- Volume 18 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Message Framing and Evidence Type on Obesity Prevention for Chinese Adolescents
메시지 프레이밍과 증거 유형에 따른 중국 청소년 비만예방 메시지 효과
- Received : 2018.02.13
- Accepted : 2018.03.17
- Published : 2018.03.28
To develop prevention messages for increasingly severe adolescent obesity in China. this study tested interaction effects between obesity involvement and message framing, and between obesity involvement and evidence types on obesity prevention attitudes and behavioral intentions. Message framing types are categorized with a gain frame and a loss frame. Evidence types are classified into narratives based on personal experiences and statistics based on objective numerical proofs. Three hundred sixty eight Chinese adolescents participated in the study. Results found that involvement, framing, and evidence types had significant effects on attitudes and behavioral intentions to obesity prevention. Adolescents highly involved in obesity were more likely to show positive attitudes and behavioral intentions when exposed to loss framing and statistical evidence. Those with low involvement showed positive attitudes and behavioral intentions after exposed to gain framing and narratives. Thus, we suggest that loss frames with numerical data should be developed to persuade adolescents with high involvement, and gain frames with narratives should be developed for those with low involvement.
Obesity Prevention;Message Framing;Narrative
- M. Ng, T. Fleming, M. Robinson, B. Thomson, N. Graetz, C. Margono, E. Mullany, S. Biryukov, C. Abbafati, S. Abera, J. Abraham, N. Abu-Rmeileh, T. Achoki, F. AlBuhairan, Z. Alemu, R. Alfonso, M. Ali, R. Ali, and E. Gakidou, "Global, regional, and natonal prevalence of overweight and obesity in children and adults during 1980-2013," Lancet, Vol.5, No.384, pp.766-781, 2014.
- http://www.who.int/gho/ncd/risk_factors/overweight_obesity/overweight_adolescents/en/, 2018.3.4
- R. Brawer, N. Brisbon, and J. Plumb, "Obesity & Cancer," Prim. Care, Vol.36, No.3, pp.509-531, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pop.2009.04.005
- G. Chang, M. Wang, H. Liu, W. Wang, J. Ma, and W. Wang, "Study on the Intervention on Improving the Risk Factors of Obesity in Elementary Students," Chinese Journal of Health Education, No.1, pp.39-42, 2011.
- W. Dietz, "Child Obesity: Susceptibility, Cause, & Management," J. Pediatr, Vol.103, No.5, pp.676-686, 1983. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-3476(83)80457-0
- 오두남, 김은만, 김선호, "한국청소년의 체중조절 행동 영향 요인," 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제13권, 제3호, pp.218-228, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2013.13.03.218
- 이은택, 노성종, 최은경, 강충구, "비만의 사회적 구성: 한국언론의 비만보도 20년(1999-2009) 분석," 한국언론학보, 제54권, 제2호, pp.87-115, 2010.
- 조인숙, 나은경, "비만, '일탈'과 '낙인' 사이: 비만 보도 프레임 유형이 비만과 비만인에 대한 인식 및 예방행동의도에 미치는 영향," 한국언론학보, 제57권, 제2호, pp.316-341, 2013.
- 조형오, 김병희, "비만예방광고의 메시지 유형별 설득효과 차이분석," 광고학연구, 제11권, 제4호, pp.16-18, 2000.
- 유강훈, 비만예방광고의 메시지 프레이밍효과에 관한 연구: 심리적 비만도와 관여도를 중심으로, 홍익대학교, 석사학위논문, 2008.
- 정명희, 이지선, 정혜선, "우리나라 청소년의 비만에 영향을 미치는 요인 분석," 한국학교보건학회지, 제29권, 제1호, pp.11-21, 2016. https://doi.org/10.15434/KSSH.2016.29.1.11
- D. Kahneman and A. Tversky, "The Framing of Decisions and the Psychology of Choice," Science, Vol.211, No.4481, pp.453-458, 1981. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.7455683
- 김성재, 유명길, "메시지 프레이밍이 광고효과에 미치는 영향-조절초점과 제품유형의 조절효과," 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제10권, 제8호, pp.177-185, 2010. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2010.10.8.177
- H. Krugman, "The Measurement of Advertising Involvement," Public Opin. Q, Vol.30, No.4, pp.583-596, 1966. https://doi.org/10.1086/267457
- R. Petty, J. Cacioppo, and R. Gold,man, "Perosnal Involvement As a Determinant of Argument-based Persuasion," J. Pers. Soc. Psychol, Vol.41, No.5, pp.847-855, 1981. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.1997
- J. Zaichkowsky, "Measuring the Involvement Construct," J. Consumer Res, Vol.12, No.3, pp.341-352, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1086/208520
- D. Maheswaran and J. Meyers-levy, "The Influence of Message Framing & Issue Involvement," J. Mark, Vol.27, No.3, pp.361-367, 1990. https://doi.org/10.2307/3172593
- R. M. Perloff, The Dynamics of Persuasion, LEA, 2003.
- R. S. Cathcart, "An Experimental Study of the Relative Effectiveness of Four Methods of Presenting Evidence," Speech Monogr, Vol.22, No.3, pp.227-233, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1080/03637755509375146
- M. Allen and R. W. Preiss, "Comparing the Persuasiveness of Narrative and Statistical Evidence Using Meta-analysis," Commun. Res. Rep, Vol.14, No.2, pp125-131, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1080/08824099709388654
- D. Golding, S. Krimsky, and A. Plough, "Evaluating Risk Communication: Narrative vs. Technical Presentations of Information about Radon," Risk Anal, Vol.12, No.1, pp.27-35, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1539-6924.1992.tb01304.x
- J. E. Kopfman, S. W. Smith, J. K. A. Yun, and A. Hodges, "Affective and Cognitive Reactions to Narrative versus Statistical Evidence Organ Donation Messages," J. Appl, Commun. Res, Vol.26, No.3, pp.279-300, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1080/00909889809365508
- C. Good, Persuasion Effect of Narrative and Statistical Evidence Combinations, Kansas State University, 2010.
- M. D. Slater and D. Rouner, "Entertainment -education and Elaboration Likelihood: Understanding the Processing of Narrative Persuasion," Commun. Theory, Vol.12, No.2, pp.173-191, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1093/ct/12.2.173
- A. B. Bakker, "Persuasive Communication about AIDS Prevention: Need for Cognition Determines the Impact of Message Format," AIDS Educ. Prev, Vol.11, No.2, pp.150-162, 1999.
- 조성은, 유선욱, "위험지각태도와 규범이 자궁경 부암 예방행동의도에 미치는 영향에 대한 연구," 홍보학연구, 제14권, 제4호, pp.58-98, 2011.
- 이상록, 김진희, "비만이 청소년 발달에 미치는 영향," 청소년복지연구, 제13권, 제4호, pp.91-117, 2011.