- Volume 17 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Key Success Factors for ICT Service Startup Team : Team Creativity, Knowledge Sharing and Absorptive Capacity
ICT 서비스 스타트업의 성공조건 : 팀 창의성, 지식공유 그리고 흡수역량
- Received : 2017.11.03
- Accepted : 2017.12.11
- Published : 2018.03.31
In this research, we tried to suggest the guidelines to stakeholder of ICT startup for picking up the excellent startups and nurturing them. We designed the research model focused on the good startup team's knowledge based interaction mechanism. A research model and hypotheses were developed from literature review and empirically validated. The research model consisted relationship among the knowledge sharing (knowledge donation and knowledge collection), absorptive capacity (member's ability and member's motivation), team creativity, and innovation capability. Data were collected from ICT Service Startups, and a partial least squares (PLS) analysis was made on 175 data points. The analysis results showed that absorptive capacity has significant effect on team creativity and innovation capability directly. And also it has indirect effect on the dependent variable through team creativity. On the contrary, knowledge sharing does not have statistically significant effect on team creativity and innovation capability; only have an effect on absorptive capacity. Based on the results, we proposed several team management skills for ICT startup leaders and members, and the guidelines to stakeholder such as government and private investors. Also there are some ideas for startup nurturing polices for government officers. Theoretical contributions are discussed at the end with limitations and further studies.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Amabile, T.M., "A Model of Creativity and Innovation in Organizations", Research in Organizational Behavior, Vol.10, No.1, 1988, 123-167.
- Bagozzi, R., C. Fornell, and D. Larcker, "Canonical Correlation Analysis as A Special Case of A Structural Relations Model", Multivariate Behavioral Research, Vol.16, No.4, 1981, 437-454. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327906mbr1604_2
- Burroughs, J.E., D.W. Dahl, C.P. Moreau, A. Chattopadhyay, and G.J. Gorn, "Facilitating and Rewarding Creativity during New Product Development", Journal of Marketing, Vol.75, No.4, 2011, 53-67. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkg.75.4.53
- Chae, S., Y. Seo, and K.C. Lee, "Effects of Task Complexity on Individual Creativity through Knowledge Interaction : A Comparison of Temporary and Permanent Teams", Computers in Human Behavior, Vol.42, 2015, 138-148. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2013.10.015
- Cheon, P.U., D.S. Chung, and Y.S. Ock, "An Empirical Study on Successful Factor of Local Mobile App One-Person Creating Company : The Moderating Effects of Social Capital", Asia-Pacific Journal of Business Venturing and Entrepreneurship, Vol.9, No.2, 2014, 201-219. (천평욱, 정동섭, 옥영석, "지역 모바일 앱 1인 창조기업의 성공요인에 관한 실증분석: 사회적 자본의 조절효과를 중심으로", 벤처창업연구, 제9권, 제2호, 2014, 201-219.) https://doi.org/10.16972/apjbve.9.2.201404.201
- Choi, S.B., J.E. Kim, and S.D. Chang, "The Effects of Empowering Leadership on the Innovative Behavior-Creativity as a Mediator and Innovative Support as a Moderator", Journal of Human Resource Management Research, Vol.20, No.3, 2013, 209-229. (최석봉, 김정은, 장수덕, "임파워링 리더십이 조직구성원의 혁신행동에 미치는 영향-창의성의 매개효과 및 혁신지원분위기의 조절효과", 인적자원관리연구, 제20권, 제3호, 2013, 209- 229.)
- Cohen, W. and D. Levinthal, "Absorptive Capacity : A New Perspective on Learning and Innovation", Administrative Science Quarterly, Vol.35, No.1, 1990, 128-152. https://doi.org/10.2307/2393553
- Damanpour, F., "Organizational Innovation: A Meta-Analysis of Effects of Determinants and Moderators", Academy of Management Journal, Vol.34, No.3, 1991, 555-590.
- Ford, C.M., "A Theory of Individual Creative Action in Multiple Social Domains", Academy of Management Review, Vol.21, No.4, 1996, 1112-1142. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1996.9704071865
- Fornell, C. and J. Cha, "Partial Least Squares", Cambridee, MA : Blackwell, 1994.
- Fornell, C. and D.F. Larcker, "Evaluating Structural Equation Models with Unobservable Variables and Measurement Error", Journal of Marketing Research, Vol.18, No.1, 1981, 39-50. https://doi.org/10.2307/3151312
- Gray, C., "Absorptive Capacity, Knowledge Management and Innovation in Entrepreneurial Small Firms", International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behavior and Research, Vol.12, No.6, 2006, 345-360. https://doi.org/10.1108/13552550610710144
- Gulati, R., N. Nohria, and A. Zaheer, "Strategic Networks", Strategic Management Journal, Vol.21, No.3, 2000, 203-215. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0266(200003)21:3<203::AID-SMJ102>3.0.CO;2-K
- Hair Jr, J., R. Anderson, R. Tatham, and W. Black, "Multivariate Data Analysis : With Readings", Upper Saddle River, NJ, USA : Prentice-Hall, 1995.
- Hooff, B.v.d. and F.d.L. van, "Committed to Share : Commitment and CMC use as Antecedents of Knowledge Sharing", Knowledge and Process Management, Vol.11, No.1, 2004, 13-24. https://doi.org/10.1002/kpm.187
- Hyytinen, A., M. Pajarinen, and P. Rouvinen, "Does Innovativeness Reduce Startup Survival Rates?", Journal of Business Venturing, Vol.30, No.4, 2015, 564-581. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusvent.2014.10.001
- Kang, J.H. and K.S. Ha, "A Study of Effect of Self-Leadership by College Student on Recognition of Opportunity on Establishment of Company and Will of Establishing Company", Asia-Pacific Journal of Business Venturing and Entrepreneurship, Vol.10, No.4, 2015, 1-12. (강재학, 하규수, "대학생의 셀프리더십이 창업기회 인식과 창업의지에 미치는 영향에 관한 연구", 벤처창업연구, 제10권, 제4호, 2015, 1-12.)
- Kim, B.S., Y.S. Hau, and H.S. Lee, "The Effects of KM Performances' Antecedents on an Employee's Absorptive Capacity", Information Systems Review, Vol.12, No.1, 2010, 59-79. (김병수, 허용석, 이희석, "지식경영 성과 선행 요인이 조직원 흡수역량에 미치는 영향", Information Systems Review, 제12권, 제1호, 2010, 59-79.)
- Kim, H.J. and H.D. Seol, "Mediating Effects of Integrative Capability and Knowledge Sharing on the Relationship between Individual Creativity and Group Creativity", Knowledge Management Research, Vol.15, No.4, 2014, 223-247. (김현진, 설현도, "개인창의성과 집단창의성의 관계에서 통합능력과 지식공유의 매개효과", 지식경영연구, 제15권, 제4호, 2014, 223-247.) https://doi.org/10.15813/kmr.2014.15.4.012
- Lee, J.W., H.J. Lee, and J.G. Park, "Exploring the Impact of Empowering Leadership on Knowledge Sharing, Absorptive Capacity and Team Performance in IT Service", Information Technology and People, Vol.27, No.3, 2014, 366-386. https://doi.org/10.1108/ITP-10-2012-0115
- Lee, K.O. and H.S. Park, "The Influence of Small Firm CEO's Entrepreneurial Attributes in the Start", Asia-Pacific Journal of Business Venturing and Entrepreneurship, Vol. 10, No.1, 2015, 69-82. (이길원, 박현숙, "창업소기업 경영자의 기업가적 속성이 차별화 중심형 경쟁우위와 경영성과에 미치는 영향", 벤처창업연구, 제10권, 제1 호, 2015, 69-82.)
- Lenox, M. and A. King, "Prospects for Developing Absorptive Capacity through Internal Information Provision", Strategic Mana gement Journal, Vol.25, No.4, 2004, 331- 345.
- Liao, S.H., W.C. Fei, and C.C. Chen, "Innovation Capability : An Empirical Study of Taiwan's Knowledge-intensive Industries", Journal of Information Science, Vol.33, No.3, 2007, 340-359. https://doi.org/10.1177/0165551506070739
- Liao, S.H., C.C. Wu, D.C. Hu, and G.A. Tsuei, "Knowledge Acquisition, Absorptive Capacity, and Innovation Capability : An Empirical Study of Taiwan's Knowledge-Intensive Industries", Proceedings of World Academy of Science : Engineering and Technology, Vol.53, 2009, 160-167.
- Liao, S.H., C.C. Wu, D.C. Hu, and K.A. Tsui, "Relationships between Knowledge Acquisition, Absorptive Capacity and Innovation Capability : An Empirical Study on Taiwan's Financial and Manufacturing Industries", Journal of Information Science, Vol.36, No.1, 2010, 19-35. https://doi.org/10.1177/0165551509340362
- Luo, Y., C. Zhang, Y. Xu, and H. Ling, "Creativity in IS usage and Workgroup Performance : The Mediating Role of Ambidextrous usage", Computers in Human Behavior, Vol.42, 2015, 110-119. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2013.10.043
- Malhotra, A., S. Gosain, and O. El Sawy, "Absorptive Capacity Configurations in Supply Chains : Gearing for Partner-enabled Market Knowledge Creation", MIS Quarterly, Vol.29, No.1, 2005, 145-187. https://doi.org/10.2307/25148671
- Nam, J.M., "A Study between Entrepreneurship and Entrepreneurship Education Outcomes", Asia-Pacific Journal of Business Venturing and Entrepreneurship, Vol.10, No.1, 2015, 45-53. (남정민, "기업가정신과 창업교육 성과간의 연구", 벤처창업연구, 제10권, 제1호, 2015, 45-53.)
- Nemanich, L.A., R.T. Keller, D. Vera, and W.W. Chin, "Absorptive Capacity in R&D Project Teams : A Conceptualization and Empirical Test", IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, Vol.57, No.4, 2010, 674-688. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEM.2009.2037736
- Oh, J.W., B.S. Ko, and J.K. Kang, "An Empirical Study of the Effects of Mentoring Functions on Entrepreneurship", Asia-Pacific Journal of Business Venturing and Entrepreneurship, Vol.10, No.1, 2015, 129-141. (오재우, 고복수, 강진규, "멘토링기능이 기업가정신에 미치는 영향에 관한 실증연구", 벤처창업연구, Vol.10, No.1, 2015, 129-141.) https://doi.org/10.16972/apjbve.10.1.201502.129
- Oldham, G.R. and A. Cummings, "Employee Creativity : Personal and Contextual Factors at Work", Academy of Management Journal, Vol.39, No.3, 1996, 607-634.
- Park, J.G. and J.W. Lee, "Knowledge Sharing in Information Systems Development Projects : Explicating the Role of Dependence and Trust", International Journal of Project Management, Vol.32, No.1, 2014, 153-165. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijproman.2013.02.004
- Park, J.H., H.J. Suh, and H.D. Yang, "Perceived Absorptive Capacity of Individual Users in Performance of Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) Usage : The Case for Korean Firms", Information and Management, Vol. 44, No.3, 2007, 300-312. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.im.2007.02.001
- Park, J.G., H.J. Lee, and J.W. Lee, "Exploring Antecedents of Knowledge Sharing in Teambased Innovation Activities", Journal of Information Technology Services, Vol.12, No.3, 2013, 253-271. (박준기, 이혜정, 이정우, "팀 혁신활동을 위한 지식 공유 활동 영향요인에 관한 연구", 한국IT서비스학회지, 제12권, 제3호, 2013, 253-271.)
- Park, J.G., J.I. Yoon, and J.W. Lee, "Exploring the Influences of Service Quality on Know ledge Sharing Intentions in IT Service", Journal of Information Systems, Vol.19, No.3, 2010, 237-261. (박준기, 윤정인, 이정우, "IT서비스에 있어서 서비스 품질이 지식공유의도에 미치는 영향에 관한 연구", 정보시스템연구, 제19권, 제3호, 2010, 237-261.) https://doi.org/10.5859/KAIS.2010.19.3.237
- Qian, H. and Z.J. Acs, "An Absorptive Capacity Theory of Knowledge Spillover Entrepreneurship", Small Business Economics, Vol. 40, No.2, 2013, 185-197. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11187-011-9368-x
- Scott, S.G. and R.A. Bruce, "Determinants of Innovative Behavior : A Path Model of Individual Innovation in the Workplace", Academy of Management Journal, Vol.37, No.3, 1994, 580-607.
- Seo, Y.W., S.W. Chae, and K.C. Lee, "The Impact of Absorptive Capacity, Exploration, and Exploitation on Individual Creativity : Moderating Effect of Subjective well-being", Computers in Human Behavior, Vol.42, 2015, 68-82. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2014.03.031
- Stasser, G. and W. Titus, "Pooling of Unshared Information in Group Decision Making : Biased Information Sampling During Discussion", Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.48, No.6, 1985, 1467-1478. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.1687
- Suh, T., M. Bae, H. Zhao, S.H. Kim, and M.J. Arnold, "A Multi-level Investigation of International Marketing Projects : The Roles of Experiential Knowledge and Creativity on Performance", Industrial Marketing Management, Vol.39, No.2, 2010, 211-220. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indmarman.2008.08.007
- Sung, S.Y. and J.N. Choi, "Effects of Team Knowledge Management on the Creativity and Financial Performance of Organizational Teams", Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Vol.118, No.1, 2015, 4-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.obhdp.2012.01.001
- Swink, M., "Technological Innovativeness as a Moderator of New Product Design Integration and Top Management Support", Journal of Product Innovation Management, Vol.17, No.3, 2000, 208-220. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0737-6782(00)00040-0
- Tiwana, A. and E.R. McLean, "Expertise Integration and Creativity in Information Systems Development", Journal of Management Information Systems, Vol.22, No.1, 2005, 13-43. https://doi.org/10.1080/07421222.2003.11045836
- Tsai, W., "Knowledge Transfer in Intraorganizational Networks : Effects of Network Position and Absorptive Capacity on Business Unit Innovation and Performance", Academy of Management Journal, Vol.44, No.5, 2001, 996-1004. https://doi.org/10.2307/3069443
- van Knippenberg, D., C.K. De Dreu, and A.C. Homan, "Work Group Diversity and Group Performance : An Integrative Model and Research Agenda", Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.89, No.6, 2004, 1008-1022. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.89.6.1008
- Wong, K.Y., "Critical Success Factors for Implementing Knowledge Management in Small and Medium Enterprises", Industrial Management and Data Systems, Vol.105, 2005, 261-279. https://doi.org/10.1108/02635570510590101
- Zhou, J. and J.M. George, "When Job Dissatisfaction Leads to Creativity : Encouraging the Expression of Voice", Academy of Management Journal, Vol.44, No.4, 2001, 682- 696.