- Volume 13 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
System-Level Vulnerability Analysis for Commutation Failure Mitigation in Multi-infeed HVDC Systems
- Yoon, Minhan (Department of Electrical Engineering, Tongmyong University) ;
- Jang, Gilsoo (School of Electrical Engineering, Korea University)
- Received : 2017.11.20
- Accepted : 2018.01.08
- Published : 2018.05.01
This paper deals with commutation failure of the line-commutated converter high voltage direct current (LCC HVDC) system caused by a three phase fault in the ac power system. An analytic calculation method is proposed to estimate the maximum permissible voltage drop at the LCC HVDC station on various operating point and to assess the area of vulnerability for commutation failure (AOV-CF) in the power system based on the residual phase voltage equation. The concept is extended to multi-infeed HVDC power system as the area of severity for simultaneous commutation failure (AOS-CF). In addition, this paper presents the implementation of a shunt compensator applying to the proposed method. An analysis and simulation have been performed with the IEEE 57 bus sample power system and the Jeju island power system in Korea.
Supported by : Korea Electric Power Corporation, Tongmyong University
- S. K. Chaudhary, R. Teodorescu, and P. Rodriguez, "Wind farm grid integration using VSC based HVDC transmission-an overview," in Energy 2030 Conference, ENERGY 2008. IEEE, 2008, pp. 1-7.
- B. Kahinpour, "Modelling, control and investigation of an HVDC transmission for an offshore wind farm," Master of Science Thesis, Chalmers University of Technology, 2009.
- S. M. Muyeen, R. Takahashi, and J. Tamura, "Operation and Control of HVDC-Connected Offshore Wind Farm," IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, vol. 1, pp. 30-37, Apr 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSTE.2010.2041561
- R. Nayak, R. Sasmal, Y. Sehgal, and S. Mukoo, "AC/DC interactions in multi-infeed HVDC scheme: a case study," Power India Conference, 2006 IEEE
- S. Lee, M. Yoon, A Study on the Operation Strategies of Multi-Infeed HVDC System in Jeju Island Power System, vol. 66, no. 12, pp. 1675-1681, 2017 https://doi.org/10.5370/KIEE.2017.66.12.1675
- D. L. H. Aik and G. Andersson, "Analysis of Voltage and Power Interactions in Multi-Infeed HVDC Systems," IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, vol. 28, pp. 816-824, Apr 2013.
- C.-K. Kim, V. K. Sood, G.-S. Jang, S.-J. Lim, and S.-J. Lee, HVDC transmission: power conversion applications in power systems: John Wiley & Sons, 2009.
- G. Andersson, "Commutation Failure Causes and Consequences," Cigre TB 103 SC 14 WG 14.05, 1996.
- P. Krishayya, Adapa, R, Holm, M, "IEEE guide for planning DC links terminating at AC locations having low short-circuit capacities, part I: AC/DC system interaction phenomena," IEEE Std 1204-1997, 1997.
- S. Henry, "Influence of Embedded HVDC Transmission on System Security and AC Network Performance," Cigre JWG C4/B4/C1.604, 2013.
- "IEEE Guide for the Evaluation of the Reliability of Hvdc Converter Stations," IEEE Std 1240-2000, p. i, 2001.
- A. Hansen and K. Havemann, "Decreasing the commutation failure frequency in HVDC transmission systems," IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, vol. 15, pp. 1022-1026, Jul 2000.
- L. Zhang and L. Dofnas, "A novel method to mitigate commutation failures in HVDC systems," in Proceedings of PowerCon 2002, 2002, pp. 51-56.
- J. Bauman and M. Kazerani, "Commutation failure reduction in HVDC systems using adaptive fuzzy logic controller," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 22, pp. 1995-2002, Nov 2007.
- M. Khatir, S. A. Zidi, M. K. Fellah, S. Hadjeri, and M. Flitti, "The Impact Study of a Statcom on Commutation Failures in an Hvdc Inverter Feeding a Weak Ac System," Journal of Electrical Engineering-Elektrotechnicky Casopis, vol. 63, pp. 95-102, Mar-Apr 2012.
- E. Rahimi, S. Filizadeh, and A. Gole, "Commutation Failure Analysis in HVDC Systems using Advanced Multiple-run Method," in International Conference on Power Systems Transients, 2005, pp. 19-23.
- E. Rahimi, A. Gole, J. Davies, I. Fernando, and K. Kent, "Commutation failure in single-and multi-infeed HVDC systems," in ACDC 2006, 2006.
- X. Y. Chen, A. M. Gole, and M. X. Han, "Analysis of Mixed Inverter/Rectifier Multi-Infeed HVDC Systems," IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, vol. 27, pp. 1565-1573, Jul 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2012.2187356
- C. Thio, J. Davies, K. Kent, and G. ANDERSSON, "Commutation failures in HVDC transmission systems. Discussion," IEEE transactions on power delivery, vol. 11, pp. 946-957, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1109/61.489356
- C. H. Park and G. Jang, "Stochastic estimation of voltage sags in a large meshed network," IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, vol. 22, pp. 1655-1664, Jul 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2006.886795
- C.-H. Park, J.-H. Hong, and G. Jang, "Assessment of system voltage sag performance based on the concept of area of severity," IET generation, transmission & distribution, vol. 4, pp. 683-693, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-gtd.2009.0492
- C.-H. Park and J.-H. Hong, "Calculation of the Area of Severity for Voltage Sag Assessment," The Transactions of the Korean Institute of Electrical Engineering, vol. 59, pp. 1034-1040, 2010.
- C. H. Park and G. Jang, "Systematic Method to Identify an Area of Vulnerability to Voltage Sags," IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, vol. 32, pp. 1583-1591, Nov 2016.
- K. Lee, M. Yoon, C. Park, G. Jang, "Utilization of Energy Storage System based on the Assessment of Area of Severity in Islanded Microgrid," Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 569-575, Mar 2017 https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2017.12.2.569
- S. Park, M. Yoon, A Study of the Mitigating Effect Comparison of Voltage Sags by WTG Types Based on the Concept of Area of Vulnerability, Vol. 66, No. 12, pp. 1682-1688, Dec 2017 https://doi.org/10.5370/KIEE.2017.66.12.1682
- Z. Yang, C. Shen, M. L. Crow, and L. Zhang, "An improved STATCOM model for power flow analysis," in Power Engineering Society Summer Meeting, 2000. IEEE, 2000, pp. 1121-1126.
- J.V. Milanovic and Y. Zhang. "Modeling of FACTS devices for voltage sag mitigation studies in large power systems," IEEE transactions on power delivery, vol. 25, pp. 3044-3052, 2010 https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2010.2052395
- KPX, "A Long-term view of power system operation," KPX Technical Report, pp. 251-268, 2013.