- Volume 13 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Study of Several Silica Properties Influence on Sapphire CMP
- Wang, Haibo (Department of Electronic Information Engineering, Hefei Normal University) ;
- Zhang, Zhongxiang (Department of Electronic Information Engineering, Hefei Normal University) ;
- Lu, Shibin (Department of Electronic Information Engineering, Hefei Normal University)
- Received : 2017.09.25
- Accepted : 2017.11.27
- Published : 2018.03.01
Colloid silica using as abrasive for polishing sapphire has been extensively studied, which mechanism has also been deeply discussed. However, by the requirement of application enlargement and cost reduction, some new problems appear such as silica service life time, particle diameter mixing, etc. In this paper, several influences of colloid silica usage on sapphire CMP are examined. Results show particle diameter and concentration, pH value, service life time, particle diameter mixing heavily influence removal rate. Further analysis discloses there are two main effect aspects which are quantity of hydroxyl group, contact area for abrasive density stacking between abrasive and sapphire. Based on the discussions, a dynamic process of sapphire polishing is proposed.
- F. Schmid, C. P. Khattak, and J. C. Lambropoulos, "Correlation of crystallographic orientation with processing of sapphire optics," Proceedings of SPIE -The International Society for Optical Engineering, vol. 3705, pp. 85-92, 1999.
- M. F. Schubert, S. Chhajed, K. S. Kim, E. Fred Schubert, and J. Cho, "Polarization of light emission by 460 nm GaInN/GaN light-emitting diodes grown on (0001) oriented sapphire substrates," Applied Physics Letters, vol. 91, no. 5, pp. 107, 2007.
- H. Zhu, D. E. Niesz, V. A. Greenhut, and R. Sabia, "The effect of abrasive hardness on the chemicalassisted polishing of (0001) plane sapphire," Journal of materials research, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 504-520, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1557/JMR.2005.0072
- Z. Zhang, W. Liu, Z. Song, and X. Hu, "Two-step chemical mechanical polishing of sapphire substrate," Journal of The Electrochemical Society, vol. 157, no. 6, pp. H688-H691, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1149/1.3410116
- W. Xiong, X. F. Chu, Y. P. Dong, L. Bi, M. F. Ye, and W. Q. Sun, "Effect of different abrasives on sapphire chemical-mechanical polishing," Journal of Synthetic Crystals, vol. 42, no. 6, pp. 1064-1069, 2013.
- Z. Zhang, W. Liu, and Z. Song, "Particle size and surfactant effects on chemical mechanical polishing of glass using silica-based slurry," Applied Optics, vol. 49, no. 28, pp. 5480-5, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1364/AO.49.005480
- J. Wang, Y. L. Liu, B. M. Tan, W. W. Li, J. W. Zhou, and X. H. Niu, "Chemical mechanical polishing of sapphire substrate," Microfabrication Technology, vol. 157, no. 6, pp. H688-H691, 2005.
- C. Park, H. Kim, S. Lee, and H. Jeong, "The influence of abrasive size on high-pressure chemical mechanical polishing of sapphire wafer," International Journal of Precision Engineering and Manufacturing-Green Technology, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 157-162, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40684-015-0020-0
- Y. Zhou, G. Pan, H. Gong, and X. Shi, "Characterization of sapphire chemical mechanical polishing performances using silica with different sizes and their removal mechanisms," Colloids & Surfaces A Physicochemical & Engineering Aspects, vol., 2016.
H. Lei and Q. Gu, "Preparation of Fe-doped colloidal
$SiO_2$abrasives and their chemical mechanical polishing behavior on sapphire substrates," Applied Optics, vol. 54, no. 24, pp. 7188-7194, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1364/AO.54.007188
H. Lei and K. Tong, "Preparation of La-doped colloidal
$SiO_2$composite abrasives and their chemical mechanical polishing behavior on sapphire substrates," Precision Engineering, vol. 44, pp. 124-130, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.precisioneng.2015.10.009
H. Lei, Q. Gu, R. Chen, and Z. Wang, "Preparation of Fe-doped colloidal
$SiO_2$abrasives and their chemical mechanical polishing behavior on sapphire substrates," Materials Chemistry & Physics, vol. 26, no. 12, pp. 10194-10200, 2015.
- A. S. Bulick, H. Nishizawa, K. Moriyama, K. Yoshida, S. Ezawa, and S. Arumugam, "Chemical mechanical polishing composition for polishing a sapphire surface and methods of using same," 2017.
- J. Liu, Y. Liu, X. Xiang, and N. Bian, "Effects of Abrasive on Removal Rate of Sapphire Substrate," Semiconductor Technology, vol. 35, no. 11, pp. 1064-1053, 2010.
- Z. C. Lin and R. Y. Wang, "Abrasive removal depth for polishing a sapphire wafer by a cross-patterned polishing pad with different abrasive particle sizes," International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, vol. 74, no. 1-4, pp. 25-36, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-014-5982-5
- X. H. Niu, Y. H. Huang, J. W. Zhou, L. Y. Han, and G. H. Yuan, "Influence of Nano Abrasive on Chemical Mechanical Ultra-Precision Machining of Sapphire Substrate Surfaces," Key Engineering Materials, vol. 609-610, pp. 130-134, 2014. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/KEM.609-610.130
T. Hoshino, Y. Kurata, Y. Terasaki, and K. Susa, "Mechanism of polishing of
$SiO_2$films by $CeO_2$particles," Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids, vol. 283, no. 1, pp. 129-136, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-3093(01)00364-7
- W. Yan, Z. Zhang, X. Guo, W. Liu, and Z. Song, "The effect of ph on sapphire chemical mechanical polishing," ECS Journal of Solid State Science and Technology, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. P108-P111, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1149/2.0241503jss
- Y. Liu, K. Zhang, F. Wang, and W. Di, "Investigation on the final polishing slurry and technique of silicon substrate in ULSI," Microelectronic Engineering, vol. 66, no. 1-4, pp. 438-444, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-9317(02)00908-5
- Y. Wei-Xia, Z. Ze-Fang, G. Xiao-Hui, L. Wei-Li, and S. Zhi-Tang, "Effect of Abrasive Concentration on Chemical Mechanical Polishing of Sapphire," Chinese Physics Letters, vol. 32, no. 8, pp. 088301, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1088/0256-307X/32/8/088301
- R. K. Iler, Chemistry of Silica. 1979: J. Wiley.
- Z. Zhang, W. Yan, L. Zhang, W. Liu, and Z. Song, "Effect of mechanical process parameters on friction behavior and material removal during sapphire chemical mechanical polishing," Microelectronic Engineering, vol. 88, no. 9, pp. 3020-3023, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mee.2011.04.068
- J. Luo and D. A. Dornfeld, "Material removal mechanism in chemical mechanical polishing: theory and modeling," Semiconductor Manufacturing IEEE Transactions on, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 112-133, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/66.920723