torque ripple makes unwanted sound noise and mechanical vibration of associated systems. This paper proposes four methods for compensating the torque ripple and compares the characteristics of each proposed method. All proposed methods are able to reduce the torque ripple to similar level of the healthy condition, although the motor operates in open-switch fault conditions. However, these methods have different characteristics in various fault conditions. Therefore, from the results of the comparison, the suitable method is selected for the various fault conditions. The feasibility of the proposed methods is proved by the several experimental results.
Supported by : Korea Institute of Energy Technology Evaluation and Planning
- Rene Spee and Alan K. Wallace, "Remedial Strategies for Brushless DC Drive Failures," IEEE Trans. on Industry Appl., vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 259-266, Mar./Apr. 1990. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.54251
- Silverio Bolognani, Marco Zordan and Mauro Zigliotto "Experimental Fault-Tolerant Control of a PMSM Drive," IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, vol. 47, no. 5, pp. 1134-1141, Oct. 2000.
- Brian A. Welchko, Thomas A. Lipo, Thomas M. Jahns and Steven E. Schulz "Fault Tolerant Three-Phase AC Motor Drive Topologies: A Comparison of Features, Cost and Limitations," IEEE Trans. on Power Electronics, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 1108-1116, Jul. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2004.830074
- Tian-Hua Liu, Jen-Ren Fu and Thomas A. Lipo, "A Strategy for Improving Reliability of Field-Oriented Controlled Induction Motor Drives," IEEE Trans. on Industry Appl., vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 910-918, Sep./Oct. 1993. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.245714
- Debaprasad Kastha and Bimal K. Bose, "Fault Mode Single-Phase Operation of a Variable Frequency Induction Motor Drive and Improvement of Pulsating Torque Charateristics," IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, vol. 41, no. 4, pp. 426-433, Aug. 1994. https://doi.org/10.1109/41.303793
- Wubin Kong, Jin Huang, Min Kang, Bingnan Li and Lihang Zhao, "Fault-Tolerant Control of Five-Phase Induction Motor Under Single-Phase Open," Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 899-907, May 2014. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2014.9.3.899
- Tilak Gopalarathnam, Hamid A. Toliyat and Julio C. Moreira, "Multi-Phase Fault-Tolerant Brushless DC Motor Drives," in Proc. Industry Appl. Conf., pp. 1683-1688, Oct. 2000.
- J.A. Haylock, B.C. Mecrow, A.G. Jack and D.J. Atkinson, "Operation of a fault tolerant PM drive for an aerospace fuel pump application," IEE Proceedings - Electric Power Appl., vol. 145, no. 5, pp. 441-448, Sep. 1998. https://doi.org/10.1049/ip-epa:19982164
- N. Ertugrul, W. Soong, G. Dostal and D. Saxon, "Fault Tolerant Motor Drive System with Redundancy for Critical Applications," in Proc. Power Electronics Specialists Conf. 2002. PESC 02. 2002 IEEE 33rd Annual, vol. 3, pp. 1457-1462, June 2002.
- Byoung-Gun Park, Tae-Sung Kim, Ji-su Ryu, Byoung-Kuk Lee and Dong-Seok Hyun, "Fault Tolerant System under Open Phase Fault for BLDC Motor Drives," in Proc. IEEE Power Electronics Specialists Conf. 2006. PESC 06. 2006 IEEE 37th Annual, pp. 1-6, Jun. 2006.