- Volume 18 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Explosion Casting: An Efficient Selection Method for Overlapped Virtual Objects in Immersive Virtual Environments
몰입 가상현실 환경에서 겹쳐진 가상객체들의 효율적인 선택을 위한 펼침 시각화를 통한 객체 선택 방법
- Received : 2017.10.30
- Accepted : 2017.12.28
- Published : 2018.03.28
To interact with a virtual object in immersive virtual environment, the target object should be selected quickly and accurately. Conventional 3D ray casting method using a direction of user's hand or head allows the user to select an object quickly. However, accuracy problem occurs when selecting an object using conventional methods among occlusion of objects. In this paper, we propose a region of interest based selection method that enables to select an object among occlusion of objects using a combination of gaze tracking and hand gesture recognition. When a user looks at a group of occlusion of objects, the proposed method recognizes user's gaze input, and then region of interest is set by gaze input. If the user wants to select an object among them, the user gives an activation hand gesture. Then, the proposed system relocates and visualizes all objects on a virtual active window. The user can select an object by a selecting hand gesture. Our experiment verified that the user can select an object correctly and accurately.
Virtual Environment;Selection;Ray-casting;Occlusion;Virtual Object
Supported by : 호서대학교
- F. Argelaguet and C. Andujar, "A survey of 3D object selection techniques for virtual environments," Computers & Graphics, Vol.37 No.3. pp.121-136, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cag.2012.12.003
- A. Steed and C. Parker, "3D selection strategies for head tracked and non-head tracked operation of spatially immersive displays," In 8th International Immersive Projection Technology Workshop, pp.13-14, 2004.
- R. Kopper, F. Bacim, and D. A. Bowman, "Rapid and Accurate 3D Selection by Progressive Refinement," IEEE 3DUI 2011, pp.67-74, 2011.
- F. Argelaguet and C. Andujar, "Efficient 3D pointing selection in cluttered virtual environments," IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications, Vol.29 No.6 pp.34-43, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/MCG.2009.117
- A. Olwal and S. Feiner, "The Flexible Pointer: An Interaction Technique for Selection in Augmented and Virtual Reality," ACM UIST 2003, pp.82-82, 2003.
- J. D. Hincapie Ramos, K. Ozacar, P. P. Irani, and Y. Kitamura, "GyroWand: IMU-based Raycasting for Augmented Reality Head-Mounted Displays," ACM SUI 2015 pp.89-98, 2015.
- J. Liang and M. Green, "Jdcad: A highly interactive 3D modeling system. In 3rd International Conference on CAD and Computer Graphics," pp.217-222, 1993.
- L. Vanacken, T. Grossman, and K. Coninx, "Exploring the effects of environment density and target visibility on object selection in 3D virtual environments," 3D User Interfaces, pp.117-124, 2007.
- 오주영, 이준, 허환, 이중호, 박지형, "시선추적과 손동작 인식을 이용한 겹쳐진 가상 객체 선택 방법," 2016 한국 HCI 학술대회, 2016.
- J. Lee, J. H. Park, J. Y. Oh, and J. H. Lee, "Fast and Accurate 3D Selection using Proxy with Spatial Relationship for Immersive Virtual Environments," 2016 Symposium on Spatial User Interaction, p.209, 2016.