- Volume 13 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Single-phase Buck-boost AC-AC Converter with Three Legs
- Zhou, Min (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Central South University) ;
- Sun, Yao (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Central South University) ;
- Su, Mei (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Central South University) ;
- Li, Xing (Dept. of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Hunan University) ;
- Liu, Fulin (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Central South University) ;
- Liu, Yonglu (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Central South University)
- Received : 2016.08.23
- Accepted : 2017.11.25
- Published : 2018.03.01
This paper proposes a single-phase buck-boost AC-AC converter. It consists of three legs with six switching units (each unit is composed of an active switch and a diode) and its input and output ports share a common ground. It can provide buck-boost voltage operation and immune from shoot-through problem. Since only two switching units are involved in the current paths, the conduction losses are low, which improves the system efficiency. The operation principle of the proposed circuit is firstly presented, and then, various operation conditions are introduced to achieve different output voltages with step-changed frequencies. Additionally, the parameters design and comparative analysis of the power losses are also given. Finally, experimental results verify the correctness of the proposed converter.
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China, Natural Science Foundation of Hunan province of China
- A. M. Rauf and V. Khadkikar, "An enhanced voltage sag compensation Scheme for dynamic voltage restorer," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 62, no. 5, pp. 2683-2692, May 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2014.2362096
- F. Z. Peng, L. Chen, and F. Zhang, "Simple topologies of PWM ac-ac converters," IEEE Power Electron. Lett., vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 10-13, Mar. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/LPEL.2003.814961
- R. Stala, S. Pirog, M. Baszynski, A. Mondzik, A. Penczek, J. Czekonski, and S. Gasiorek, "Results of investigation of multicell converters with balancing circuit - Part I," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 56, no. 7, pp. 2610-2619, Jul. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2009.2021681
- H. Sarnago, O. Lucia, A. Mediano, and J. M. Burdioo, "Direct ac-ac resonant boost converter for efficient domestic induction heating applications," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 1128-1139, Mar. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2262154
- B. H. Kwon, G. Y. Jeong, S. H. Han, and D. H. Lee, "Novel line conditioner with voltage up/down capability," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., vol. 49, no. 5, pp. 1110-1119, Oct. 2002.
- S. Srinivasan and G. Venkataramanan, "Design of a versatile three-phase AC line conditioner," in Proc. IEEE Ind. Appl. Soc. Conf., Oct. 1995, vol. 3, pp. 2492-2499.
- Z. Fedyczak, R. Strzelecki, and G. Benysek, "Singlephase PWM AC/AC semiconductor transformer topologies and applications," in Proc. 33rd Annu. IEEE Power Electron. Spec. Conf., Jun. 2002, pp. 1048-1053.
- X. Liu, P. Wang, P. C. Loh, and F. Blaabjerg, "A compact three-phase single-input/dual-output matrix converter," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 59, no. 1, pp. 6-16, Jan. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2011.2146216
- Y. Sun, X. Li, M. Su, H. Wang, H. Dan, and W. Xiong, "Indirect matrix converter-based topology and modulation schemes for enhancing input reactive power capability," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 30, no. 9, pp. 4669-4681, Sep. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2014.2363656
- X. Li, Y. Sun, M. Su, H. Dan, and W. Xiong, "Modulation strategy based on mathematical construction for matrix converter extending the input reactive power range," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 654-664, Feb. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2256929
- A. Agarwal, and V. Agarwal, "Staircase modulated AC to AC converter," International Conference on Power, Control and Embedded Systems (ICPCES), Dec. 2010, pp. 1-5.
- N. Nguyen-Quang, D. A. Stone, C.M. Bingham, and M. P. Foster, "Single phase matrix converter for radio frequency induction heating," in Proc. SPEEDAM, 2006, pp. S18-28-S18-32.
- S. Sunter and O. Aydogmus, "Implementation of a single-phase matrix converter induction motor drive," Springer Electr. Eng., vol. 90, no. 6, pp. 425-433, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00202-007-0093-z
- C.-M. Young, H.-L. Chen and M.-H. Chen., "A Cockcroft-walton voltage multiplier fed by a threephase-to-single phase matrix converter with PFC," IEEE Trans. Industry Applications, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 1994-2004, May-June. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2013.2287479
- Z. Idris, M. K. Hamzah, "Implementation of a new single-phase cycloconverter based on single-phase matrix converter topology using sinusoidal pulse width modulation with passive load condit," IEEE Conf. on Ind. Electron. and Appl., 2006, pp. 1-6.
- Y.-D. Yoon, and S.-K. Sul, "Carrier-based modulation technique for matrix converter," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 1691-1703, Nov. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2006.882935
- H. Hojabri, H. Mokhtari, and L. Chang, "A generalized technique of modeling, analysis, and control of a matrix converter using SVD," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 58, no. 3, pp. 949-959, Mar. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2048836
- D. Casadei, J. Clare, L. Empringham, G. Serra, A. Tani, P. Wheeler, and L. Zarri, "Large-signal model for the stability analysis of matrix converters," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 939-950, Apr. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2007.891999
- M.-K. Nguyen, Y.-G. Jung, Y.-C. Lim, and Y.-M. Kim, "A single-phase Z-source buck-boost matrix converter," IEEE Tran. Power Electron., vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 453-462, Feb. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2009.2028890
- H. Shin, H. Cha, H. Kim, and D. Yoo, "Novel singlephase PWM AC-AC converters solving commutation problem using switching cell structure and coupled inductor," IEEE Trans. Power Electron, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 2117-2147, Apr. 2015.
- Z. Idris, S. Z. Mohammad Noor, and M. K. Hamzah, "Safe Commutation Strategy in Single Phase Matrix Converter," in IEEE International Conference on Power Electronics and Drives Systems, 2005, pp. 886-891.
- X. Yin, Y. Lin, W. Li, H. Liu, and Y. Gu, "Adaptive sliding mode back-stepping pitch angle control of a variable-displacement pump controlled pitch system for wind turbines," ISA Trans 2015;58: 629-34. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.isatra.2015.07.006
- H. W. Park, S. J. Park, J. G. Park, and C. U. Kim, "A novel high performance voltage regulator for singlephase AC sources," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 48, no. 3, pp. 554-562, Jun, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/41.925582
- S. J. Chiang, T. S. Lee, and J. M. Chang, "Design and implementation of a single phase three-arms rectifier inverter," Proc. IEE - Elect. Power Appl., vol. 147, no. 5, pp. 379-384, Sep. 2000. https://doi.org/10.1049/ip-epa:20000509
- J. H. Choi, J. M. B. Kwon, J. H. Jung, and B. H. Kwon, "High performance online UPS using threeleg-type converter," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 52, no. 3, pp. 889-897, Jun, 2005.
- A. Nasiri and A. Emadi, "Different topologies for single-phase unified power quality conditioners," in Proc. 38th IAS Annu. Meet., Oct. 2003, vol. 2, pp. 976-981.
- Y. Lu, G. Xiao, X. Wang, F. Blaabjerg, and D. Lu, "Control strategy for single-phase transformerless three-leg unified power quality conditioner based on space vector modulation," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 31, pp. 2840-2849, April 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2015.2449781
- A. A. M. Bento, E. R. C. da Silva, and P. P. Praga, "Integrated one-cycle control for three-leg universal active power filter," in 2008 IEEE Power Electronics Specialists Conference, pp. 3974-3980, June 2008.
- H. Wang and F. Blaabjerg, "Reliability of capacitors for DC-link applications in power electronic converters - an overview, " IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., vol. 50, no. 5, pp. 3569-3578, Sep./Oct, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2014.2308357
- H. F. Ahmed, H. Cha, A. A. Khan, J. Kim and J. Cho, "A Single-Phase Buck-Boost Matrix Converter with Only Six Switches and Without Commutation Problem," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 1232-1244, Feb. 2017. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2016.2553044
- X. Yin, Y. Lin, W. Li, H. Liu, and Y. Gu, "Fuzzylogic sliding-mode control strategy for extracting maximum wind power," IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 1267-1278, Dec. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2015.2422211
- D. C. Lee and Y. S. Kim, "Control of single-phase-tothree-phase ac/dc/ac PWM converters for induction motor drives," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 797-804, Apr. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2007.891780
- H.-S. Jung, S.-J. Chee, S.-K. Sul, Y.-J. Park, H.-S. Park, and W.-K. Kim, "Control of three-phase inverter for AC motor drive with small DC-link capacitor fed by single-phase AC source," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., vol.50, no. 2, pp. 1074-1081, Mar.-Apr. 2014 https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2013.2288238
- X. Yin, Y. Lin, W. Li, Y Gu, H Liu, P Lei, "A novel fuzzy integral sliding mode current control strategy for maximizing wind power extraction and eliminating voltage harmonics," Energy 2015;85: 677-86. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2015.04.005
- X. Yin, Y. Lin, W. Li, Y. Gu, P. Lei, H Liu, "Sliding mode voltage control strategy for capturing maximum wind energy based on fuzzy logic control," Int J Electr Power Energy Syst 2015;70:45-51. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2015.01.029
- M. Su, H. Li, Y. Sun, W. Xiong, "A High-Efficiency Bidirectional AC/DC Topology for V2G Applications," Journal of Power Electronics, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 899-907, Sep. 2014. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2014.14.5.899
- B. Wang and G. Venkataramanan, "Analytical modeling of semiconductor losses in matrix converters," in Proc. IEEE Power Electron. Motion Control Conf., 2006, pp. 1-8.