- Volume 42 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Comparative Efficiency of Container Ports in Vietnam and Korea
- Ly, Pham Thi Hoai (Division of Shipping Management, Korea Maritime and Ocean University) ;
- Ahn, Ki-Myung (Division of Shipping Management, Korea Maritime and Ocean University) ;
- Ryoo, Dong-Keun (Division of Shipping Management, Korea Maritime and Ocean University)
- Received : 2018.01.17
- Accepted : 2018.04.30
- Published : 2018.04.30
Currently, there are very few papers that have examined the efficiency of Vietnamese ports. Of those that have, some of them take into account only a few container ports in Northern Vietnam. Others focus on comparing all types of ports in Vietnam with regard to the differences in efficiency scores when applying different methods to evaluate efficiency. However, there is no paper that specifically analyzes the efficiency of Vietnamese container ports throughout the country or that compares Vietnamese container ports with those of other countries in terms of efficiency. In order to provide more accurate and interesting information for container port authorities, in this study, 21 major Vietnamese container ports and seven major Korean container ports are selected and examined with regard to their levels of efficiency in 2016 using data envelopment analysis (DEA). This paper applies both constant return to scale (CRS) and variable return to scale (VRS) to explore the differences among overall technical efficiency, pure technical efficiency, and scale efficiency of the selected container ports. This study also indicate slacks and sets projections for inefficient ports.
- Almawsheki, E. S. and Shah,M. Z.(2015) "Technical efficiency analysis of container terminals in the Middle Eastern region", The Asian Journal of Shipping and Logistics, Vol. 31, pp. 477-486. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajsl.2016.01.006
- Banker, R. D., Charnes, A. and Cooper, W. W.(1984) "Some models for estimating technical and scale inefficiencies in data envelopment analysis", Management Science, Vol. 30, pp. 1078-1092 https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.30.9.1078
- Banker, R. D., Charnes, A., Cooper, W. W., Swarts, J., and Thomas, D. A.(1989) "An introduction to data envelopment analysis with some of its models and their uses", Research in Governmental and Nonprofit Accounting, Vol. 5, pp. 125-163
- Bichou, K.(2013) "An empirical study of the impacts of operating and market condition on container-port efficiency and benchmarking", Research in Transportation Economics, Vol. 42, pp. 28-37. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.retrec.2012.11.009
- Charnes, A., Cooper, W. W. and Rhodes, E.(1978) "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units", European Journal of Operational Research, Vol. 2, pp. 429-444. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-2217(78)90138-8
- Cooper, W.W., Seiford, L.M. and Tone, K.(2006) "Introduction to data envelopment analysis and its uses: with DEA-solver software and references", Springer Science and Business Media.
- Cullinane, K., Ji, P. and Wang, T.-F.(2005a) "The relationship between privatization and DEA estimates of efﬁciency in the container port industry", Journal of Economics and Business, Vol. 57, pp. 433-462. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jeconbus.2005.02.007
- Cullinane, K., Wang, T.-F., Song, D.-W. and Ji, P. (2006) "The technical eﬃciency of container ports: Comparing data envelopment analysis and stochastic frontier", Transportation Research Part A, Vol. 40, pp. 354-374.
- Itoh, H.(2002), "Efficiency changes at major container ports in Jpan: A window application of data envelopment analysis", Review of Urban & Regional Development Studies, Vol. 14, pp. 133-152. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-940X.00052
- Martinez-Budria, E., Diaz-Armas, R., Navarro-Ibanez, M. and Ravelo-Mesa, T.(1999), "A study of the efficiency of Spanish port authorities using data envelopment analysis", International Journal of Transport Economics, Vol. 26, pp. 237-253.
- Matias Herrera Dappe and Ancor Suarez-Aleman (2016) "Competitiveness of South Asia's Container Ports", The World Bank, number 24333.
- Nguyen, H.-O., Nghiem, H.-S. and Chang, Y-T. (2017), "A regional perpective of port performance using metafrontier analysis: the case study of Vietnamese ports", Maritime Economics and Logistics, pp. 1-19.
- Roll, Y. and Hayuth, Y.(1993), "Port performance comparision applying data envelopment analysis (DEA)", Maritime Policy and Management, Vol. 20, pp. 153-161. https://doi.org/10.1080/03088839300000025
- Ryoo, D. K.(2005), "A comparative analysis of container terminal operation in Busan and Kwangyang port", Journal of Korean Navigation and Port Research, Vol. 30, pp. 921-926.
- Ryoo, D. K., Yu, S. J. and Sharma, M. J.(2006), "Efficiency measurement of major container terminal in Asia", International Journal of Navigation and Port Research, Vol. 30, pp. 267-275. https://doi.org/10.5394/KINPR.2006.30.4.267
- Seo, Y. J., Ryoo, D. K. and Aye, M. N.(2012) "An analysis of container port efficiency in ASEAN", Journal of Navigation and Port Research International Edition, Vol. 36, pp. 535-544. https://doi.org/10.5394/KINPR.2012.36.7.535
- Tongzon, J. L.(2001), "Efficiency measurement of selected Australian and other international ports using data envelopment analysis", Transportation Research Part A, Vol. 35, pp. 107-122. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0191-2615(99)00039-9