- Volume 13 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A New Constraint Handling Method for Economic Dispatch
- Li, Xueping (Key Lab of Power Electronics for Energy Conservation and Motor Drive of Hebei Province, Yanshan University) ;
- Xiao, Canwei (Key Lab of Power Electronics for Energy Conservation and Motor Drive of Hebei Province, Yanshan University) ;
- Lu, Zhigang (Key Lab of Power Electronics for Energy Conservation and Motor Drive of Hebei Province, Yanshan University)
- Received : 2017.10.04
- Accepted : 2018.01.26
- Published : 2018.05.01
For practical consideration, economic dispatch (ED) problems in power system have non-smooth cost functions with equality and inequality constraints that makes the problems complex constrained nonlinear optimization problems. This paper proposes a new constraint handling method for equality and inequality constraints which is employed to solve ED problems, where the incremental rate is employed to enhance the modification process. In order to prove the applicability of the proposed method, the study cases are tested based on the classical particle swarm optimization (PSO) and differential evolution (DE) algorithm. The proposed method is evaluated for ED problems using six different test systems: 6-, 15-, 20-, 38-, 110- and 140-generators system. Simulation results show that it can always find the satisfactory solutions while satisfying the constraints.
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China, Natural Science Foundation of Hebei Province, China Postdoctoral Science Foundation
- G. S. S. Babu, D. B. Das and C. Patvardhan, "Simulated annealing variants for solution of economic load dispatch", J. Inst. Eng. India: Electr. Eng. Div., vol. 83, no. EDC., pp. 222-229, Dec. 2002.
- K. Bhattacharjee, A. Bhattacharya, S. H. N. Dey, "Chemical reaction optimisation for different economic dispatch problems," IET Gener. Transm. Distrib., vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 530-541, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-gtd.2013.0122
- R. E. Perez-Guerrero, J. R. Cedeno-Maldonado, "Economic power dispatch with non-smooth cost functions using differential evolution," Proc. of the 37th Annual North American Power Symposium, pp. 183-190, Oct. 2005.
- I. Erlich, G. K Venayagamoorthy, N Worawat, "A mean-variance optimization algorithm," IEEE World Congr. Comput. Intell., pp. 344-349, July. 2010.
- Z. L. Gaing, "Particle swarm optimization to solving the economic dispatch considering generator constraints," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 1187-1195, Aug. 2003.
- A. Bhattacharya, P. K. Chattopadhyay, "Biogeography-based optimization for different economic load dispatch problems," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 1064-1077, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2009.2034525
- B. Das, T. K. Sengupta, "Economic load dispatch using PSO and TLBO," Proc. Michael Faraday IET Int. Summit, Kolkata, India, pp. 212-219, Sept. 2015.
- S. Hemamalini, S. Simon, "Artificial bee colony algorithm for economic load dispatch problem with non-smooth cost functions," Electric Machines & Power Systems, vol. 38, no. 7, pp. 786-803, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1080/15325000903489710
- B. Saravanan, E. R. Vasudevan, D. P. Kothari, "Unit commitment problem solution using invasive weed optimization algorithm," Int. J. Electr. Power Energy Syst., vol. 55, pp. 344-349, 2015.
- K. T. Chaturvedi, M. Pandit, L. Srivastava, "Particle swarm optimization with time varying acceleration coefficients for non-convex economic power dispatch," Electrical Power and Energy Systems, vol. 31, pp. 249-257, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2009.01.010
- A. I. Selvakumar, K. Thanushkodi, "Anti-predatory particle swarm optimization: Solution to nonconvex economic dispatch problems," Electric Power Systems, vol. 78, pp. 2-10, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsr.2006.12.001
- L. Tawfak A. Bahrani, J. C. Patra, "Orthogonal PSO algorithm for economic dispatch of thermal generating units under various power constraints in smart power grid," Applied Soft Computing, vol. 58, pp. 401-426, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.asoc.2017.04.059
- J. Sun, V. Palade, X. Wu, "Solving the Power Economic Dispatch Problem With Generator Constraints by Random Drift Particle Swarm Optimization," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 222-232, Feb. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TII.2013.2267392
- T. Niknam, H. D. Mojarrad, H. Z. Meymand, "Non-smooth economic dispatch computation by fuzzy and self adaptive particle swarm optimization," Applied Soft Computing, vol. 11, pp. 2805-2817, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.asoc.2010.11.010
- S. Khamsawang, S. Jiriwibhakorn, "DSPSO-TSA for economic dispatch problem with nonsmooth and noncontinuous cost functions," Energy Conversion and Management, vol. 51, pp. 365-375, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2009.09.034
- R. P. Parouha, K. N. Das,"A memory based differential evolution algorithm for unconstrained optimization," Appl. Soft Comput., vol. 38, pp. 501-517, Jan. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.asoc.2015.10.022
- J. Brest, S. Greiner, B. Boskovic, M Mernik, V Zumer. "Self-adapting control parameters in differential evolution: a comparative study on numerical benchmark problems," IEEE Trans Evol Comput., vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 646-657, Dec. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEVC.2006.872133
- G. Wang, G. Q. Chen, F. Z. Bai, "Modeling and identification of asymmetric Bouc-Wen hysteresis for piezoelectric actuator via a novel differential evolution algorithm," Sensor Actuator A: Phys., vol. 235, pp. 105-118, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sna.2015.09.043
- D. Zou, S. Li, G. G. Wang, Z. Li, H. Ouyang, "An improved differential evolution algorithm for the economic load dispatch problems with or without valve-point effects," Appl. Energy, vol. 181, pp. 375-390, Nov. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2016.08.067
- A. Bhattacharya, P. K. Chattopadhyay, "Hybrid Differential Evolution with Biogeography-Based Optimization for Solution of Economic Load Dispatch," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 1955-1964, Mar. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2010.2043270
- G. J. Xiong, D. Y. Shi, X. Z. Duan, "Multi-strategy ensemble biogeography-based optimization for economic dispatch problems," Appl. Energy, vol. 111, pp. 801-811, Nov. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2013.04.095
- A. Bhattacharya, P. Chattopadhyay, "Solution of economic power dispatch problems using opposetional biogeography-based optimization," Electric Machines & Power Systems, vol. 38, pp. 1139-1160, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1080/15325001003652934
- K. K. Vshwakarma, H. M. Dubey, "Simulated annealing based optimization for solving large scale economic load dispatch problems," Int. J. Eng. Res. Technol., vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 1-8, May. 2012. https://doi.org/10.15623/ijret.2012.0101001
- K. Bhattacharjee, A. Bhattacharya, S. H. Dey, "Oppositional real coded chemical reaction optimization for different economic dispatch problems," Int. J. Electr. Power Energy Syst., vol. 55, pp. 378-391, Feb. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2013.09.033
- A. K. Barisal, R. C. Prusty, "Large scale economic dispatch of power systems using oppositional invasive weed optimization," Applied Soft Computing, vol. 29, pp. 122-137, Apr. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.asoc.2014.12.014
- J. K. Min, H. Y. Song, J. B. Park, etc., "An improved mean-variance optimization for nonconvex economic dispatch problems," J. Electr. Eng. Technol., vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 80-89, Jan. 2013. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2013.8.1.080
K. H. Truong, P. Vasant, S. Balbir and N. V. Dieu, "Solving economic dispatch by using swarm based mean-variance mapping optimization(
$MVMO^S$)," Global J. Technol. Optim., vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 1-8, Jul. 2015.
- S. Ozyon, D. Aydin, "Incremental artificial bee colony with local search to economic dispatch problem with ramp rate limits and prohibited operating zones," Energy Conversion and Management, vol. 65, pp. 397-407, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2012.07.005
- A. Homaifar, S.H.Y. Lai, X. Qi, "Constrained optimization via genetic algorithms," Simulation, vol. 62, no. 4, pp. 242-254, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1177/003754979406200405
- K. E. Parsopoulos, M. N. Vrahatis, "Particle swarm optimization method for constrained optimization problems," Intelligent Technologies-Theory and Applications: New Trends in Intelligent Technologies, vol. 76, pp. 214-220, 2002.
- J. Paredis, "Co-evolutionary constraint satisfaction," Proceeding of the 3rd Conference on Parallel Problem Solving from Nature, pp. 46-55, Oct. 1994.
- X. Liu, "On compact formulation of constraints induced by disjoint Prohibited-Zones," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 2004-2005, Nov. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2010.2045928
- J. B. Park, Y. W. Jeong, J. R. Shin, and K. Y. Lee, "An improved particle swarm optimization for non-convex economic dispatch problems," IEEE Trans. on Power Syst., vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 156-166, Feb.2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2009.2030293
- N. Sinha, R. Chakrabarti, PK. Chattopadhyay, "Evolutionary programming techniques for economic load dispatch," IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 83-94, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEVC.2002.806788
- G. T. Pulido, C. C. Coello, "A constraint-handling mechanism for particle swarm optimization," Proc. of the 2004 IEEE Cong. on Evolutionary Computation, pp. 1396-1403, 2004.
- J. Kennedy, R. Eberhart, "Particle swarm optimization," Proc. of the IEEE International Conference on Neural Networks, vol. 4, pp. 1942-1948, Nov. 1995.
- R. Storn, K. Price, "Differential evolution: a simple and efficient adaptive scheme for global optimization over continuous spaces," TR-95-012, ICSI, Mar. 1995.
- Ubaidullah; Shoab Ahmed Khan, "Accelerating MATLAB Slow Loop Execution With CUDA," 7th International Conference on Emerging Technologies, pp. 1-4, 2011.