- Volume 6 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Spine Mobilization Technique on Balance and the Low Back Pain Disability Index of Patients with Chronic Back Pain
허리관절가동기법이 만성요통환자의 균형과 요통 기능장애 지수에 미치는 영향
- Yang, Daejung (Dept. of Physical Therapy, Sehan University) ;
- Park, Seungkyu (Dept. of Physical Therapy, Sehan University) ;
- Kang, Jungil (Dept. of Physical Therapy, Sehan University) ;
- Kim, Jeho (Dept. of Physical Therapy, Sehan University) ;
- Jung, Daekeun (Dept. of Physical Therapy, Sehan University) ;
- Kim, Youngil (Dept. of Physical Therapy, Graduate School of Sehan University) ;
- Uhm, Yohan (Dept. of Physical Therapy, Graduate School of Sehan University)
- 양대중 (세한대학교 물리치료학과) ;
- 박승규 (세한대학교 물리치료학과) ;
- 강정일 (세한대학교 물리치료학과) ;
- 김제호 (세한대학교 물리치료학과) ;
- 정대근 (세한대학교 물리치료학과) ;
- 김영일 (세한대학교 물리치료학과) ;
- 엄요한 (세한대학교 물리치료학과)
- Received : 2018.09.14
- Accepted : 2018.10.17
- Published : 2018.12.30
Purpose : The purpose of this study was to examine the effects of waist mobilization technique intervention for patients with chronic back pain on balance and the low back pain disability index. Methods : The subjects were 30 patients with chronic back pain. They were sampled and divided into a manual therapy group and a spinal decompression group. 15 subjects were randomly assigned to each group. Each training in this study participated for 6 weeks, 5 times a week, once a day, 15 minutes a day. Balance ability was measured with a balance analyzer, and the low back pain disability index was measured using the Oswestry Disability Index (ODI). Results : In the balance abilities, there was a significant difference in the manual therapy group compared to the spinal decompression group. In the low back pain disability index, there was a significant difference in the manual therapy group compared to the spinal decompression group. Conclusion : The analysis results of the effect of 6 weeks of waist mobilization technique intervention on the balance and low back pain disability index for patients with chronic back pain revealed that the manual therapy is more effective for static and dynamic balance ability and the low back pain disability index. In the future, we can promote independent life skills and expect a rapid recovery of patients with chronic back pain. Based on this study, further studies are needed on the effects of balance, the mechanical properties of muscle, and the low back pain disability index depending on various manual therapy techniques.
Supported by : 새한대학교
- Aure OF, Nilsen JH, Vasseljen O(2003). Manual therapy and exercise therapy in patients with chronic low back pain: a randomized, controlled trial with 1-year follow-up. Spine, 28(6), 525-531. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.BRS.0000049921.04200.A6
- Borghuis J, Hof AL, Lemmink KA(2008). The importance of sensory- motor control in providing core stability. Sports Med, 38(11), 893-916. https://doi.org/10.2165/00007256-200838110-00002
- Choi JO(2013). The effects of joint mobilization and flexion-distraction technique on pain, function and disc height of patients with chronic low back pain. Graduate school of Daegu University, Republic of Korea, Master's thesis.
- Choi JS(2015). The effect of thoracic spine mobilization passing through the sling on the static and dynamic balance of chronic low back pain patients. Graduate school of Dongshin University, Republic of Korea, Master's thesis.
- Cox JM(2005). Distraction manipulation of the lumbar spine : A review of the literature. J Manipulative Physiol Ther, 29(1), 89-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmpt.2005.10.003
- Daniel DM(2007). Non-surgical spinal decompression therapy: does the scientific literature support efficacy claims made in the advertising media. Chiropr Osteopat, 15(7), 1-5. https://doi.org/10.1186/1746-1340-15-1
- Descarreaux M, Dugas C, Lalanne K, et al(2006). Learning spinal manipulation: the importance of augmented feed back relating to various kinetic parameters. Spine J, 6(2), 138-145. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.spinee.2005.07.001
- Ferreira ML, Ferreira PHJ, Latimrt RD, et al(2007). Comparison of general exercise, motor control exercise and Spinal manipulative therapy for chronic low back pain : A randomized trial. Pain, 131(1-2), 31-37. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pain.2006.12.008
- Franca FR, Burke TN, Hanada ES, et al(2010). Segmental stabilization and muscular strengthrning chronic low back pain : A comparative study. Clinics, 65(10), 1013-1017. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1807-59322010001000015
- Fritz JM, Irraang JJ(2001). A comparison of modified Oswestry low back pain disability questionnaire and the Quebec back pain disability scale. Phys Ther, 81(2), 776-788. https://doi.org/10.1093/ptj/81.2.776
- Ghroub S, Elleuch H, Bakloutis S, et al(2007). Chronic low back pain and vertebral manipulation. Ann Readapt Med Phys, 50(7), 570-576. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annrmp.2007.02.012
- Gionis TA, Groteke E(2003). Spinal decompression. Ortho Tech Rev, 5(6), 36-43.
- Gudavalli MR, Cambron JA, McGregor M, et al(2006) A randomized clinical trial and subgroup analysis to compare flexion-distraction with active exercise for chronic low back pain. Eur Spine J, 15(7), 1070-1082. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00586-005-0021-8
- Hamaoui A, Do MC, Bouisset S(2004). Postural sway increase in low back pain subjects is not related to reduced spine range of motion. Neurosci Lett, 357(2), 135-138. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neulet.2003.12.047
- Heo KY(2009). Effect of spinal decompression therapy compared with intermittent mechanical Traction in lumbosacral disc herniation. Graduate school of Kyunghee University, Republic of Korea, Master's thesis.
- Henry SM, Hitt JR, Jones SL, et al(2006) Decreased limits os stability in response to postural perturvations in subjects with low back pain. Clin Biomech, 21(9), 881-892. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinbiomech.2006.04.016
- Hoeksma HL, Dekker OJ, Ronday HK, et al(2005). Manual therapy in osteoarthritis of the hip: outcome in subgroups of patients. Rheumatol, 44(4), 461-464. https://doi.org/10.1093/rheumatology/keh482
- Hyoung HK(2008). Effects of a strengthening program for lower back in older women with chronic low back pain. J Korean Acad Nurs, 38(6), 902-913. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2008.38.6.902
- Hyung IH, Ha MS(2009). Effect of immediate dynamic balance ability of chronic low back pain on Maitland's manual therapy. The Korea Contents Association, 9(6), 207-215.
- Jason HR, Kyndall B(2013). The role of prism glass and postural restoration in managing a collegiate baseball player with bilateral sacroiliac joint dysfunction: A case report. Int J Sports Phys Ther, 8(5), 716-728.
- Jeon CH, Kim DJ, Kim DJ, et al(2005). Cross-cultural adaptation of the korean version of the Oswestry Disability Index. J Korean Spine Surg, 12(2), 146-152. https://doi.org/10.4184/jkss.2005.12.2.146
- Kaltenborn FM, Evjenth O, Kaltenborn TB(2012). Manual mobilization of the joints Vol. 2: The Spine. 6th ed, Norway, Orthopedic Physical Therapy Products.
- Kim MK(2005). The effect of sport massage and low back adjustment on the degree of spinal pain, vertebral range of motion and isokinetic power in wrestler with chronic low back pain. Korea Sport Res, 16(5), 357-364.
- Lee HS(2001). A study of standing balance control between normal subjects and subjects with low back pain. Graduate school of Daegu University, Republic of Korea, Doctoral dissertation.
- Lee HS(2014). Effects of lumbopelvic stabilization exercise on lumbosacral region angle, dynamic balance, trunk extensor endurance and pain index in chronic low back oain patients. Korea J Sports Sci, 23(2), 993-1005.
- Liddle SD, Baxter GD, Gracey JH(2004). Exercise and chronic low back pain: what works?. Pain, 107(1-2), 176-190. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pain.2003.10.017
- Macario A, Perqolizzi JV(2006). Systematic literature review of spinal decompression via motorized traction for chronic discogenic low back pain. Pain Pract, 6(3), 171-178. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1533-2500.2006.00082.x
- Maduri A, Wilson S(2009). Lumbar position sense with extreme lumbar angle. J Electromyogr Kinesiol, 19(4), 607-613. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jelekin.2008.03.004
- Mangus BC, Hoffman LA, Hoffman MA(2002). Basic principles of extremity joint mobilization using a Kaltenborn approach. J Sport Rehabil, 11(4), 235-250. https://doi.org/10.1123/jsr.11.4.235
- Mehra A, Baker D, Disney S, et al(2008). Oswestry Disability Index scoring made easy. Ann R Coll Surg Engl, 90(6), 497-499. https://doi.org/10.1308/003588408X300984
- Moon KM(2005). Factors affecting the pain & disability of the low back pain patients. Graduate school of Ajou University, Republic of Korea, Master's thesis.
- Newcomer K, Laskowski ER, Yu B, et al(2001). The effects of a lumbar support on repositioning error in subjects with low back pain. Arch Phys Med Rehahil, 82(7), 906-910. https://doi.org/10.1053/apmr.2001.23281
- Ombregt L(2005). A system of orthopedic medicine. 2nd ed, London, Churchil Living Stone.
- Osullivan PB, Burnett A, Floyd AN, et al(2003). Lumbar repositioning deficit in a specific low back pain population. Spine, 28(10), 1074-1079. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-200305150-00022
- Park GM(2009). Effect of postural correction exercise program on back pain and lumbar lordosis angle. Graduate school of Keimyung University, Republic of Korea, Master's thesis.
- Park SJ, Lee DK(2012). The effect of therapeutic exercise for patients with HNP on trunk muscle strength. Korea J Sports Sci, 21(3), 1173-1183.
- Powers CM, Beneck GJ, Hulig K, et al(2008). Effects of a single session of posterior-to-anterior spinal mobilization and press-up exercise on pain and response with lumbar spine extension in people with nonspecific low back pain. Phys Ther, 88(4), 485-493. https://doi.org/10.2522/ptj.20070069
- Radehold A, Cholewicki J, Polzhofer GK, et al(2001) Impaired postural control of the lumbar spine is associated with delayed muscle response times in patients with chronic idiopathic low back pain. Spine, 26(7), 724-730. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-200104010-00004
- Rubin DI(2007). Epidemiology and risk factors for spine pain. Neurol Clin, 25(2), 353-371. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ncl.2007.01.004
- Shumway-Cook A, Woollacott M(2007). Motor control: translating research into clinical practice. 3rd ed, Philadelphia, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, pp.612.
- Song GB, Park EC(2016). The effects of balance training on balance pad and sand on balance and gait ability in stroke patients. Korea Soc Phys Med, 11(1), 45-52. https://doi.org/10.13066/kspm.2016.11.1.45
- Steele J, Fisher J, Bruce-Low S, et al(2017). Variability in strength, pain, and disability changes in response to an isolated lumbar extension resistance training intervention in participants with chronic low back pain. Healthcare(Basel), 5(4), E75.
- Sung YB(2013). The effects of thoracic mobilization & manipulation on function and psychology in patients with chronic low back pain. Graduate school of Korea National Transportation University, Republic of Korea, Master's thesis.
- Sutlive TG, Mabry LM, Easterling EJ, et al(2009). Comparison of short-term response to two spinal manipulation techniques for patients with low back pain in a military beneficiary population. Mil Med, 174(7), 750-756. https://doi.org/10.7205/MILMED-D-02-4908
- U YB, Kwon MY(2015). The effects of lumbar stabilization exercise and strengthening exercise of lower extremity on pain and muscle strength of leg in patients with chronic low back pain. Korea Soc Integrative Med, 3(2), 47-54. https://doi.org/10.15268/ksim.2015.3.2.047
- Wheeler AH, Murrey DB(2002). Chronic lumbar spine and radicular pain: pathophysiology and treatment. Curr Pain Headache Rep, 6(2), 97-105. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11916-002-0005-x
- Wilder D, Xia T, Ankrum J, et al(2006). Seated human response to simple and complex impacts. First American CONFERENCE ON HUMAN VIBRATION.[vp], 64-65.
- Yang JM(2016). The effect of thoracic joint mobilization on pain, disability, spine curvature, static balance, range of motion and proprioception in back pain patients with thoracic hypomobility. Graduate school of Daejeon University, Republic of Korea, Master's thesis.
- Yoshihara K, Shirai Y, Nakayama Y, et al(2001). Histochemical changes in the multifidus muscle in patients with lumbar intervertebral disc herniation. Spine, 26(6), 622-626. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-200103150-00012
- Yu JY(2012). Investigation of health-related quality of life for the spinal patients af fected by pain and functional disorder before and after the spinal operations. Graduate school of Daegu Haany University, Republic of Korea, Master's thesis.