- Volume 31 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Tensile Strength of Composite Laminate Repaired Using Heat-blanket and a Novel Pressurization System
히트블랑켓과 새롭게 개발된 가압장치를 이용해 수리한 복합재 적층판의 인장강도 연구
- Chae, Song-Su (School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Lee, Gwang-Eun (School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Ahn, Hyonsu (ANH Structure, Co., Ltd.) ;
- Choi, Jin-Ho (School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Kweon, Jin-Hwe (School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Gyeongsang National University)
- Received : 2017.12.20
- Accepted : 2018.02.06
- Published : 2018.02.28
In the case of a conventional composite patch repair using a heat blanket, the adhesive is pressurized using only a vacuum bag. In this study, however, a pressurization system has been developed to apply additional air pressure on the vacuum bag. In order to verify the performance of the developed system, the composite laminates were repaired with scarf patches and then tested under tensile load to be compared with the strength of the defect-free laminate. Tensile tests were also conducted on specimens with the same configuration but bonded in an autoclave. As a result of the test, the tensile strengths of the specimens repaired using the heat blanket with vacuum only without external pressure, the specimens repaired with additional pressure by the developed system, and the specimens repaired with the same external pressure in an autoclave, showed the strength recovery ratios of 74.9, 81.0, and 78.2%, respectively. The results of the tensile test after moisture saturation and the dried fatigue test also showed that the strength recovery ratios of the specimens repaired under the external pressure of 1 atm using the developed system are slightly higher than that of specimens bonded in autoclave.
Supported by : 산업기술평가관리원(KEIT), 한국연구재단
- Lee, D.G., Jeong, M.Y., Choi, J.H., Cheon, S.S., Chang, S.H., and Oh, J.H., Composite Materials, Hongrung Pub. Co., Seoul, Republic of Korea, 2007.
- Davies, C.R., and Ilcewicz, L., CMH-17 Vol.3 Polymer Matrix Composites Materials Usage, Design, and Analysis, SAE International, Warrendale, PA, USA, 2012.
- Yoo, J.S., Truong, V.H., Park, M.Y., Choi, J.H., and Kweon, J.H., "Parametric Study on Static and Fatigue Strength Recovery of Scarf-patch-repaired Composite Laminates," Composite Structures, Vol. 140, 2016, pp. 417-432. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2015.12.041
- Kim, C.H., Yoo, J.S., Byeon, C.S., Ju, H.W., Park, M.Y., Choi, J.H., and Kweon, J.H., "Failure Characteristics of Scarf Patchrepaired Composite Single-lap Joints," Composites Research, Vol. 29, No. 3, 2016, pp. 117-124. https://doi.org/10.7234/composres.2016.29.3.117
- Truong, V.H., Yoo, J.S., Kim, C.H., Park, M.Y., Choi, J.H., and Kweon, J.H., "Failure Load Prediction of Laminates Repaired with a Scarf-bonded Patch Using the Damage Zone Method," Advanced Composite Materials, Vol. 26, No. 2, 2017, pp. 115-133. https://doi.org/10.1080/09243046.2016.1232008
- Baker, A., Gunnion, A.J., and Wang, J., "On the Certification of Bonded Repairs to Primary Composite Aircraft Components," The Journal of Adhesion, Vol. 91, No. 1-2, 2015, pp. 4-38. https://doi.org/10.1080/00218464.2014.883315
- Baker, A., Development of a Hard-Patch Approach for Scarf Repair of Composite Structure, Defense Science and Technology Organisation Report TR-1892, Australia, 2006.
- Campilho, R.D.S.G., De Moura, M.F.S.F., Pinto, A.M.G., Morais, J.J.L., and Domingues, J.J.M.S., "Modelling the Tensile Fracture Behaviour of CFRP Scarf Repairs," Composites: Part B, Vol. 40, No. 2, 2009, pp. 149-157. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesb.2008.10.008
- Ashrafi, M., Smith, B.P., Devasia, S., and Tuttle, M.E., "Embedded Resistive Heating in Composite Scarf Repairs," Journal of Composite Materials, Vol. 51, No. 18, 2016, pp. 2575-2583.
- Kong, C.D., Park, H.B., Lee, K.S., and Shin, S.J., "Investigation on Strength Recovery after Repairing Impact Damaged Aircraft Composite Laminate," Journal of the Korean Society for Aeronautical & Space Sciences, Vol. 38, No. 9, 2010, pp. 862-868. https://doi.org/10.5139/JKSAS.2010.38.9.862
- Park, H.B., "A Study on 4 Point Bending Strength of Carbon/epoxy Face Sheet and Honeycomb Core Sandwich Composite Structure after Open Hole Damage," Composite Research, Vol. 27, No. 2, 2014, pp. 77-81. https://doi.org/10.7234/composres.2014.27.2.077
- Kumar, S., Abhishek, G., Ullattil, A., Elangundran, T.V.A., Bhowmik, S., Devadathan, S., Kim, C.G., and Baluch, A., "Effect of Atmospheric Pressure Plasma Treatment for Repair of Polymer Matrix Composite for Aerospace Applications," Journal of Composite Materials, Vol. 50, No. 11, 2016, pp. 1497-1507. https://doi.org/10.1177/0021998315594230
- Benard, Q., Fois, M., Grisel, M., and Laurens, P., "Surface Treatment of Carbon/epoxy and Glass/epoxy Composites with an Excimer Laser Beam," International Journal of Adhesion and Adhesives, Vol. 26, No. 7, 2006, pp. 543-549. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijadhadh.2005.07.008
- Kim, J.K., Kim, H.S., and Lee, D.G., "Investigation of Optimal Surface Treatments for Carbon/epoxy Composite Adhesive Joints," Journal of Adhesion Science and Technology, Vol. 17, No. 3, 2003, pp. 329-352. https://doi.org/10.1163/156856103762864651
- Burkholder, G.L., Kwon, Y.W., and Pollak, R.D., "Effect of Carbon Nanotube Reinforcement on Fracture Strength of Composite Adhesive Joints," Journal of Materials Science, Vol. 46, No. 10, 2011, pp. 3370-3377. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10853-010-5225-6
- Miller, R.J., Taylor, D.F., and Matsen, R., Magnetic Heating Blanket, U.S. Patent, No. 8,330,086, 2012.
- Cytec Engineered Materials, (2011), "FM300-2 Film Adhesive," http://www.cytec.com//sites/default/files/datasheets/FM_300-2_092711.pdf (accessed December 10, 2017).
- Pethrick, R.A., "Design and Ageing of Adhesive for Structural Adhesive Bonding - A Review," Journal of Materials: Design and Application, Vol. 229, No. 5, 2014, pp. 349-379.
- Higgins, A., "Adhesive Bonding of Aircraft Structures," International Journal of Adhesion & Adhesives, Vol. 20, No. 5, 2000, pp. 367-376. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0143-7496(00)00006-3
- Whittingham, B., Baker, A.A., Harman, A., and Bitton, D., "Micrographic Studies on Adhesively Bonded Scarf Repairs to Thick Composite Aircraft Structure," Composite: Part A, Vol. 40, No. 9, 2009, pp. 1419-1432. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesa.2008.12.011
- Chester, R.J., and Roberts, J.D., "Void Minimization in Adhesive Joints," International Journal of Adhesion and Adhesives, Vol. 9, No. 3, 1989, pp. 129-138. https://doi.org/10.1016/0143-7496(89)90107-3
- Baker, A.A., and Jones, R., Bonded Repair of Aircraft Structures, Martinus Nijhoff Pub. Co., Dordrecht, Netherlands, 1988.