- Volume 13 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
PD Signal Time-Frequency Map and PRPD Pattern Analysis of Nano SiO2 Modified Palm Oil for Transformer Insulation Applications
- Arvind Shriram, R.K. (Research Scholar, Anna University Chennai) ;
- Chandrasekar, S. (Dept. of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Sona College of Technology) ;
- Karthik, B. (Dept. of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Sona College of Technology)
- Received : 2017.05.17
- Accepted : 2017.12.04
- Published : 2018.03.01
In recent times, development of nanofluid insulation for power transformers is a hot research topic. Many researchers reported the enhancement in dielectric characteristics of nano modified mineral oils. Considering the drawbacks of petroleum based mineral oil, it is necessary to understand the dielectric characteristics of nanofluids developed with natural ester based oils. Palm oil has better insulation characteristics comparable to mineral oil. However very few research reports is available in the area of nanofluids based on palm oil. Partial discharge (PD) is one of the major sources of insulation performance degradation of transformer oil. It is essential to understand the partial discharge(PD) characteristics by collecting huge data base of PD performance of nano modified palm oil which will increase its confidence level for power transformer application. Knowing these facts, in the present work, certain laboratory experiments have been performed on PD characteristics of nano
- Chandrasekar, S and Gian Carlo Montanari, "Analysis of Partial Discharge Characteristics of Natural Esters as Dielectric Fluid for Electric Power Apparatus Applications," IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, vol. 21, no. 3 pp. 1251-1259, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TDEI.2014.6832272
- Martin, N. Lelekakis, W. Guo, and Y. Odarenko, "Further Studies of a Vegetable-Oil-Filled Power Transformer," IEEE Electr. Insul. Mag., vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 6-13, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/MEI.2011.6059976
- Banumathi, S. and Chandrasekar, "Analysis Of Breakdown Strength And Physical Characteristics of Vegetable Oils for High Voltage Insulation Applications," Journal of Advances in Chemistry, vol. 12, no. 16, pp. 4902-4912, 2016
- Kiasatina Azmi, Azmier Ahmad and Mohamad Kamarol, "Study of Dielectric Properties of a Potential RBD Palm Oil and RBD Soybean Oil Mixture as Insulating Liquid in Transformer," Journal of Electrical Engineering and Technology, vol.10, no.5 pp. 2105-2119, 2015. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2015.10.5.2105
- Yee Von Thien, Norhafiz Azis, Jasronita Jasni, Mohd Zainal Abidin Ab Kadir, Robiah Yunus, Mohd Taufiq Ishak and Zaini Yaakub, "Evaluation on the Lightning Breakdown Voltages of Palm Oil and Coconut Oil under Non-Uniform Field at Small Gap Distances," Journal of Electrical Engineering and Technology, vol.11, no.1, pp. 184-191, 2016. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2016.11.1.184
- S.Senthilkumar, B.Karthik and S. Chandrasekar, "Investigations on PD Characteristics of Thermal aged Palm and Corn Oil for Power Transformer Insulation Applications," Journal of Electrical Engineering and Technology, vol. 9, no. 5 pp. 1660-1669, Sep 2014. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2014.9.5.1660
- Banumathi, S. and Chandrasekar, S., "Aging effect on Partial Discharge Characteristics of Olive oil as an Alternative Liquid Insulating Medium. Research Journal of Applied Sciences, Engineering and Technology, vol. 9, no. 9, 745-754, 2015. https://doi.org/10.19026/rjaset.9.2620
- Huifei Jin, Thomas Andritsch, Ioannis A. Tsekmes, Roman Kochetov, Peter H.F. Morshuis, Johan J. Smit, "Properties of Mineral Oil based Silica Nanofluids," IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 1100-1108, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TDEI.2014.6832254
- Dong, M, L. P. Shen, H. Wang, H. B. Wang, and J. Miao, "Investigation on the Electrical Conductivity of Transformer Oil-Based AlN Nanofluid," Journal of Nanomaterials, Hindawi Publishing Corporation, vol. 2013, Article ID 842963, pp. 1-7, 2013.
- Ramu, T.S., B.K. Keshavan, K.N. Balasubramanya Murthi, "Application of a Class of Nano fluids to improve the Loadability of Power Transformers," IEEE 10th International Conference on the Properties and Applications of Dielectric Materials, July 24-28,2012, Bangalore, India, 2012.
Anandhan Elansezhiyan, S. Chandrasekar, "Understanding The Lightning Discharge Withstand And Breakdown Characteristics Of Nano
$SiO_2$Modified Mineral Oil For Transformer Applications," Journal of Advances in Chemistry, vol. 12, no. 19, pp. 5200-5208, 2016.
- Rongsheng Liu, Leif A.A. Pettersson, Tommaso Auletta, Olof Hjortstam, "Fundamental Research on the Application of Nano Dielectrics to Transformers," IEEE International Conference, pp. 423-427, 2011.
- Y. Du, Y. Lv, C. Li, M. Chen, J. Zhou, "Effect of electron shallow trap on breakdown performance of transformer oil-based nano fluids," J. Appl. Phys., vol. 110, pp. 104104-104104-4, 2011.
- R. Liu, L. A. A. Pettersson, T. Auletta and O. Hjortstam, "Fundamental research on the application of nano dielectrics to transformer," IEEE conf. Electr. Insul. Dielectric. Phenomena, pp. 423-427, 2011.
- Jian Li, Zhaotao Zhang,Ping Zou and Stanislaw Grzybowski, "Preparation of a Vegetable Oil-Based Nanofluid and Investigation of Its Breakdown and Dielectric Properties," IEEE Electrical Insulation Magazine, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 43-50, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/MEI.2012.6268441
- D. Prasad, S. Chandrasekar, "Investigations on Dielectric Performance Characteristics of Natural Ester based Nano-Fluids for Power Transformer Applications," Asian Journal of Research in Social Sciences and Humanities, vol. 6, no. 11, pp. 1146-1157, 2016. https://doi.org/10.5958/2249-7315.2016.01259.4
- D. Imamovic, K.X. Lai, N.A. Muhamad, B.T. Phung and T.R.Blackburn, "Partial Discharge and Dissolved Gas Analysis in Bio-Degradable Transformer Oil," in Proc. of Cigre 16, pp. 1-7, Brugge, 2007.
- M. Pompili, C. Mazzetti and R. Bartnikas, "Partial Discharge Pulse Sequence Patterns and Cavity Development Times in Transformer Oils under ac Conditions," IEEE Trans. Dielectr. Electr. Insul., vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 395-403, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TDEI.2005.1430407
- Zhongdong Wang, Xin Wang, Xiao Yi and Sitao Li, "Gas Generation in Natural Ester and Mineral Oil Under Partial Discharge and Sparking Faults," IEEE Electrical Insulation Magazine,vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 62-70, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/MEI.2013.6585858
- Andrea Cavallini, A.Contin, Gian Carlo Montanari, and F. Puletti, "Advanced PD inference in on-field measurements. Part I. Noise rejection," IEEE Trans. Dielectr. Electr. Insul., vol. 10, pp. 216-224, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TDEI.2003.1194102
- A.Cavallini, M.Conti, A.Contin and G.C.Montanari, "Advanced PD Inference in On-Field Measurements. Part.2: Identification of Defects in Solid insulation Systems," IEEE Trans. Dielectr. Electr. Insul., vol. 10, pp. 528-538, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TDEI.2003.1207481