- Volume 13 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Power Gain during Partial Shade Condition with Partial Shade Loss Compensation in Photovoltaic System
- Yoon, Byung-Keun (School of Electronics Engineering, Kyung-pook National University) ;
- Yun, Chul (School of Electronics Engineering, Kyung-pook National University) ;
- Cho, Nae-Soo (Dept. of Electronics Information, Keimyung College University) ;
- Choi, Sang-Back (Digital Korea Co. LTD.) ;
- Jin, Yong-Su (Digital Korea Co. LTD.) ;
- Kwon, Woo-Hyen (School of Electronics Engineering, Kyung-pook National University)
- Received : 2017.05.13
- Accepted : 2017.11.14
- Published : 2018.03.01
This paper presents an analysis of the power gain under partial shading conditions (PSC) when the partial shade loss is being compensated in photovoltaic(PV) system. To analyze the power gain, our study divides the mismatch loss into partial shade loss and operating point loss. Partial shade loss is defined as the power difference between a normal string and a partially shaded string at the maximum power point (MPP). Operating point loss is defined as the power loss due to the operating point shift while following the MPP of the PV array. Partial shading in a PV system affects the maximum power point tracking (MPPT) control by creating multiple MPPs, which causes mismatch losses. Several MPPT algorithms have been suggested to solve the multiple MPP problems. Among these, mismatch compensation algorithms require additional power to compensate for the mismatch loss; however, these algorithms do not consider the gain or loss between the input power required for compensation and the increased output power obtained after compensation. This paper analyzes the power gain resulting from the partial shade loss compensation under PSC, using the V-P curve of the PV system, and verifies that power gain existence by simulation and experiment.
Supported by : Korea Institute of Energy Technology Evaluation and Planning(KETEP)
- Kirpichnikova I.M., Maliugina A.A, The Energy Efficiency of Photovoltaic Power Plants, in Proceedings of ICIEAM Conference, Chelyabinsk, Russia, May 2016.
- Mariusz Malinowski, Jose I. Leon and Haitham Abu-Rub, Solar Photovoltaic and Thermal Energy Systems: Current Technology and Future Trends, IEEE Early Access Articles, pp.1-15, 2017.
- Neha Agarwal and Alok Agarwal, "Mismatch Losses in Solar Photovoltaic Array and Reduction Techniques," MIT International Journal of Electrical and Instrumentation Engineering, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 16-19, Jan. 2014.
- N. D. Kaushika, Anil K. Rai, "An investigation of mismatch losses in solar photovoltaic cell networks," Energy, vol. 32, no. 5, pp. 755-759, Jun. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2006.06.017
- D. Picault, B. Raison, S. Bacha, J. de la Casa, J. Aguilera, "Forecasting photovoltaic array power production subject to mismatch losses," Solar Energy, vol. 84, no. 7, pp.1301-1309, Jul. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solener.2010.04.009
- Mutlu Boztepe, Francesc Guinjoan, Guillermo Velasco-Quesada, Santiago Silvestre, Aissa Chouder and Engin Karatepe, "Global MPPT Scheme for Photovoltaic String Inverters Based on Restricted Voltage Window Search Algorithm," IEEE Tran. on Industrial Electronics, vol. 61, no. 7, pp. 3302-3312, Jul. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2013.2281163
- S. Roy Chowdhury and H. Saha, "Maximum power point tracking of partially shaded solar photovoltaic arrays," Solar Energy Mater. Solar Cells, vol. 94, no. 9, pp. 1441-1447, Sep. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solmat.2010.04.011
- H. Taheri, Z. Salam, K. Ishaque, and Syafaruddin, A novel maximum power point tracking control of photovoltaic system under partial and rapidly fluctuating shadow conditions using differential evolution, ISIEA, 2010, p. 82-87.
- P. Lei, Y. Li, and J. E. Seem, "Sequential ESC-based global MPPT control for photovoltaic array with variable shading," IEEE Trans. Sustain. Energy, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 348-358, Jul. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSTE.2011.2141692
- L. L. Jiang, D. L. Maskell, and J. C. Patra, "A novel ant colony optimization-based maximum power point tracking for photovoltaic systems under partially shaded conditions," Energy Buildings, vol. 58, pp. 227-236, Dec. 2012.
- B. N. Alajmi, K. H. Ahmed, S. J. Finney, and B. W. Williams, "A maximum power point tracking technique for partially shaded photovoltaic systems in microgrids," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 60, no. 4, pp. 1596-1606, Apr. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2011.2168796
- K. Kobayashi, I. Takano, and Y. Sawada, "A study of a two stage maximum power point tracking control of a photovoltaic system under partially shaded insolation conditions," Solar Energy Mater. Solar Cells, vol. 90, no. 18/19, pp. 2975-2988, Nov. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solmat.2006.06.050
- H. Patel and V. Agarwal, "Maximum power point tracking scheme for PV systems operating under partially shaded conditions," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 55, no. 4, pp. 1689-1698, Apr. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2008.917118
- T. L. Nguyen and K. S. Low, "A global maximum power point tracking scheme employing DIRECT search algorithm for photovoltaic systems," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 57, no. 10, pp. 3456-3467, Oct. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2009.2039450
- L. F. L. Villa, T.-P. Ho, J.-C. Crebier, and B. Raison, "A power electronics equalizer application for partially shaded photovoltaic modules," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 1179-1190, Mar. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2012.2201431
- Hee-Wook Ahn, "Analysis of Module Mismatch Loss in Solar PV String and Feasibility Study for Improvement Method," Journal of Korean Solar Energy Society, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 58-63, Feb. 2009.
- Hee-Wook Ahn, Gi-Yob Park, "Compensation of PV Module Current for Reduction of Mismatch Losses in PV system," Journal of the Korean Solar Energy Society, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 26-32, Jun. 2012. https://doi.org/10.7836/kses.2012.32.3.026
- Tomokazu mishima, Tokuo ohnishi, "A Power Compensation and Control System for a Partially Shaded PV Array," Electrical Engineering in Japan, vol. 146, no. 3, pp. 74-82, Dec. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1002/eej.10203
- Tomokazu mishima, Tokuo ohnishi, "Power compensation System for Partially Shaded PV Array using Electric Double layer Capacitor," in Proceedings of IEEE IECON02 Conference, Sevilla, Spain, November 2002.
- Tomokazu mishima, Tokuo ohnishi, "Power compensation System for Partially Shaded PV Array using Electric Double layer Capacitor," in Proceedings of IEEE IECON03 Conference, Roanoke, USA, November 2003.
- Tomokazu mishima, Tokuo ohnishi, "Power compensation System for Partially Shaded PV Array using Electric Double layer Capacitor," in Proceedings of IEEE PEDS Conference, Singapore, Singapore, November 2003.
- E. Karatepe, T. Hiyama, M. Boztepe, and M. Colak, "Voltage based power compensation system for photovoltaic generation system under partially shaded insolation conditions," in Proceedings of IEEE ISAP Conference, Toki Messe, Japan, November 2007.
- E. Karatepe, T. Hiyama, M. Boztepe, and M. Colak, "Voltage based power compensation system for photovoltaic generation system under partially shaded insolation conditions," Energy Conv. Manag., vol.49, no.8, pp.2307-2316, Aug. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2008.01.012
- ByungKeun. Yoon, SeungYeon Kim, SangBack Choi, YongSu Jin, Cul Yun, WooHyen Kwon, "PV Module Mismatch Power Loss Analysis by Partial Shade and Study for Improving the Power Loss," New& Renewable Eergy, vol. 12, no. 4, Dec. 2016.
- S. Silvestre, A. Boronat, and A. Chouder, "Study of bypass diodes configuration on PV modules," Appl.Energy, vol. 86, no. 9, pp. 1632-1640 Sep. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2009.01.020
- T. Esram and P. L. Chapman, "Comparison of photovoltaic array maximum power point tracking techniques," IEEE Trans. Energy Conversion, vol. 22, no. 2, Jun. 2007.
- M. Veerachary, T. Senjyu, and K. Uezato, "Neural network based maximum power point tracking of coupled inductor interleaved boost converter supplied PV system using fuzzy controller," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 50, pp. 749-758, Aug. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2003.814762
- R. Arulmurugan and T. Venkatesan, "Research and Experimental Implementation of a CV-FOINC Algorithm Using MPPT for PV Power System," Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 1389-1399, Oct. 2015. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2015.10.4.1389
- Seung-Tak Kim, Tae-Ho Bang, Seong-Chan Lee and Jung-Wook Park, "Real-Time Maximum Power Point Tracking Method Based on Three points Approximation by Digital Controller for PV system," Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 1447-1453, Sept. 2014. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2014.9.5.1447
- Sanghoey Lee, Jae-Eon Kim and Hanju Cha, "Design and Implementation of Photovoltaic Power Conditioning System Using a Current-Based Maximum Power Point Tracking," Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 606-613, Oct. 2010. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2010.5.4.606
- R.Ramaprabha and B.L. Mathur, "A Comprehensive Review and Analysis of Solar Photovoltaic Array Configuration under Partial Shaded Conditions," International Journal of Photoenergy, vol. 2012, pp. 1-16., Nov. 2011.
- G. Velasco-Quesada, F. Guinjoan-Gispert, R. Pique-Lopez, M. Roman-Lumbreras, and A. Conesa-Roca, "Electrical PV array reconfiguration strategy for energy extraction improvement in grid-connected PV systems," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 56, no. 11, pp. 4319-4331, Nov. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2009.2024664
- D. Nguyen and B. Lehman, "An adaptive solar photovoltaic array using model-based reconfiguration algorithm," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 55, no. 7, pp. 2644-2654, Jul. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2008.924169