- Volume 18 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Energy-Efficient Routing Protocol based on Interference Awareness for Transmission of Delay-Sensitive Data in Multi-Hop RF Energy Harvesting Networks
다중 홉 RF 에너지 하베스팅 네트워크에서 지연에 민감한 데이터 전송을 위한 간섭 인지 기반 에너지 효율적인 라우팅 프로토콜
- Received : 2018.02.28
- Accepted : 2018.03.13
- Published : 2018.03.28
With innovative advances in wireless communication technology, many researches for extending network lifetime in maximum by using energy harvesting have been actively performed on the area of network resource optimization, QoS-guaranteed transmission, energy-intelligent routing and etc. As known well, it is very hard to guarantee end-to-end network delay due to uncertainty of the amount of harvested energy in multi-hop RF(radio frequency) energy harvesting wireless networks. To minimize end-to-end delay in multi-hop RF energy harvesting networks, this paper proposes an energy efficient routing metric based on interference aware and protocol which takes account of various delays caused by co-channel interference, energy harvesting time and queuing in a relay node. The proposed method maximizes end-to-end throughput by performing avoidance of packet congestion causing load unbalance, reduction of waiting time due to exhaustion of energy and restraint of delay time from co-channel interference. Finally simulation results using ns-3 simulator show that the proposed method outperforms existing methods in respect of throughput, end-to-end delay and energy consumption.
Energy Harvesting;Co-channel Interference;Queuing Delay;Routing Metric;Multihop Relaying
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- S. Ulukus, A. Yener, E. Erkip, O. Simeone, M. Zorzi, P. Grover, and K. Huang, "Energy Harvesting Wireless Communications: A Review of Recent Advances," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol.33, No.3, pp.360-381, Mar. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/JSAC.2015.2391531
- X. Lu, P. Wang, D. Niyato, D. I. Kim, and Z. Han, "Wireless Networks with RF Energy Harvesting: A Contemporary Survey," IEEE Communications Surveys & Tutorials, Vol.17, No.2, pp.757-789, Second quarter 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/COMST.2014.2368999
- S. Sudevalayam and P. Kulkarni, "Energy Harvesting Sensor Nodes: Survey and Implications," IEEE Communications Surveys & Tutorial, Vol.13, No.3, pp.443-461, Third quarter 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/SURV.2011.060710.00094
- H. Ju and R. Zhang, "Throughput Maximization in Wireless Powered Communication Networks," IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, Vol.13, No.1, pp.418-428, Jan. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TWC.2013.112513.130760
- Q. Yao, A. Huang, H. Shan, T. Q. S. Quek, and W. Wang, "Delay-aware Wireless Powered Communication Networks-energy Balancing and Optimization," IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, Vol.15, No.8, pp.5272-5286, Aug. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TWC.2016.2555803
- D. Niyato, P. wang, Y. W. Leong, and T. H. Pink, "Qos-aware Data Transmission and Wireless Energy Transfer: Performance Modeling and Optimization," Proceedings of IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (IEEE WCNC'14), pp.2100-3105, Apr. 2014.
- S. Kwon and N. B. Shroff, "Energy-efficient Interference-based Routing for Multi-hop Wireless Networks," Proceedings of the 25th IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications (INFOCOM), Apr. 2006.
- J. S. Kim, S. H. Chung, and H. S. Choi, "An Interference Aware Routing Scheme based on Channel Load for Multi-radio Multi-channel Wireless Mesh Networks," International Journal of Computer and Communication Engineering, Vol.2, No.2, pp.272-276, May 2013.
- S. S. Ikki and S. Aissa, "Multihop Wireless Relaying Systems in the Presence of Cochannel Interferences: Performance Analysis and Design Optimization," IEEE Transactions Vehicular Technology, Vol.61, No.2, pp.566-573b, Feb. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TVT.2011.2179818
- S. Lee, L. Liu, and R. Zhang, "Collaborative Wireless Energy and Information Transfer in Interference Channel," IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, Vol.14, No.1, pp.545-557, Jan. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TWC.2014.2354335
- H. Li, Y. Cheng, C. Zhou, and W. Zhuang, "Routing Metric for Minimizing End to End Delay in Multi-radio Multi-channel Wireless Networks," IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distribution Systems, Vol.24, No.11, pp.2293-2303, Nov. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPDS.2012.327
- H. Chen, Y. Li, Y. Jiang, Y. Ma, and B. Vucetic, "Distributed Power Splitting for SWIPT in Relay Interference Channels using Game Theory," IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, Vol.14, No.1, pp.410-420, Jan. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TWC.2014.2349892
- L. Elmorshedy, C. Leung, and S. A. Mousavifar, "RF Energy Harvesting in DF Relay Networks in the Presence of an Interfering Signal," Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Communications, May. 2016.
- H. Zhai and Y. Fang, "Impact of Routing Metrics on Path Capacity in Multirate and Multi-hop wireless Ad Hoc Network," Proceedings of 14th IEEE International Conference on Network Protocols, pp.86-95, Nov. 2007.
- B. Sen, L. Libman, X. Zin, and S. Jha, "An End to End Delay Metric for Multi-rate Wireless Mesh Networks with Cooperative Retransmission," Proceedings of IEEE 13th Conference on Local Computer Networks (LCN), pp.296-299, Oct. 2013.
- R. Doost, K. R. Chowdhury, and M. D. Felice, "Routing and Link Layer Protocol Design for Sensor Networks with Wireless Energy Transfer," Proceedings of IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference, Dec. 2010.
- S. Luo, L. Zhang, and T. J. Lim, "Optimal Save-then-transmit Protocol for Energy Harvesting Wireless Transmitters," IEEE Transaction on Wireless Communications, Vol.12, No.3, pp.1196-1207, Mar. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TWC.2013.012413.120488
- S. Yin, E. Zhang, J. Li, L. Yin, and S. Li, "Throughput Optimization for Self-powered Wireless Communications with Variable Energy Harvesting Rate," Proceedings of IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (WCNC), pp.830-835, Apr. 2013.
- A. Tandon and M. Motani, "Has Green Arrived? Delay Analysis for Energy Harvesting Communication Systems," Proceedings of the Eleventh Annual IEEE International Conference on Sensing, Communication, and Networking (SECON), pp.582-590, June. 2014.
- S. Atapattu, H. Jiang, J. Evans, and C. Tellambura, "Time-switching Energy Harvesting in Relay Networks," Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Communication (1CC), pp.5416-5421, Jun. 2015.
- L. Limorshedy, C. Leung, and S. A. Mousavifa, "RF Energy Harvesting in DF Relay Networks in the Presence of an Interfering Signal," Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC), Jul. 2016.
- D. S. J. Couto, D. Aguayo, J. Bicket, and R. Morris, "A High-throughput Path Metric for Multi-hop Wireless Routing," Proceedings of the 9th Annual International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking, pp.134-146, Sept. 2003.
- R. Draves, J. Padhy, and B. Zill, "Routing in Multi-radio, Multi-hop Wireless Mesh Networks," Proceedings of the 10th Annual International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking, pp.114-128. Oct. 2004.
- A. P. Subramanian, M. M. Buddhikot, and S. Miller, "Interference Aware Routing in Multi-radio Wireless Mesh Networks," Proceedings of the 2nd IEEE Workshop on Wireless Mesh Networks, pp.55-63, Sept. 2006.
- P. Santi, R. Maheshwari, G. Resta, S. Das, and D. M. Blough, "Wireless Link Scheduling under a Graded SINR Interference Model," Proceedings of the 2nd ACM international Workshop on Foundations of Wireless Ad hoc and Sensor Networking and Computing, pp.3-22, May 2009.
- C. Perkins, E. Belding-Royer, and S. Das, Ad hoc On-demand Distance Vector (AODV) Routing, RFC 3561, Technical Report, Nokia Research Center, University of California University of Cininnati, 2003.
- T. Clausen and P. Jacquet, "Optimized Link State Routing Protocol (OLSR)," RFC 3626 (Experimental), 2003.
- The ns-3 Network Simulator, http://www.nsnam.org/.