- Volume 37 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A study on the identification of underwater propeller singing phenomenon
수중 프로펠러 명음 현상의 규명에 관한 연구
- Received : 2018.02.05
- Accepted : 2018.03.29
- Published : 2018.03.31
This paper is a study on the generation mechanism of propeller singing based on the cavitation tunnel test, underwater impact test, finite element analysis and computational flow analysis for the model propeller. A wire screen mesh, a propeller and a rudder were installed to simulate ship stern flow, and occurrence and disappearance of propeller singing phenomenon were measured by hydrophone and accelerometer. The natural frequencies of propeller blades were predicted through finite element analysis and verified by contact and non-contact impact tests. The flow velocity and effective angle of attack for each section of the propeller blades were calculated using RANS (Reynolds Averaged Navier-Stokes) equation-based computational fluid analysis. Using the high resolution analysis based on detached eddy simulation, the vortex shedding frequency calculation was performed. The numerical predicted vortex shedding frequency was confirmed to be consistent with the singing frequency and blade natural frequency measured by the model test.
Grant : 선박 추진기 소음 기반기술 및 소음저감 설계 핵심기술 개발
Supported by : 산업통상자원부
- W. H. Joo, D. H. Kim, and J. G. Bae, "A study of the identification and countermeasure of singing phenomenon in ships" (in Korean), Proc. KSNVE Annual Spring Conference, 797-803 (2000).
- W. W. Hwang, C. W. Lee, D. K. Lee, T. S. Jeong, and J. H. Heo, "Study on the propeller singing noise in commercial vessels" (in Korean), Proc. KSNVE Annual Spring Conference, 471-472 (2011).
- J. H. Kim, D. S. Cho, and S. Y. Han, "Vibration mode characteristics on a propeller in very large vessel" (in Korean), Proc. KSNVE Annual Spring Conference, 955-962 (2002).
- J. Shioiri, "An aspect of the propeller-singing phenomenon as a self-excited oscillation," Davison Laboratory Report No. 1059, 1965.
- Y. M. Wei, "A study of simulation and elimination of propeller singing," Proc. 2nd Int. Symp. on Shipboard Acoustics, 75-90 (1986).
- Understand, Predict, and Optimize Engineering Designs with the COMSOL Multiphysics Software, https: //www.comsol.com/comsol-multiphysics/, 2018.
- N. H. Baharin and R. A. Rahman, "Effect of accelerometer mass on thin plate vibration," Jurnal Mekanical, 29, 100-111 (2009).
- STAR-CCM+ Siemens Software Industries, https://mdx.plm.automation.siemens.com/star-ccm-plus/, 2018.