- Volume 66 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Long-term development of compressive strength and elastic modulus of concrete
- Yang, Shuzhen (Department of Bridge Engineering, Beijing Jiaotong University) ;
- Liu, Baodong (Department of Bridge Engineering, Beijing Jiaotong University) ;
- Yang, Mingzhe (China Chengda Engineering Co., Ltd.) ;
- Li, Yuzhong (Hebei University of Architecture)
- Received : 2017.07.05
- Accepted : 2018.02.03
- Published : 2018.04.25
Compressive strength and elastic modulus of concrete are constantly changing with age. In order to determine long-term development of compressive strength and elastic modulus of concrete, an investigation of C30 concrete cured in air conditions was carried out. Changes of compressive strength and elastic modulus up to 975 days were given. The results indicated that compressive strength and elastic modulus of concrete rapidly increased with age during the initial 150 days and then increased slowly. The gain in elastic modulus was slower than that of compressive strength. Then relationships of time-compressive strength, time-elastic modulus and compressive strength-elastic modulus were proposed by regression analysis and compared with other investigations. The trends of time-compressive strength and time-elastic modulus with age agreed best with ACI 209R-92. Finally, factors contributed to long-term development of compressive strength and elastic modulus of concrete were proposed and briefly analyzed.
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China
- ACI committee 209 (1992), Prediction of Creep, Shrinkage, and Temperature Effects in Concrete Structures, Detroit, Michigan, U.S.A.
- ACI Committee 318 (2014), Building Code Requirements for Reinforced Concrete and Commentary, Detroit, Michigan, U.S.A.
- ACI Committee 363 (2010), Report on High-strength Concrete, Farmington Hills, Michigan, U.S.A.
- Ahmadi-Nedushan, B. (2012), "Prediction of elastic modulus of normal and high strength concrete using ANFIS and optimal nonlinear regression models", Constr. Build. Mater., 36(6), 665-673. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2012.06.002
- AI-Khaiat, H. and Fattuhi, N. (2001), "Long-term strength development of concrete in arid conditions", Cement Concrete Compos., 23(4-5), 363-373. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0958-9465(01)00004-X
- Aitcin, P.C. and Laplante, P. (1990), "Long-term compressive strength of silica-fume concrete", J. Mater. Civil Eng., 2(3), 164-170. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0899-1561(1990)2:3(164)
- ASTM International (2012), ASTM C150: Standard Specification for Portland Cement, West Conshohocken, Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
- Baalbaki, W., Aitcin, P.C. and Ballivy, G. (1992), "On predicting modulus of elasticity in high-strength concrete", ACI Mater. J., 89(5), 517-520.
- Bureau of Indian Standards (1998), Explanatory Handbook on Indian Standard Code of Practice for Plain and reinforced Concrete, M/S Printograph, New Delhi, India.
- Carino, N.J. (2016), "Prediction of potential concrete strength at later ages", Chem. Lett., 3, 205-206.
- Chen, X.D., Wu, S.X. and Zhou, J.K. (2013), "Influence of porosity on compressive and tensile strength of cement mortar", Constr. Build. Mater., 40(3), 869-874. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2012.11.072
- Chore, H.S. and Shelke, N.L. (2013), "Prediction of compressive strength of concrete using multiple regression model", Struct. Eng. Mech., 45(6), 837-851. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2013.45.6.837
- Comite Euro-International Du Beton (1993), CEB-FIP Model Code, Thomas Telford Service Ltd, London, U.K.
- Dobrowolski, J.A. (1993), Concrete Construction Handbook, Concrete Finishing, New York, U.S.A.
- Gonnerman, H. and Lerch, W. (1952), Changes in Characteristics of Portland Cement as Exhibited by Laboratory Tests Over the Period 1904 to 1950, ASTM Special Publication No. 127, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
- Hognestad, E. (1951), "Study of combined bending and axial load in reinforced concrete members", Eng. Exper. Stat., Univ. Illinois, Urbana, 49(22).
- Hughes, B.P. and Ash, J.E. (1970), "Some factors influencing the long-term strength of concrete", Mater. Struct., 3(2), 81-84.
- International Standards Organization (2010), International Standard ISO 1920-10 Determination of Static Modulus of Elasticity in Compression, Switzerland.
- Komlos, K. (1971), "Discussion: Comments on the long-term strength of plain concrete", Mag. Concrete Res., 23(77), 198-201. https://doi.org/10.1680/macr.19126.96.36.199
- Mazzotti, C. and Savoia, M. (2012), "An experimental campaign on the long-term properties of self-compacting concrete", Adv. Struct. Eng., 15(7), 1155-1166. https://doi.org/10.1260/1369-43188.8.131.525
- Ministry of Transport (2004), Reliability-Based Classification of the Load Carrying Capacity of Existing Bridges Guideline Document, Road Directorate, Denmark.
- Radman, J. (1998), "Development of concrete compressive strength. A study of Swedish bridges constructed during the 20th century", M.D. Dissertation, Lulea University of Technology, Sweden.
- Shelke, N.L. and Gadve, S. (2016), "Prediction of compressive strength of concrete based on accelerated strength", Struct. Eng. Mech., 58(6), 989-999. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2016.58.6.989
- Spak, M. and Baskova, R. (2015), "Long-term strength properties of HVFA concretes", Proceedings of the Materials Science and Engineering Conference Series, Macau, August.
- The People's Republic of China Industry Standard (2011), Specification for Proportion Design of Ordinary Concrete (JGJ55-2011), China Architecture and Building Press, Beijing, China.
- The People's Republic of China National Standard (2002), Standard for Test Method of Mechanical Properties on Ordinary Concrete (GB/T50081-2002), China Building Industry Press, Beijing, China.
- The People's Republic of China National Standard (2010), Code for Design of Concrete Structure (GB 50010-2010), China Building Industry Press, Beijing, China.
- Thun, H., Ohlsson, U. and Elfgren, L. (2006), "Concrete strength in old Swedish concrete bridges", Nord. Concrete Res., 35(1-2), 47-60.
- Turkish Standardization Institute (2000), Requirements for Design and Construction of Reinforced Concrete Structures TS 500, Ankara, Turkey.
- Waddell, J.J. (1953), "Factors influencing the strength of concrete as revealed by a six-year record of concrete control", J. Am. Concrete Inst., 50(12), 285-96.
- Washa, G.W., Saemann, J.C. and Cramer, S.M. (1989), "Fiftyyear properties of concrete made in 1937", ACI Mater. J., 86(4), 367-371.
- Washa, G.W. and Fluck, P.G. (1950), "Effect of sustained loading on compressive strength and modulus of elasticity of concrete", J. Am. Concrete Inst., 46(5), 693-700.
- Wood, S.L. (1991), "Evaluation of the long-term properties of concrete", ACI Mater. J., 88(6), 630-643.