- Volume 5 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Work and Travel Experiences of Filipino Tourism Students in Selected Universities
- Carpio, Geneive Joie (St. Paul University Manila) ;
- Torres, Athena Louise De (St. Paul University Manila) ;
- Samiran, Rinna (St. Paul University Manila) ;
- Villera, Kaselyn Joyce (St. Paul University Manila) ;
- Manguerra-Mahusay, Sharon (St. Paul University Manila)
- Received : 2018.01.19
- Accepted : 2018.02.21
- Published : 2018.02.28
A cultural exchange program widens the horizons of students. It gives them the opportunity to associate with other societies and learn their cultures at the same time. This program also serves as a training ground where students enhance their skills, acquire learnings, and gain experiences that will help them in their future careers and make them more competitive than others. Hence, the objective of this study is to come up with an output from a set of guidelines established and gathered from the different "work and travel" experiences of the participants. This study adopted the phenomenological and was conducted in places that are relatively quiet for recording, and suitable and convenient for both the researchers and participants. The researchers gathered data through in-depth interviews of samples gathered through snowball sampling. Cellphones were used to record interviews. At the end of the thematic analysis of information, the researchers came up with three major categories which included: (1) 'having the opportunity to know the industry well and improve one's capability', 'undergoing different cultural exchange experiences for better development', and 'being able to practice intercultural immersion'. Some of the researchers' recommendations would be to institute a feedback mechanism such as personal interviews, monitoring visits, etc. and use the output, a set of guidelines, that would help the future 'work and travel' participants to prepare and anticipate the program they would undergo.
- Codina, B., Nicolas, J., Lopez, L. & Hernan, R. (2013). The importance of student mobility, academic exchange and internationalization of higher education for college students in a globalized world: The Mexican and Latin American case. Deana: International Journal of Good Conscience, 8(2), 48-63.
- Danish Ministry of Education. (2010, May 2). Stepping up study and internship abroad. MINISTERIET FOR BORN, UNDERVISNING OG LIGESTILLING Retrieved from https://uvm.dk/da/Service/Publikationer/Publikationer/Videregaaende-uddannelser/2010/Stepping-up-study-and-internship-abroad?Mode=full
- Deal, J. J., Leslie, J., Dalton, M., & Ernst, C. (2003). Cultural adaptability and leading in across cultures. Retrieved from http://www.emeraldinsight.com/doi/abs/10.1016/S1535-1203%2802%2903008-3.
- Felicen, S. S., & Celis, M. I. (2012). Singapore experience of the HRM and tourism students of Lyceum of the Philippines University in the context of cross cultural orientation initiatives. IAMURE International Journal of Social Sciences, 3, 164-183. http://dx.doi.org/10.7718/ijss.v3i1.36
- First Place. (2015a). Participating Schools. Retrieved from http://www.firstplaceinc.org/page/partner/schools
- First Place. (2015b). Welcome. Retrieved from http://www.firstplaceinc.org/
- Giolando, E. (2015, November 16). Why global experience should be a college requirement. GO OVERSEAS Real Programs. Real Reviews. Retrieved from http://www.gooverseas.com/blog/why-global-experience-should-be-a-college-requirement
- Giorgi, A. (2003). Giorgi's empirical phenomenologicl model. Scribd. Retrieved from http://www.scribd.com/doc/45935704/Giorgi-s-Empirical-Phenomenological-Model#scribd
- Guldogan, E. (2010, May). Both a trip and an investment for the future: work and travel. Retrieved from ANADOLUJET: http://www.anadolujet.com/aj-en/anadolujet-magazine/2010/may/articles/both-a-trip-and-an-investment-for-the-future-work-and-travel.aspx
- Heathfield, S. M. (2015, October 18). How on-the-job training brings you value. About Money. Retrieved from http://humanresources.about.com/od/educationgeneral/g/on-the-job-training.htm
- Kington, A. (2013). 5 Benefits of cultural exchange for international students. InterExchange. Retrieved from https://www.interexchange.org/articles/work-travel-usa/2013/06/24/5-benefits-of-cultural-exchange-for-internationalstudents/
- Koivisto, K., Janhonen, S., & Vaisanen, L. (2002). Applying a phenomenological method of analysis derived from Giorgi to a psychiatric nursing study. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/12121526/
- Licuanan, P. B. (2016, January 26). J-1 Visa Exchange Program: summer work travel program. CHED. Retrieved from http://www.ched.gov.ph/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/J-1-Visa-Exchange-Program-Summer-Work-Travel-Program-2.pdf
- Maclachlan, M. (2010, April 6). Becoming a cultural chameleon: Adaptability skills essential for cross cultural success. Retrieved from https://www.communicaid.com/cross-cultural-training/blog/becoming-a-cultural-chameleon-adaptability-skills-essential-for-cross-cultural-success/
- National Economic and Development Authority. (2017). The Philippine development plan 2017-2022. Retrieved from http://nlpdl.nlp.gov.ph:81/web/20170321/01/PDPCA_NLP-Marichu_Tellano.pdf
- Paul, A. M. (2014, April 29). How studying or working abroad makes you smarter. Time. Retrieved from http://time.com/79937/how-studying-or-working-abroad-makes-you-smarter/
- Simpson, D. (2012). International exchange programs strengthen the global community. The Public Manager, 26-28.
- St. Paul University Manila. (2014). History of St. Paul's Manila. Retrieved from http://spumanila.edu.ph/about/ourhistory/
- Swanson, J. (n.d.). Work, study, and travel abroad the combination allows you to live as a local. Transitions Abroad. Retrieved from http://www.transitionsabroad.com/publications/magazine/0311/work_study_and_travel.shtml
- Watkins, M. (2013, May 15). What is organizational culture? And why should we care? Retrieved from https://hbr.org/2013/05/what-is-organizational-culture.
- Yamazaki, Y. (n.d.). Learning skills required for expatriate cross-cultural adaptation: An intercultural competency taxonomy based on experiential learning theory. Retrieved from https://weatherhead.case.edu/departments/organizational-behavior/workingPapers/WP-03-1.pdf.
- Yeung, L. (2013, August). Hong Kong colleges start to see the benefits of cultural exchange. South China Morning Post. Retrieved from http://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/family-education/article/1295553/hong-kong-colleges-start-see-benefits-cultural-exchange