- Volume 28 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Clinical Effects of Complex Korean Medicine Treatment in Patients with Cervical Spine Fracture Caused by Traffic Accident: A Report of 2 Cases
교통사고로 발생한 경추 골절 환자에 대한 한방복합치료 효과: 증례보고
- Han, Si-Hoon (Department of Rehabilitation of Korean Medicine, Dea-Jeon Jaseng Hospital of Korean Medicine) ;
- Lee, Gi-Eon (Department of Rehabilitation of Korean Medicine, Dea-Jeon Jaseng Hospital of Korean Medicine) ;
- Jo, Kyeong-Sang (Department of Rehabilitation of Korean Medicine, Dea-Jeon Jaseng Hospital of Korean Medicine) ;
- Byun, Da-Young (Department of Rehabilitation of Korean Medicine, Dea-Jeon Jaseng Hospital of Korean Medicine) ;
- Oh, Min-Seok (Department of Rehabilitation of Korean Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Dae-Jeon University)
- 한시훈 (대전자생한방병원 한방재활의학과) ;
- 이기언 (대전자생한방병원 한방재활의학과) ;
- 조경상 (대전자생한방병원 한방재활의학과) ;
- 변다영 (대전자생한방병원 한방재활의학과) ;
- 오민석 (대전대학교 한의과대학 한방재활의학과교실)
- Received : 2018.03.17
- Accepted : 2018.04.02
- Published : 2018.04.30
The objective of this study is to report the effects of complex Korean Medicine treatment for 2 patients who had cervical spine fracture casued by traffic accident. We used acupuncture, pharmacopuncture, moxibustion and herbal medicine to treat patients with cervical spine fracture. We observed the changes of pain by Numeric Rating Scale(NRS), Neck Disability Index(NDI) and EuroQol-5 Dimension Index(EQ-5D Index). After complex Korean Medicine treatment, we found that neck pain was reduced and quality of life were improved by NRS, NDI and EQ-5D Index. Complex Korean Medicine could be effective for patients with cervical spine fracture caused by traffic accident.
- Suk SI. Textbook of spinal surgery. 3rd ed. Seoul:ChoiSin Medical Publishing Co. 2011:668.
- Kim SP, Sun KH, Kim SJ, Kim TH. Top of the basilar syndrome after 2nd cervical spine fracture. J Korean Soc Emerg Med. 2017;28(2):213-7.
- Park D. Application of ultrasound-guided C5 nerve root block using polydeoxyribonucleotide in traumatic C5 nerve root injury caused by fracture of the articular process of the cervical spine: a case report. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96(46):e8728. https://doi.org/10.1097/MD.0000000000008728
- Kim SG, Kim JH, Park SH, Choi JS, Cho NG. A case report of brown-sequard syndrome caused by traumatic cervical fracture. The Acupuncture. 2015;32(1):133-40. https://doi.org/10.13045/acupunct.2015013
- Passias PG, Poorman GW, Segreto FA, Jalai CM, Horn SR, Bortz CA, Vasquez-Montes D, Diebo BG, Vira S, Bono OJ, De La Garza-Ramos R, Moon JY, Wang C, Hirsch BP, Zhou PL, Gerling M, Koller H, Lafage V. Traumatic fractures of the cervical spine: analysis of changes in incidence, cause, concurrent injuries, and complications among 488,262 patients from 2005 to 2013. World Neurosurg. 2018;110:e427-37. Epub 2017 Nov 11. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wneu.2017.11.011
- An JS. Lower cervical spine injury. J Korean Fract Soc. 2011;24(1):100-13. https://doi.org/10.12671/jkfs.2011.24.1.100
- The Korean Orthopaedic Association. Orthopaedics. 6th ed. Seoul:ChoiSin Medical Publishing Co. 2006:946.
- The Textbook Compilation Committee of The Korean Acupuncture and Moxibustion Society. The acupuncture and moxibustion. 2nd ed. Seoul:Jipmoon-Dang. 2012:503-6.
- Bae K J, Jeong J W, J ung M Y, K im SJ. R eviewing r esearch on the treatment and study of fracture in Korean journals objective: focus on domestic thesis. Journal of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation. 2015;25(3):27-36. https://doi.org/10.18325/JKMR.2015.25.3.27
- Wall PD, Melzack R. Textbook of Pain. Seoul:Jungdam Publication. 2002:483-4.
- Lee YK, Nam HS, Chuang LH, Kim KY, Yang HK, Kwon IS, Kind P, Kweon SS. South Korean time trade-off values for EQ-5D health states: modeling with observed values for 101 health states. Value in Health. 2009;12(8):1187-93. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1524-4733.2009.00579.x
- EuroQol Research Foundation. Instruments of EQ-5D [Internet]. version 2017 Apr 28 [cited 2018 Jan 3]. Available from: URL: https://euroqol.org/eq-5d-instruments/
- Lee SI. Validity and reliability evaluation for EQ-5D in Korea [Internet]. Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; 2011 [cited 2012 Mar 08]. Available from: http://www.cdc.go.kr/CDC/contents/CdcKrContentLink.j sp?fid=28&cid=1742&ctype=1
- Lee EW, Shin WS, Jung KS, Chung YJ. Reliability and validity of the neck disability index in neck pain patients. Physical Therapy Korea. 2007;14(3):97-103.
- KoROAD. Traffic Accident Analysis System [Internet]. Statistical information [cited 2018 Jan 3]. Available from: URL: http://taas.koroad.or.kr/sta/acs/gus/selectTfcacdTre nd.do?menuId=WEB_KMP_OVT_TAC_TCO&dbClCode=01
- Marcon RM, Cristante AF, Teixeira WJ, Narasaki DK, Oliveira RP, de Barros Filho TE. Fractures of the cervical spine. Clinics (Sao Paulo). 2013;68(11):1455-61. https://doi.org/10.6061/clinics/2013(11)12
- Woo SJ, Shin JW, Jang WS, Baek KM. A case report of treatment of a patient with neuromyelitis optica and suffering from vision disorder and quadriplegia with Korean traditional medicine. J Int Korean Med. 2017;38(5):658-67. https://doi.org/10.22246/jikm.2017.38.5.658
- Korean Spinal Neurosurgery Society. The Textbook of Spine. 2nd ed. Seoul:Koonja Public. 2013:501.
- Park H, Song KJ, Lee KB, Sim JH. Injury severity and patterns of accompanying injury in spinal fracture. Journal of the Korean Fracture Society. 2012;25(3):203-7. https://doi.org/10.12671/jkfs.2012.25.3.203
- Kepler CK, Vaccaro AR, Chen E, Patel AA, Ahn H, Nassr A, Shaffrey CI, Harrop J, Schroeder GD, Agarwala A, Dvorak MF, Fourney DR, Wood KB, Traynelis VC, Yoon ST, Fehlings MG, Aarabi B. Treatment of isolated cervical facet fractures: a systematic review. Journal of Neurosurgery: Spine. 2016;24(2):347-54. https://doi.org/10.3171/2015.6.SPINE141260
- Aarabi B, Mirvis S, Shanmuganathan K, Vaccaro AR, Holmes CJ, Danesh NA, Fehlings MG, Dvorak MF. Comparative effectiveness of surgical versus nonoperative management of unilateral, nondisplaced, subaxial cervical spine facet fractures without evidence of spinal cord injury: Clinical article. Journal of Neurosurgery: Spine. 2014;20(3):270-7. https://doi.org/10.3171/2013.11.SPINE13733
- Murphy H, Schroeder GD, Shi WJ, Kepler CK, Kurd MF, Fleischman AN, Kandziora F, Chapman JR, Benneker LM, Vaccaro AR. Management of Hangman's Fractures: A Systematic Review. Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma. 2017;31(9):S90-5. https://doi.org/10.1097/BOT.0000000000000952
- Jin ES, Koh DH, Kim HN, Kim JW, Hong SS, Kim HK, Lee JH. The clinical study of 35 admission patients to oriental medical hospital due to thoraco-lumbar compression fracture. The Journal of Korea CHUNA Manual Medicine for Spine & Nerves. 2008;3(2):19-27.