- Volume 14 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Impact of Perceived Risk Factors on Cognitive Trust and Quality Trust in Mobile Payment Systems
- Choi, Hun (Department of Management Information Systems, Catholic University of Pusan) ;
- Choi, Yoo Jung (School of Business Administration, Kyungpook National University)
- Received : 2018.07.17
- Accepted : 2018.08.16
- Published : 2018.12.28
Recently, the developments in IT technology and the spread of smart phones have made Fin-Tech, which is a combination of financial services and IT technology, a big issue. In accordance with the growth trend of mobile payments in the world, all financial transactions in Korea are gradually shifting to smart phones. In fact, mobile payment system services are not widely used by users. In particular, the risk factors involved when users want to use the service are one of the factors that hinder the expansion of the usage of mobile financial payment service. The risk factors affect the trust of the mobile payment system users. Therefore, this study investigates the risk factors of the mobile payment system and the manner in which it affects a user's trust. We have also examined as how user's trust affects trust in the quality of the mobile payment system. To this end, the trust in overall quality of use was largely divided into trust in system quality, trust in information quality, and trust in service quality. Perceived finance risk, perceived performance risk, and perceived privacy risk have negative effects on cognitive trust. However, perceived time risk did not affect cognitive trust. User's cognitive trust also has an effect on trust in quality.
Supported by : Catholic University of Pusan
- T. Hirunyawipada and A. K. Paswan, "Consumer Innovativeness and Perceived Risk: Implications for High Technology Product Adoption," Journal of Consumer Marketing, vol. 23, no.4, 2006, pp. 182-198. https://doi.org/10.1108/07363760610674310
- K. Mitra, M. C. Reiss, and L. M. Capella, "An examination of perceived risk, information search and behavioral intentions in search, experience and credence services," Journal of Services Marketing, vol. 13, no. 3, 1999, pp. 208-228. https://doi.org/10.1108/08876049910273763
- M. S. Featherman and P. A. Pavlou, "Predicting e-service adoption: A perceived risk facets perspective," International Journal of Human-Computer Studies, vol. 9, no. 4, Oct. 2003, pp. 451-474.
- N. Lim, "Consumers perceived risk: sources versus consequences," Electronic Commerce Research and Applications, vol. 2, 2003, pp. 216-228. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1567-4223(03)00025-5
- Y. Y. Yang, H. Liu, and B. Y. Li, "Understanding perceived risks in mobile payment acceptance," Industrial Management & Data Systems, vol. 115, no. 2, 2015, pp. 253-269. https://doi.org/10.1108/IMDS-08-2014-0243
- D. J. McAllister, "Affect-and cognition-based trust as foundations for interpersonal cooperation in organizations," Academy of Management Journal, vol. 38, no.1, Feb. 1995, pp. 24-59.
- D. Johnson and K. Grayson, "Cognitive and affective trust in service relationships," Journal of Business Research, vol. 58, no. 4, Apr. 2005, pp. 500-507. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0148-2963(03)00140-1
- J. K. Rempel, J. G. Holmes, and M. P. Zanna, "Trust in close relationships," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, vol. 49, Jul. 1985, pp. 95-112. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.206
- W. H. DeLone and E. R. McLean, "The DeLone and McLean Model of Information Systems Success: A Ten- Year Update," Journal of Management Information Systems, vol. 19, no.4, Spring, 2003, pp. 9-30. https://doi.org/10.1080/07421222.2003.11045748
- D. M. Lee, Y. S. Chae, Y. K. Lee, M. J. Choi, and S. H. Jang, "The Impact of Information System Quality and Media Quality on the Intention to Use IPTV," Journal of Information and Communication Convergence Engineering, vol. 10, no. 1, Mar. 2012, pp. 71-77. https://doi.org/10.6109/jicce.2012.10.1.071
- T. Zhou, "An empirical examination of continuance intention of mobile payment services," Decision Support Systems, vol. 54, Jan. 2013, pp. 1085-1091. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dss.2012.10.034
- R. D. Freeze, K. A. Alshare, P. L. Lane, and H. J. Wen, "IS Success Model in E-Learning Context Based on Students Perceptions," Journal of Information Systems Education, vol. 21, no. 2, Summer, 2010, pp. 173-185.
- J. D. Xu, I. Benbasat, and R. T. Cenfetelli, "Integrating service quality with system and information quality: an empirical test in the e-service context," MIS Quarterly, vol. 37, no. 3, Sep. 2013, pp. 777-794. https://doi.org/10.25300/MISQ/2013/37.3.05
- D. H. McKnight, N. K. Lankton, A. Nicolaou, and J. Price, "Distinguishing the effects of B2B information quality, system quality, and service outcome quality on trust and distrust," Journal of Strategic Information Systems, vol. 26, Jun. 2017, pp. 118-141. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsis.2017.01.001
- E. Y. Huang, S. W Lin, and Y. C. Fan, "M-S-QUAL: Mobile service quality measurement," Electronic Commerce Research and Applications, vol. 14, Mar. 2015, pp. 126-142. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.elerap.2015.01.003
- X. Luo, H. Li, J. Zhang, and J. P. Shim, "Examining multi-dimensional trust and multi-faceted risk in initial acceptance of emerging technologies: An empirical study of mobile banking services," Decision Support Systems, Vol. 49, May. 2010, pp. 222-234. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dss.2010.02.008
- Y. Yang, Y. Liu, H. Li, and B. Yu, "Understanding perceived risks in mobile payment acceptance," Industrial Management & Data Systems, vol. 115, no. 2, 2015, pp. 253-269. https://doi.org/10.1108/IMDS-08-2014-0243
- S. Kang, H. Suh, and H. Kym, "The Role of Interpersonal Trust in On-line Learning Communities and Application of Knowledge," Asia Pacific Journal of Information Systems, vol. 25, no. 4, Dec. 2015, pp. 642-661. https://doi.org/10.14329/apjis.2015.25.4.642
- C. Kim, M. Mirusmonov, and I. Lee, "An empirical examination of factors influencing the intention to use mobile payment," Computers in Human Behavior, vol. 26, no. 3. May. 2010, pp. 310-322. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2009.10.013
- T. Zhou, "An empirical examination of continuance intention of mobile payment services," Decision Support Services, vol. 54, no. 2, Jan. 2013, pp. 1085-1091. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dss.2012.10.034
- H. P. Shih, "An empirical study on predicting user acceptance of e-shopping on the Web," Information & Management, vol. 41, no. 3, Jan. 2004, pp. 351-368. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-7206(03)00079-X
- K. C. Lee and N. Chung, "Understanding factors affecting trust in and satisfaction with mobile banking in Korea: A modified DeLone and McLean's model perspective," Interacting with Computers, vol. 21, no. 5, Dec. 2009, pp. 385-392. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.intcom.2009.06.004
- B. H. Wixom and P. A. Todd, "A Theoretical Integration of User Satisfaction and Technology. Acceptance," Information Systems Research, vol. 16. no. 1, Mar. 2005, pp. 85-102. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.1050.0042