- Volume 28 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Effect of Grain Content and Size on Mechanical Properties of Artificial Sedimentary Rocks
인공 퇴적암의 모래입자 크기와 함량이 역학적 성질에 미치는 영향에 관한 연구
- Byun, Hoon (Department of Energy Systems Engineering, Seoul National University) ;
- Fereshtenejad, Sayedlireza (Department of Energy Systems Engineering, Seoul National University) ;
- Song, Jae-Joon (Department of Energy Systems Engineering, Seoul National University)
- Received : 2018.02.21
- Accepted : 2018.03.20
- Published : 2018.04.30
The relationship between the mechanical and textural properties of sedimentary rocks has been studied for decades. However, inconsistencies in the results have arisen from both the inhomogeneity of natural rocks and the difficulties encountered in controlling just one textural factor of interest in each experiment. This work produced artificial sedimentary rocks to enable control of every independent parameter at all times. Their homogeneity lowered the deviation of the results, and thus they produced clearer correlations than for natural rocks. The samples were made by mixing bassanite powder with water and silica sand, which produced rocks consisting of sand and gypsum cement. The effect of grain content and size on mechanical properties such as uniaxial compressive strength, Young's modulus, and seismic velocity was estimated. Increasing grain content lowered the compressive strength but raised Young's modulus and seismic velocity. Overall, grain size did not linearly affect the mechanical properties of the samples, but affected them in some way. In future, these results can be compared and integrated with similar experiments using different cement or grain types. This should allow comparison of the effects of the rock constituents themselves and their interactions, with applicability to all kinds of sedimentary rocks.
Supported by : 산업통상자원부
- ASTM D2487-11, 2011, Standard Practice for Classification of Soils for Engineering Purposes (Unified Soil Classification System).
- ASTM D3282-15, 2015, Standard Practice for Classification of Soils and Soil-Aggregate Mixtures for Highway Construction Purposes.
- Bell, F and Culshaw, M., 1993, A survey of the geotechnical properties of some relatively weak Triassic sandstones, Eng Geol Spec Publ., 139p.
- Bell, F., 1978, The physical and mechanical properties of the Fell Sandstones, Northumberland, England, Eng Geol., Vol. 12, pp. 1-29. https://doi.org/10.1016/0013-7952(78)90002-9
- Bell, F.G. and Culshaw, M.G., 1998, Petrographic and engineering properties of sandstones from the Sneinton formation, Nottinghamshire, England, Q J Eng Geol., Vol. 31, No. 1, pp. 5-19. https://doi.org/10.1144/GSL.QJEG.1998.031.P1.02
- Bruno, M.S. and Nelson, R.B., 1991, Microstructural analysis of the inelastic behavior of sedimentary-rock, Mech Mater., Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 95-118. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6636(91)90057-7
- Cetin, A. and Carrasquillo, R.L., 1998, High-performance concrete: Influence of coarse aggregates on mechanical properties, ACI Mater J., Vol. 95, No. 3, pp. 252-261.
- Clough, G.W., Sitar, N., Bachus, R.C. and Rad, N.S., 1981, Cemented sands under static loading, J Geotech Eng., Vol. 107, No, 6, pp. 799-817.
- David, C., Menendez, B. and Bernabe, Y., 1998, The mechanical behaviour of synthetic sandstone with varying brittle cement content, Int J Rock Mech Min Sci., Vol. 35 No. 6, pp. 759-770. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0148-9062(98)00003-5
- Dobereiner, L. and Defreitas, M.H., 1986, Geotechnical properties of weak sandstones, Geotechnique., Vol. 36 No. 1, pp. 79-94. https://doi.org/10.1680/geot.19184.108.40.206
- Ersoy, A. and Waller, M.D., 1995, Textural characterization of rocks, Eng Geol., Vol. 39 No. 3-4, pp. 123-136. https://doi.org/10.1016/0013-7952(95)00005-Z
- Fahy, M. and Guccione, M., 1979, Estimating strength of sandstone using petrographic thin-section data, Bull Assoc Eng Geol., Vol. 16, No. 4, pp. 467-485.
- Fattahpour, V., Baudet, B.A., Moosavi, M., Mehranpour, M. and Ashkezari, A., 2014 Effect of grain characteristics and cement content on the unconfined compressive strength of artificial sandstones, Int J Rock Mech Min Sci., Vol. 72, pp. 109-116.
- Goodman, R.E., 1993, Engineering Geology-Rock in Engineering Construction, Wiley, New York, 86p.
- Gunsallus, K. and Kulhawy, F., 1984, A comparative evaluation of rock strength measures, Int J Rock Mech Min Sci & Geomech Abstr., Vol. 21 No. 5, pp. 233-248. https://doi.org/10.1016/0148-9062(84)92680-9
- Gupta, V. and Sharma, R., 2012, Relationship between textural, petrophysical and mechanical properties of quartzites: A case study from northwestern Himalaya, Eng Geol., Vol. 135, pp. 1-9.
- Howarth, D.F. and Rowlands, J.C., 1987, Quantitative assessment of rock texture and correlation with drillability and strength properties, Rock Mech Rock Eng., Vol. 20, No. 1, pp. 57-85. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01019511
- Johnston, C.D., 1970, Strength and deformation of concrete in uniaxial tension and compression, Mag Concrete Res., Vol. 22, No. 70, pp. 5-16. https://doi.org/10.1680/macr.19220.127.116.11
- Krumbein, W.C. and Pettijohn, F.J., 1938, Manual of Sedimentary Petrography, Appleton-Century-Crofts Inc., New York, pp. 129-133
- Meddah, M.S., Zitouni, S. and Belaabes, S., Effect of content and particle size distribution of coarse aggregate on the compressive strength of concrete, Constr Build Mater., Vol. 24, No. 4, pp. 505-512. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2009.10.009
- Olsson, W.A., 1974, Grain-size dependence of yield stress in marble, J Geophys Res., Vol. 79 No. 32, pp. 4859-4862. https://doi.org/10.1029/JB079i032p04859
- Onodera, T., and Asoka Kumara, H., 1980, Relation between texture and mechanical properties of crystalline rock,. Bull Int Assoc Eng Geol., Vol. 22, pp. 173-177.
- Palchik, V., 1999, Influence of porosity and elastic modulus on uniaxial compressive strength in soft brittle porous sandstones, Rock Mech Rock Eng., Vol. 32, No. 4, pp. 303-309. https://doi.org/10.1007/s006030050050
- Rosenthal, A., 1951, The history of calculus, Am Math Mon., Vol. 58 No. 2, pp. 75-86. https://doi.org/10.1080/00029890.1951.11999628
- Scrivener, K.L., Crumbie, A.K. and Laugesen, P., 2004, The interfacial transition zone (ITZ) between cement paste and aggregate in concrete, Interface Sci., Vol. 12 No. 4, pp. 411-421. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:INTS.0000042339.92990.4c
- Shakoor, A. and Bonelli, R.E., 1991, Relationship between petrographic characteristics, engineering index properties, and mechanical properties of selected sandstones, Bull Assoc Eng Geol., Vol. 28 No. 1, pp. 55-71.
- Soil Survey Staff, 1993, Soil Survey Manual, Soil Conservation Service: U.S. Department of Agriculture.
- Ward, M.A., 1964, The testing of concrete materials by precisely controlled uni-axial tension, University of London.
- Wu, K.R., Yan, A., Yao, W. and Zhang, D., 2002, The influence of RPCA on the strength and fracture toughness of HPC, Cement Concrete Res., Vol. 32 No. 3, pp. 351-355. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0008-8846(01)00681-0