- Volume 19 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Positive Psychological Capital on Participation in Lifelong: Mediating effects of Self-directedness to learning
긍정심리자본이 평생학습 참여성과에 미치는 영향 : 학습에 대한 자기주도성의 매개효과
- Lee, Hyo-Young (Department of Education, Chungnam National University)
- 이효영 (충남대학교 교육학과)
- Received : 2017.11.23
- Accepted : 2018.03.09
- Published : 2018.03.31
The purpose of this study is to empirically verify the effects of positive psychological capital on participation in lifelong learning as well as the mediating effect of self-directedness of adult learners in Korea. The research model was constructed using positive psychological capital as an independent variable, lifelong learning participation performance as a dependent variable, and self-directedness as a mediating variable. The results of the study are as follows: First, positive psychological capital of adult learners has a significant effect on self-directedness and participation in lifelong learning. Second, self-directedness has a significant effect on participation in lifelong learning. Third, self-directedness plays a mediating role between positive psychological capital and participation in lifelong learning. The results of this study indicate that positive learning psychology and self-directedness are important factors for participation in lifelong learning. The results of this study are expected to contribute to the development of lifelong learning systems and the development and operation of programs that can enhance positive psychological capital and self-directedness of adult learners.
- J. S. Kim, "Positive psychological capital of college students, job search self-efficacy, structural relationship between job preparation variables", Andragogy Today, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 43-67, 2015.
- S. N. Lee. J. A. Kim, "Concept analysis of positive psychological capital", J Korean Acad Nurs, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 181-190, 2017. DOI: https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2017.23.2.181 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2017.23.2.181
- B. N. Lim, "A Study on the Development of 'Learning Emotion' Scale for Self-Directed Learning", Study method of education, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 827-853, 2011. https://doi.org/10.17927/tkjems.2011.23.4.827
- J. W. Yoo. B. K. Kim. M. H. Kang, "The Effect of College Students' Psychological Capital on Self - directed Learning Ability and Learning Participation" Learner-centered curriculum education research, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 45-70, 2014.
- S. M. Kwon, "Positive psychology: scientific inquiry of happiness", Seoul: Hakjisa, 2008.
- K. H. Park, "Positive psychological capital and leadership performance", A doctoral dissertation in Soongsil University, 2011.
- R. H. Park, "A Study on the Determinants and Effects of Positive Psychological Capital: Focusing on the relationship between authenticity leadership, self - leading job performance attitude and organization identification", Corporate Education and Talent Research, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 95-123, 2017.
- Y. D. Choi. D. S. Lee, "The effect of positive psychological capital: perceived performance, turnover intention, happiness at work, subjective well ? being", Korean Society of Personnel and Organization, 2vol. 011, no. 2, pp. 74-100, 2011.
- Y. M. Kim. S, H. Han, "Structural analysis of adult learners' self concept, participation motivation, learning participation and lifelong learning outcomes", Journal of Educational Research, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 123-143, 2012.
- S. H. Lee. J. H. Kim, "Structural Relationships among Learner Characteristics, Participation Motivation, Learning Satisfaction and Participation in Lifelong Education in Middle-Aged Women", Research on Lifelong Education vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 149-178, 2016.
- J. I. Byun, I. S. Kim, "A Study on the Effectiveness of Lifelong Learning Participation", Research on Lifelong Education, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 29-53, 2011.
- W. S. Choi, "Analysis of Participation in Lifelong Learning for Adult Learners-Focusing on HRD Capital, Socio-Cultural Capital, and Personal Capital. Vocational Education Research, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 381-419, 2005.
- H. Y. Jang, "Implications of positive psychology for lifelong learning: Exploring happiness, authenticity, psychological capital", Andragogy Today, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 141-169, 2012.
- Fredrickson, B. L., Mancuso, R. A., Branigan, C., & Tugade, M, "The undoing effect of positive emotions", Motivation and Emotion, 24, pp. 237-258, 2000. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1010796329158 https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1010796329158
- Luthans, F, "Positive psychological capital: Going beyond human and social capital" Business Horizons, 47(1). pp. 45-50, 2004. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bushor.2003.11.007 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bushor.2003.11.007
- Luthans, F., Avolio., B., Avey, J. B,. & Norman, S, "Positive Psychological Capital: Measurement and Relationship with Performance and Satisfaction", Personnel Psychology, vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 541-572, 2007. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6570.2007.00083.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6570.2007.00083.x
- Y. I. kim, "The Effect of Secondary School Teachers' Positive Psychological Capital and Self - directed Learning Ability on Job Satisfaction", Lifelong Education. HRD Research, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 117-142, 2016.
- J. C. Lee, "The Relationship between Positive Psychological Capital, Self-directed Learning, Major Engagement, and Happiness of Adult Learners: Focusing on College Students, Andragogy Today, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 85-113, 2014.
- K. Y. Lee. J. S. Son,. "The Effects of Psychological Capital on Empowerment and Learning Outcomes" Journal of the Korean Society of Safety Management, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 289-300, 2010.
- J. S. Kim, "An Exploratory Study on the Effects of Positive Psychological Capital on Employment Readiness Behavior of University Students", Andragogy Today, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 31-59, 2013.
- Robinson, M. G, "The relationship between self-directed learning readinessand resilience among graduate students. Unpublished doctoral dissertation", University of Tennessee, 2003.
- Meece, J. L., Blumenfeld, P. C., & Hoyle, R. H, "Students' goal orientations and cognitive engagement in classroom activities", Journal of educational psychology, vol. 80, no. 4, 514, 1998. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-06184.108.40.2064 https://doi.org/10.1037//0022-06220.127.116.114
- Knowles, M. S, "Self-directed learning: A guide to learners and teachers", Chicago, IL: Follett Publishing Co, 1975.
- Gibbons, M, "The self-directed learning handbook: Challenging adolescent students to excel", John Wiley & Sons, 2003.
- Tough, A. M. "The Adult's Learning Projects(2nd)", Toronto: The Ontario Institute for Studies in Education, 1979.
- S. H. Han, "Verification of Moderating Effect of Lifelong Learning Performance Variables on Self-Directed Learning Level of Adult Learners", Comprehensive study of education, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 45-64, 2010.
- Y. S. Lee. K. W. Yoo, "Self-directed learning change of passive adult learners", Andragogy Today, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 173-207, 2012.
- K. A. Choi, "Differences in Learning Strategy Utilization According to Self-Directed Learning of Adults in e-Learning Environment", Korean Education, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 137-163, 2009.
- Y. W. Kim. J .S. Park. K. H. Jeon, "The mediating role of self-directed learning in the relationship between self-efficacy and learning outcomes of adult learners at cyber university. Education Media Information, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 743-764, 2013.
- Boone, E. J., Safrit, R. D., & Jones, J, " Developing programs in adult education: A conceptual programming model", Waveland Press. Prentice Hall, 2002.
- Beder, H, "The Outcomes and Impacts of Adult Literacy Education in the United States. Cambridge", MA: National Center for the Study of Adult earning and Literacy, 1991.
- A R. Kim, "A Study on the Learning Outcomes of Adult Learners in College Lifelong Learning", Dankook University graduate school doctoral dissertation, 2004.
- Schuller, T., Baron, S., & Field, J, "Social capital: a review and critique" Social capital: critical perspectives, 1-39, 2002.
- H. J. Lee, "The Effects of Lifelong Education Participation on Learning Outcomes of Adult Learners in College Lifelong Education Center", Education Research, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 67-108, 2011.
- Putnam, R. D, "Bowling alone: America's declining social capital. In Culture and politics", Palgrave Macmillan US, pp. 223-234, 2000. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1145/358916.361990
- West, R. F., & Bentley, E. L, "Structural analysis of the self-directed learning readiness scale: A confirmatory factor analysis using LISREL modeling. Advances in research and practice in self-directed learning. Norman, OK. University of Oklahoma", Oklahoma research Center for Continuing and Higher Education, 1990.
- G. O. Yoo, "Self-directed Learning and Demographic and Psychological Variables of Adult Learners", Ph.D Thesis, Seoul National University Graduate School, 1997.
- Seligman, M. E., Steen, T. A., Park, N., & Peterson, C, "Positive psychology progress: empirical validation of interventions", American psychologist, vol. 60, no. 5, pp. 410-421, 2005. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.60.5.410 https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.60.5.410
- Cameron, K. S., Bright, D., & Caza, A, "Exploring the relationships between organizational virtuousness and performance", American Behavioral Scientist, vol. 47, no. 6, pp. 766-790, 2004. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/0002764203260209 https://doi.org/10.1177/0002764203260209