- Volume 18 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effect of General Investors' Allotment Ratio on Underpricing in KOSDAQ IPO Market: 20% rule
코스닥 IPO시장에서 일반투자자 배정비율이 저평가에 미치는 영향: 20% rule
- Received : 2018.02.22
- Accepted : 2018.03.14
- Published : 2018.03.28
This paper studies the relationship between general investors' allotment ratio and underpricing for the companies that were newly listed in KOSDAQ market after the 20% rule, from March 2004 to December 2013, by empirical analysis. It is shown that the excess allotment ratio over 20% has a strong explanatory power for underpricing ratio under the 1% significance level. Furthermore, the general investors' allotment ratio is a significant explanatory variable of underpricing ratio under the 5% significance level. There are many hypotheses about underpricing, however, if underpricing is evident with high allocation ratio for general investors, it can be regarded as a signal of company's confidence in earnings after listing. In conclusion, this study reveals that general investors' allotment ratio can be used as a major explanatory variable that has a significant effect on the degree of undervaluation in the IPO market.
KOSDAQ IPO Market;General Investors' Allotment Ratio;Underpricing;Pearson's Correlation Coefficient;Regression Analysis
- 조성숙, 이희우 "벤처캐피탈 투자가 신규상장기업의 투명성 제고에 미치는 영향," 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, Vol.12, No.9, pp.280-292, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2012.12.09.280
- J. R. Ritter, "Differences between European and American IPO markets," European Financial Management, Vol.9, No.4, pp.421-434, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1111/1468-036X.00230
- L. M. Benveniste and P. A. Spindt, "How investment bankers determine the offer price and allocation of new issues," Journal of Financial Economics, Vol.24, pp.343-361, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-405X(89)90051-2
- F. Allen and G. R. Faulhaber, "Signalling by underpricing in the IPO market," Journal of financial Economics, Vol.23, pp.303-323, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-405X(89)90060-3
- M. Grinblatt and C. Y. Hwang, "Signalling and the pricing of new issues," The Journal of Finance, Vol.44, No.2, pp.393-420, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6261.1989.tb05063.x
- I. Welch, "Seasoned offerings, imitation costs, and the underpricing of initial public offerings," The Journal of Finance, Vol.44, No.2, pp.421-449, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6261.1989.tb05064.x
- K. Rock, "Why new issues are underpriced," Journal of financial economics, Vol.15, No.1, pp.187-212, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-405X(86)90054-1
- R. P. Beatty and J. R. Ritter, "Investment banking, reputation, and the underpricing of initial public offerings," Journal of financial economics, Vol.15, No.1, pp.213-232, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-405X(86)90055-3
- M. T. Cliff and D. J. Denis, "Do initial public offering firms purchase analyst coverage with underpricing?," The Journal of Finance, Vol.59, No.6, pp.2871-2901, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6261.2004.00719.x
- R. Aggarwal and P. Rivoli, "Fads in the initial public offering market?," Financial Management, Vol.19, No.4, pp.45-57, 1990. https://doi.org/10.2307/3665609
- J. R. Ritter, "The long‐run performance of initial public offerings," The journal of finance, Vol.46, No.1, pp.3-27, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6261.1991.tb03743.x
- 최문수, "신규공모주의 공모가격 할인과 초기성과에 대한 연구," 재무연구, Vol.12, No.1, pp.197-226, 1999.
- C. B. Barry, C. J. Muscarella, J. W. Peavy Iii, and M. R. Vetsuypens, "The role of venture capital in the creation of public companies: Evidence from the going-public process," Journal of Financial economics, Vol.27, No.2, pp.447-471, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-405X(90)90064-7
- 이성규, 임웅기, 연강흠, "주간사회사의 공모가격 결정행태와 최초공모주의 저가발행현상," 재무연구, Vol.9, pp.119-145, 1995.
- R. Carter and S. Manaster, "Initial public offerings and underwriter reputation," The Journal of Finance, Vol.45, pp.1045-1067, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6261.1990.tb02426.x