- Volume 28 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Two Cases of Atypical Facial Pain Using Treatment of Acupuncture at Cervical and Facial region : A Case Report
경추부 중심의 침치료로 호전된 비정형 안면통의 치험 2례
- Park, Seohyun (Department of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation Medicine, Bundang Korean Medicine Hospital, Dong-Guk University) ;
- Moon, Sori (Department of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation Medicine, Bundang Korean Medicine Hospital, Dong-Guk University) ;
- An, Sunjoo (Department of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation Medicine, Bundang Korean Medicine Hospital, Dong-Guk University) ;
- Keum, Dongho (Department of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation Medicine, Bundang Korean Medicine Hospital, Dong-Guk University)
- 박서현 (동국대학교 분당한방병원 한방재활의학과) ;
- 문소리 (동국대학교 분당한방병원 한방재활의학과) ;
- 안선주 (동국대학교 분당한방병원 한방재활의학과) ;
- 금동호 (동국대학교 분당한방병원 한방재활의학과)
- Received : 2018.03.16
- Accepted : 2018.04.09
- Published : 2018.04.30
Atypical facial pain is persistent facial pain in the absence of clinical neurological deficit. We experienced two patient who are diagnosed atypical facial pain with Classification of International Headache Society. They were treated by acupuncture at their cervical and facial region. After treatment, their Pain intensity numerical rating scale(PI-NRS) is decreased and EuroQol five dimensions questionnaire(EQ-5D) score is increased. Treatment of acupuncture at cervical and facial region could be effective for easing the clinical symptoms of atypical facial pain. Further studies are needed to find effective treatment for atypical facial pain.
- Zakrzewska JM. Differential diagnosis of facial pain and guidelines for management. British Journal of Anaesthesia. 2013;111(1):95-104. https://doi.org/10.1093/bja/aet125
- Agostoni E, Frigerio R, Santoro P. Atypical facial pain: clinical considerations and differential diagnosis. Neurol Sci. 2005;26(suppl 2):s71-4. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10072-005-0412-y
- Mtui E, Gruener G, Dockery P. Fitzgerald's clinical neuroanatomy and neuroscience. 7th ed. Seoul:Bummun. 2017:212, 214-5.
- Weiss AL, Ehrhardt KP, Tolba R. Atypical facial pain: a comprehensive, evidence-based review. Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2017;21:8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11916-017-0609-9
- International Headache Society. The international classification of headache disorders, 3rd edition(beta version). Cephalalgia. 2013;33(9):629-808. https://doi.org/10.1177/0333102413485658
- Kim TY, Lee CW, Kang JY, Kim CH. Two cases of atypical facial pain using oriental medical treatment with Melonis Calyx vomiting therapy. J Korean Med Ophthalmol Otolaryngol Dematol. 2014;27(4):189-99. https://doi.org/10.6114/jkood.2014.27.4.189
- Choi AR, Kang KR, Lee MS, Jung YJ, Han DG, Kang AH, Song WS, Lee HC. Case report of a patient with atrypical facial pain using traditional Korean medical treatments. J Int Korean Med. 2016;37(2):337-44.
- Shim SY, Park HJ, Lee JM, Lee HS. An overview of pain measurements. The Korean Journal of Meridian & Acupoint. 2007;24(2):77-97.
- Kim T S, K im SW, L ee SD, Choi H J, K ang BS, Bae SC, Park JS, Im TH. Follow up study about health-related quality of life in injury patients. J Korean Soc Emerg Med. 2006;17(6):637-45.
- Lee YK, Nam HS, Chuang LH, Kim KY, Yang HK, Kwon IS, Kweon SS, Kim YT. South Korean time trade-off values for EQ-5D health states: modeling with observed values for 101 health states. Value in Health. 2009;12(8):1187-93. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1524-4733.2009.00579.x
- Zakrzewska JM, Jensen TS. History of facial pain diagnosis. Cephalalgia. 2017;37(7):604-8. https://doi.org/10.1177/0333102417691045
- Lee HC, Ahn JY, Kim WO, Yoon DM. Atypical facial pain: a retrospective study. Journal of The Korean Pain Society. 2003;16(2):181-4.
- Korean Society of Oriental Neuropsychiatry. Traditional neuropsychiatry. Seoul:Jipmoon. 2005:274-6.
- Maigne R, Nieves WL. Diagnosis and treatment of pain of vertebral origin. 2nd edition. Florida:CRC Press. 2005:325-31.
- Jeon YH, Kim DY. The effect of stellate ganglion block on the atypical facial pain. J Dent Anesth Pain Med. 2015;15(1):35-7. https://doi.org/10.17245/jdapm.2015.15.1.35