- Volume 13 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Design and Development of a Novel High Resolution Absolute Rotary Encoder System Based on Affine n-digit N-ary Gray Code
- Paul, Sarbajit (Mechatronics System Research Laboratory, Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Dong-A University) ;
- Chang, Junghwan (Mechatronics System Research Laboratory, Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Dong-A University)
- Received : 2017.03.23
- Accepted : 2017.09.27
- Published : 2018.03.01
This paper presents a new type of absolute rotary encoder system based on the affine n-digit N-ary gray code. A brief comparison of the existing encoder systems is carried out in terms of resolution, encoding and decoding principles and number of sensor heads needed. Using the proposed method, two different types of encoder disks are designed, namely, color-coded disk and grayscale coded disk. The designed coded disk pattern is used to manufacture 3 digit 3 ary and 2 digit 5 ary grayscale coded disks respectively. The manufactured disk is used with the light emitter and photodetector assembly to design the entire encode system. Experimental analysis is done on the designed prototype with LabVIEW platform for data acquisition. A comparison of the designed system is done with the traditional binary gray code encoder system in terms of resolution, disk diameter, number of tracks and data acquisition system. The resolution of the manufactured system is 3 times higher than the conventional system. Also, for a 5 digit 5 ary coded encoder system, a resolution approximately 100 times better than the conventional binary system can be achieved. In general, the proposed encoder system gives
Supported by : Korea Institute of Energy Technology Evaluation and Planning (KETEP), National Research Foundation (NRF)
- S. Setinkunt, Mechatronics, 1st ed. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2007.
- S. Wekhande, V. Agarwal, "High-Resolution Absolute Position Vernier Shaft Encoder Suitable for High-Performance PMSM Servo Drives," IEEE Transaction on Instrumentation and Measurement, vol. 55, no.1, pp. 357-364, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIM.2005.862020
- W. Q. Hua, W. Y. Yuan, S. Ying and W. Y. Yuan, "A Novel Miniature Absolute Metal Rotary Encoder Based on Single-Track Periodic Gray Code," in Proceedings of International Conference on Instrumentation and Measurement, computer, communication and control, pp. 399-402, 2012.
- E. M. Petriu, "Absolute-Type Position Transducers Using a Pseudorandom Encoding," IEEE Transaction on Instrumentation and Measurement, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 950-955, 1987.
- G. H. Tomlinson, "Absolute-type shaft encoder using shift register sequences", Electron. Lett., vol. 23, no. 8, pp.398-400. 1987. https://doi.org/10.1049/el:19870291
- Y. Matsuzoe, N.Tsuji, T. Nakayama, K. Fujita and T. Yoshizawa, "High Performace Absolute Encoder using multitrack and M-Code," Opt. Eng., vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 124-131, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1117/1.1523943
- T. Dziwinski, "A Novel Approach of an Absolute Encoder Coding Pattern", IEEE sensor Journal, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 397-401, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/JSEN.2014.2345587
- D. Raymond and T. Garrett, "In-circuit digital tester," U.S. Patent 4 216 539, Aug. 5, 1980.
- C. C. Chang, H. Y. Chen, and C. Y. Chen, "Symbolic Gray code as a data allocation scheme for two-disc systems," Comput. J., vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 299-305, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1093/comjnl/35.3.299
- D. Richards, "Data compression and Gray-code sorting," Inf. Process. Lett., vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 201-205, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1016/0020-0190(86)90029-3
- C. Faloutsos, "Gray codes for partial match and range queries," IEEE Trans. Softw. Eng., vol. 14, no. 10, pp. 1381-1393, Oct. 1988. https://doi.org/10.1109/32.6184
- I. N. Suparta and A. J. van Zanten, "Balanced maximum counting sequences," IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory, vol. 52, no. 8, pp. 3827-3830, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIT.2006.878217
- Y. Zhou, K. Panetta and C. L. Philip Chen, "(n, k, p)-Gray Code for Image Systems", IEEE Transaction on Cybernatics, vol. 43, no. 2, pp.515-529, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSMCB.2012.2210706
- S. Erturk, "Locally refined Gray-coded bit-plane matching for block motion estimation," in Proceedings of 3rd ISPA, vol. 1, pp. 128-133, 2003.
- C. Savage, "A survey of combinatorial Gray codes," SIAM Rev., vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 605-629, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1137/S0036144595295272
- M. Flahive and B. Bose, "Balancing Cyclic R-ary Gray Codes," The Electronics Journal of Combinatorics, vol. 14, no. R31, pp. 1, 2007.
- E. Abbena, S. Salamon, A. Gray, Modern Differential Geometry of Curves and Surfaces with Mathematica, 2nd ed. CRC press, 1997, pp.130.
- M. Cohn, "Affine m-ary Gray Code," Information and Control , vol.6, pp. 70-78, 1987.
- D. F. Rogers and J. A. Adams, Mathematical Elements for Computer Graphics, 2nd Ed., McGrawHill, New York, 1990, Chapter2.
- Y. Zhao and B.Yuan, "A New Affine Transformation: Its Theory and Application to Image Coding," IEEE Transaction on Circuits and system for video technology, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 269-274, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1109/76.678621
- K. He1, Z. Yuan and C. Mu, "A New Affine Transformation Parameters Estimation Method", in Proceedings of Seventh International Conference on Natural Computation, pp. 28-32, 2011.
- S. Paul and J. Chang, "Design of Absolute Encoder Disk Coding Based on Affine n-digit N-ary Gray Code," in Proceedings of I2MTC, pp. 336-341, 2016.
- R. L. Boylestab, "Introductory Circuit Analysis," 10th ed. Prentice Hall, 2003.
- W. H. Hayt, J. E. Kemmerly and S. M. Durbin, "Engineering Circuit Analysis," 6th ed. McGraw Hill, 2002.