- Volume 13 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Lifetime Management Method of Lithium-ion battery for Energy Storage System
- Won, Il-Kuen (Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Sungkyunkwan University) ;
- Choo, Kyoung-Min (Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Sungkyunkwan University) ;
- Lee, Soon-Ryung (Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Sungkyunkwan University) ;
- Lee, Jung-Hyo (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Kunsan University) ;
- Won, Chung-Yuen (Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Sungkyunkwan University)
- Received : 2017.03.01
- Accepted : 2017.12.14
- Published : 2018.05.01
The lifetime of a lithium-ion battery is one of the most important issues of the energy storage system (ESS) because of its stable and reliable operation. In this paper, the lifetime management method of the lithium-ion battery for energy storage system is proposed. The lifetime of the lithium-ion battery varies, depending on the power usage, operation condition, and, especially the selected depth of discharge (DOD). The proposed method estimates the total lifetime of the lithium-ion battery by calculating the total transferable energy corresponding to the selected DOD and achievable cycle (ACC) data. It is also demonstrated that the battery model can obtain state of charge (SOC) corresponding to the ESS operation simultaneously. The simulation results are presented performing the proposed lifetime management method. Also, the total revenue and entire lifetime prediction of a lithium-ion battery of ESS are presented considering the DOD, operation and various condition for the nations of USA and Korea using the proposed method.
Supported by : Korea Institute of Energy Technology Evaluation and Planning (KETEP), Ministry of Trade, Industry & Energy(MOTIE)
- P. C. Loh, D. Li, Y. K. Chai, and F. Blaabjerg, "Hybrid AC-DC microgrids with energy storages and progressive energy flow tuning," IEEE Transaction on Power Electronics., vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 1533-1543, Apr. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2210445
- S. Huang, B. Huang, and F. Pai, "Fast charge strategy based on the characterization and evaluation of LiFePO4 batteries," IEEE Transaction on Power Electronics, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 1555-1562, Apr. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2209184
- Theodore Soong, Peter W. Lehn, "Evaluation of Emerging Modular Multilevel Converters for BESS Applications," IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, vol. 29, pp. 2086-2094, Oct. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2014.2341181
- Matthew T. Lawder, Bharatkumar Suthar, Paul W. C. Northrop, Sumitava De, C. Michael Hoff, Olivia Leitermann, Mariesa L. Crow, Shriram Santhanagopalan, Venkat R. Subramanian, "Battery Energy Storage System (BESS) and Battery Management System (BMS) for Grid-Scale Applications," Proceedings of the IEEE, vol. 102, pp. 1014-1030, June 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/JPROC.2014.2317451
- Yang Zhang, Herbert Ho-Ching Iu, Tyrone Fernando, Fang Yao, Kianoush Emami, "Cooperative Dispatch of BESS and Wind Power Generation Considering Carbon Emission Limitation in Australia," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, vol. 11, pp. 1313-1323, Dec. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TII.2015.2479577
- Raymond H. Byrne, C'esar A and Silva-Monroy, "Estimating the Maximum Potential Revenue for Grid Connected Electricity Storage: Arbitrage and Regulation," Sandia National Laboratories, 2012.
- Xiaolei Hu, K. J. Tseng, Yitao Liu, Shan Yin, Mengqi Zhang, "A high frequency isolated current-fed bidirectional DC/AC converter for grid-tied energy storage system," ECCE Asia, pp. 291-296, 2013.
- Nagisa Takaoka, Jun-ichi Itoh, "Battery Energy Storage System with Isolated Single-phase Matrix Converter using Center-tapped Transformer for Power Decoupling Capability," 2015 International Conference on Renewable Energy Research and Applications, pp. 1021-1026, Nov. 2015.
- Nadia Mei Lin Tan, Takahiro Abe, Hirofumi Akagi, "Design and Performance of a Bidirectional Isolated DC-DC Converter for a Battery Energy Storage System," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 27, pp. 1237-1248, Mar. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2108317
- Y. -C. Hsieh, C. -S. Huang, "Li-ion battery charger based on digitally controlled phase-shifted full-bridge converter," IET Power Electronics, vol. 4, pp. 242- 247, Feb. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2009.0206
- Hao Qian, Jianhui Zhang, Jih-Sheng Lai and Wensong Yu, "A High-Efficiency Grid-Tie Battery Energy Storage System," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 26, pp. 886-896, Mar. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2010.2096562
- Hossein Farzin, Mahmud Fotuhi-Firuzabad, Moein Moeini-Aghtaie, "A Practical Scheme to Involve Degradation Cost of Lithium-Ion Batteries in Vehicle-to-Grid Applications," IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, vol. 7, pp. 1730-1738, Oct. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSTE.2016.2558500
- Mustafa Farhadi, Osama Mohammed, "Energy Storage Technologies for High-Power Applications," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, vol. 52, pp. 1953-1961, June 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2015.2511096
- T. Guena, P. Leblanc "How Depth of Discharge Affects the Cycle life of lithium-Metal-Polymer Batteries," INTLEC. 2006, pp 1-8, Sept. 2006.
- Sekyung Han, Soohee Han, Hirohisa Aki, "A practical battery wear model for electric vehicle charging applications," Applied Energy, vol. 113, pp. 110-1108, Jan. 2014
- K.-C. Bae, S.-C. Choi, J.-H. Kim, Y.-C. Jung and C.-Y. Won, "LiFePO4 Dynamic Battery Modeling for Battery Simulator," IEEE International Conference on Industrial Technology (ICIT), pp. 354-358, Feb. 2014.
- S. Bhide and T. H. Shim, "Novel predictive electric Li-ion battery model incorporating thermal and rate factor effects," IEEE Trans. Vehicular Tech., vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 819-829, Mar. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TVT.2010.2103333
- M. Einhorn, F.V. Conte, C. Kral and J. Fleig, "Comparison, selection, and parameterization of electrical battery models for automotive applications," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 1429-1437, Mar. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2210564
- L. Lam and P. Bauer, "Practical capacity fading model for Li-ion battery cells in electric vehicles," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 28, no. 12, pp. 5910-5918, Dec. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2235083
- M. Duerr, A. Cruden, S. Gair and J.R. McDonald, "Dynamic model of a lead-acid battery for use in a domestic fuel cell system," Journal of Power Sources, vol. 161, no. 2, pp. 1400-1411, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2005.12.075
- O. Tremblay, L.-. Dessaint and A.-. Dekkiche, "A Generic Battery Model for the Dynamic Simulation of Hybrid Electric Vehicles," in Proc. IEEE Vehicle Power Propulsion Conf., 2007. VPPC 2007. IEEE, 2007, pp. 284-289, Sept. 2007.
- J. S. Lee, J. J. Kim, M. R. Park, I. J. Park, "Electric Model of Li-Ion Polymer Battery for Motor Driving Circuit in Hybrid Electric Vehicle," Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology., vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 932-939, Nov. 2012. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2012.7.6.932
- Yan Ji, Yancheng Zhang, and Chao-Yang Wang, "Li-Ion Cell Operation at Low Temperatures," J. Electrochem. soc. 2013, vol. 160, no. 4, pp. 636-649, Feb. 2013.
- Jiang Fan, and Steven Tan, "Studies on Charging Lithium-Ion Cells at Low Temperatures," J. Electrochem. soc. 2006, vol. 153, no. 6, pp. 1081-1092, April 2013. https://doi.org/10.1149/1.2190029
- M. C. Smart, B. V. Ratnakumar, C. -K. Huang, and S. Surampudi, "Performance Characteristics of Lithium Ion Cells For Low Temperature Applications," Jet Propulsion Laboratory California Institute of Technology, 1998.
- Il-Kuen Won, Do-Yun Kim, Jun-Ha Hwang, Jung-Hyo Lee, Chung-Yuen Won, "Lifetime management method of Lithium-ion battery for energy storage system," Electrical Machines and Systems (ICEMS), 2015 18th International Conference on, Oct, 2015.