- Volume 28 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Acupuncture for Upper Extremity Peripheral Nerve Injury: A Systematic Review
상지말초신경손상에 대한 침술치료의 효과: 체계적 문헌고찰
- Received : 2018.03.19
- Accepted : 2018.03.29
- Published : 2018.04.30
Objectives The purpose of this study is to systematically explore the effects and safety of acupuncture treatment for upper extremity peripheral nerve injury and to review the methodology of clinical trials. Methods We searched 9 electronic databases(3 international, 1 Chinese, 5 Korean) including English, Korean and Chinese, up to December 2017 for randomized controlled trials which evaluated the effects of the acupuncture in patients with upper extremity peripheral nerve injury. We abstracted the designs of the randomized clinical trials and the method of acupuncture treatment according to the Standards for Reporting Interventions in Clinical Trials of Acupuncture(STRICTA). Results A total of 8 papers were reviewed. All randomized clinical trials were conducted in China. Of them, five studies(62.5%) were electro-acupuncture as intervention. All randomized clinical trials reported favorable effects of acupuncture treatments compared to baseline or control group with outcomes of efficacy rate. However risk of bias seemed high. LI4, LI11, SI3, PC3, PC6 were most frequently used for acupoints to treat upper extremity peripheral nerve injury. Conclusions These results suggest that it is recommended to develop more detailed reporting standards for acupuncture treatment method. In the future, well designed randomized clinical trials which evaluate the effects and safety of acupuncture treatment for upper extremity peripheral nerve injury is highly needed.
Acupuncture;Peripheral nerve injury;Systematic review;Randomized controlled trial;STRICTA
- The Korean Orthopaedics Association. Orthopaedics. 7th ed. Seoul:ChoiSin Medical Publishing Co. 2013:512-48.
- Son SW, Kim SY. A clinical evaluation of peripheral nerve injuries in the upper extremity. The Keimyung Univ Med J. 1985;4(2):229-36.
- Kim SB, Eo KY, Bae SH. A clinical study on traumatic peripheral nerve injury. DongGuk J Med. 1993;1(1):43-50.
- Lee SY, Lee YJ, So MJ, Jung YH, Suh CY, Joo HS, Shin JK. A review of the domestic study trends on traumatic peripheral nerve injury treated with Korean medicine. J Sports Korean Med. 2016;16(1):73-82.
- Han TR, Bang MS, Jeong SG. Rehabilitation Medicine. 5th ed. Seoul:Koonja publisher. 2014:59-67.
- National Evidence-based Healthcare Collaborating Agency. NECA's guidance for undertaking systematic reviews and meta-analyses for intervention. Seoul:NECA. 2011:65-78.
- MacPherson H, Altman DG, Hammerschlag R, Youping L, Taixiang W, White A, Moher D, STRICTA Revision Group. Revised STandards for Reporting Interventions in Clinical Trials of Acupuncture (STRICTA): extending the CONSORT statement. PLoS Med. 2010;7(6):e1000261. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pmed.1000261
- Higgins J, Green S. Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions [Internet]. Version 5.1.0 [updated 2011 Mar; cited 2018 Jan 31]. Available from: http://handbook.cochrane.org.
- Kim CH, Kim YS. Paralysis disease clinic. Seoul:Jeongdam. 1996:248-53.
- Kim SS, Ko SK, Cho KH, Kim YS, Bae HS, Lee KS. East-West medical study on bi syndrome: focusing on causes and symptoms. J Int Korean Med. 1994;15(1):116-27.
- Dong JQ, Ma CY, Wang J, Mei XR, Shang Q. Treatment of pediatric brachial plexus injury with plum blossom acupuncture combined with comprehensive rehabilitation training in 30 cases. Forum on Traditional Chinese Medicine. 2013;28(6):31-2.
- Han Y. Acupuncture treatment of peripheral nerve injury in clinical research. Heilongjiang University of Chinese Medicine. 2011:1-45.
- Hao J, Bao TZ, Zhao CP. The treatment of radial nerve injury by electrical acupuncture of the acupoints along the yangming channels: a clinical observation. The Journal of Traditional Chinese Orthopedics and Traumatology. 2002;14(12):5-6.
- Li HM. The clinical observation on treating the upper extremity peripheral nerve injury with cluster needling of scalp point combined with rehabilitation technique. Heilongjiang University of Chinese Medicine. 2012:1-52.
- Liu ZH. Clinical observation on the effects of the peripheral nerve injury with the jiaji electric-acupuncture combined with rehabilitation training. Heilongjiang University of Chinese Medicine. 2012:1-54.
- Wang XB, Jiang YJ, Chen JX, Hu MJ, Zhang XR, Guo JF. Observations on the efficacy of electroacupuncture plus rehabilitation training in treating upper limb peripheral nerve injury. Shanghai J Acu-mox. 2011;30(9):604-6.
- Xiao GR. Acupuncture and function training to treatment peripheral nerve injury. Sandong University of Traditional Chinese Medicine. 2003:1-34.
- Yang JX. Clinical observation on 70 cases of ulnar nerve injury treated by row-acupuncture therapy combined with fumigation of Chinese herbs. Journal of Guiyang College of Traditional Chinese Medicine. 2013;35(5):291-2.
- Lee S H, Kim J G, M in B I, L ee H J. A nalgesic e ffect of electroacupuncture combined with thruming method. The Journal of Korea Acupuncture on Moxibustion Society. 1999;16(3):1-13.
- The society of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation. Korean medicine rehabilitation. 4th rev. ed. Seoul:Koonja publisher. 2015:165-72.