- Volume 13 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Common-mode Voltage Reduction for Inverters Connected in Parallel Using an MPC Method with Subdivided Voltage Vectors
- Park, Joon Young (Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Ajou University) ;
- Sin, Jiook (LS mecapion) ;
- Bak, Yeongsu (Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Ajou University) ;
- Park, Sung-Min (Dept. of Electronic and Electrical Engineering, Hongik University) ;
- Lee, Kyo-Beum (Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Ajou University)
- Received : 2017.06.17
- Accepted : 2017.12.18
- Published : 2018.05.01
This paper presents a model predictive control (MPC) method to reduce the common-mode voltage (CMV) for inverters connected in parallel, which increase the capacity of energy storage systems (ESSs). The proposed method is based on subdivided voltage vectors, and the resulting algorithm can be applied to control the inverters. Furthermore, we use more voltage vectors than the conventional MPC algorithm; consequently, the quality of grid currents is improved. Several methods were proposed in order to reduce the CMV appearing during operation and its adverse effects. However, those methods have shown to increase the total harmonic distortion of the grid currents. Our method, however, aims to both avoid this drawback and effectively reduce the CMV. By employing phase difference in the carrier signals to control each inverter, we successfully reduced the CMV for inverters connected in parallel, thus outperforming similar methods. In fact, the validity of the proposed method was verified by simulations and experimental results.
Supported by : Korea Institute of Energy Technology Evaluation and Planning (KETEP), Ministry of Trade, Industry & Energy (MOTIE)
- J.-S. Lee and K.-B. Lee, "New Modulation Techniques for a Leakage Current Reduction and a Neutral-Point Voltage Balance in Transformerless Photovoltaic Systems Using a Three-Level Inverter," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 1720-1732, Apr. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2264954
- F. Blaabjerg, R. Teodorescu, M. Liserre, and A. V. Timbus, "Overview of Control and Grid Synchronization for Distributed Power Generation Systems," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 53, no. 5, pp. 1398-1409, Oct. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2006.881997
- S.-W. Hyun, S.-J. Hong, J.-H. Lee, C.-B. Lee, and C.-Y. Won, "A Method to Compensate the Distorted Space Vectors in the Unbalanced Neutral Point Voltage of 3-level NPC PWM Inverters," Journal of Power Electronics, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 455-463, Mar. 2016. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2016.16.2.455
- U.-M. Choi and K.-B. Lee, "Neutral-Point Voltage Balancing Method for Three-Level Inverter Systems with a Time-Offset Estimation Scheme," Journal of Power Electronics, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 243-249, Mar. 2013. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2013.13.2.243
- J.-S. Lee and K.-B. Lee, "Tolerance Control for the Inner Open-Switch Faults of a T-Type Three-Level Rectifier," Journal of Power Electronics, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 1157-1165, Nov. 2014. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2014.14.6.1157
- J.-S. Park and F.-S. Kang, "Five-Level PWM Inverter Using Series and Parallel Alternative Connection of Batteries," Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 701-710, Mar. 2017. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2017.12.2.701
- S.-C. Shin, H.-J. Lee, Y.-H. Kim, J.-H. Lee, T. K. Lee, and C.-Y. Won, "Power Control Method for Reducing Circulating Current in Parallel Operation of DC Distribution System," Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 1212-1220, Sep. 2013. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2013.8.5.1212
- Z. Guowei, W. Tongzhen, H. Shengli, and K. Lingzhi, "The Control for Grid Connected Inverter of Distributed Generation under Unbalanced Grid Voltage," in Proc. SUPERGEN Conf., pp. 1-5, 2009.
- J.-S. Lee and K.-B. Lee, "Time-Offset Injection Method for Neutral-Point AC Ripple Voltage Reduction in a Three-Level Inverter," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 1931-1941, Mar. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2015.2439689
- M.-G. Jeong, H. U. Shin, J.-W. Baek, and K.-B. Lee, "An Interleaving Scheme for DC-link Current Ripple Reduction in Parallel-Connected Generator Systems," Journal of Power Electronics, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 1004-1013, Jul. 2017. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2017.17.4.1004
- J.-K. Kim, J.-H. Lee, H.-G. Jeong, and K.-B. Lee, "Improvement of Grid-Connected Inverter Systems with PR Controllers under the Unbalanced and Distorted Grid Voltage," in Proc. IPEMC Conf., pp. 1183-1187, 2012.
- Y. Zhang, J. Liu, and C. Zhang, "Comparison of Traditional Two-Stage Buck-Boost Voltage Source Inverter and Diode-Assisted Buck-Boost Voltage Source Inverter," in Proc. APEC Conf., pp. 141-148, 2012.
- W. J. Choi, E. Lee, and K.-B. Lee, "A Novel MPC-SVM Strategy for Direct Torque Flux Control of an Induction Motor Drive System Using a Matrix Converter," in Proc. ICIT Conf., pp, 181-186. 2014.
- J.-C. Park, C.-B. Park, J.-H. Baek, and S.-S. Kwak, "Optimal Zero Vector Selecting Method to Reduce Switching Loss on Model Predictive Control of VSI," The Trans. Korean Institute of Power Electron., vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 273-279, Jun. 2015. https://doi.org/10.6113/TKPE.2015.20.3.273
- R. Sultana and S. K. Sahoo, "Finite Control Set Model Predictive Current Control for a Cascaded Multilevel Inverter," Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 1674-1683, Nov. 2016. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2016.11.6.1674
- I.-G. Kim and S.-S. Kwak, "An Algorithm for Even Distribution of Loss, Switching Frequency, Power of Model Predictive Control Based Cascaded H-bridge Multilevel Converter," The Trans. Korean Institute of Power Electron., vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 448-455, Oct. 2015. https://doi.org/10.6113/TKPE.2015.20.5.448
- Y. Cho and K.-B. Lee, "Virtual-Flux-Based Predictive Direct Power Control of Three-Phase PWM Rectifiers With Fast Dynamic Response," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 3348-3359, Apr. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2015.2453129
- J.-S. Lee and K.-B. Lee, "Predictive Control of Vienna Rectifiers for PMSG Systems," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 64, no. 4, pp. 2580-2591, Apr. 2017. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2016.2644599
- A. A. Ahmed, B. K. Koh, H. S. Park, K.-B. Lee, and Y. I. Lee, "Finite-Control Set Model Predictive Control Method for Torque Control of Induction Motors Using a State Tracking Cost Index," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 64, no. 3, pp. 1916-1928, Mar. 2017. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2016.2631456
- Z. Gong, P. Dai, X. Wu, F. Deng, D. Liu, and Z. Chen, "A Hierarchical Model Predictive Voltage Control for NPC/H-Bridge Converters with a Reduced Computational Burden," Journal of Power Electronics, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 136-148, Jan. 2017. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2017.17.1.136
- B. Feng and H. Lin, "Finite Control Set Model Predictive Control of AC/DC Matrix Converter for Grid-Connected Battery Energy Storage Application," Journal of Power Electronics, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 1006-1017, Jul. 2015. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2015.15.4.1006
- H.-C. Moon, J.-S. Lee, J.-H. Lee, and K.-B. Lee, "Space Vector Modulation based on Model Predictive Control to Reduce Current Ripples with Subdivided Space Voltage Vectors," The Trans. Korean Institute of Power Electron., vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 18-26, Feb. 2017. https://doi.org/10.6113/TKPE.2017.22.1.18
- H.-C. Moon, J.-S. Lee, J.-H. Lee, and K.-B. Lee, "Model Predictive Control of a Grid-Connected Inverter to Reduce Current Ripples and Computation Loads," in Proc. APEC Conf., pp. 1097-1102, 2017.
- Y.-M. Yang, H.-M. Peng, and Q.-D. Wang, "Common Model EMI Prediction in Motor Drive System for Electric Vehicle Application," Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 205-215, Jan. 2015. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2015.10.1.205
- K.-S. Ahn, N.-S. Choi, E.-C. Lee, and H.-J. Kim, "A Study on a Carrier Based PWM having Constant Common Mode Voltage and Minimized Switching Frequency in Three-Level Inverter," Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 393-404, Mar. 2016. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2016.11.2.393
- S. Kahng, J. Lee, K.-T. Kim, and H.-S. Kim, "Metamaterial CRLH Structure-based Balun for Common-Mode Current Indicator," Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 301-306, Jan. 2014. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2014.9.1.301
- D. Zhang, F. Wang, R. Burgos, R. Lai, and D. Boroyevich, "Impact of Interleaving on AC Passive Components of Paralleled Three-Phase Voltage-Source Converters," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 1042-1054, May/Jun. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2010.2045336
- Y.-S. Lai, P.-S. Chen, H.-K. Lee, and J. Chou, "Optimal Common-Mode Voltage Reduction PWM Technique for Inverter Control With Consideration of the Dead-Time Effects - Part II: Applications to IM Drives With Diode Front End," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., vol. 40, no. 6, pp. 1613-1620, Nov./Dec. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2004.836151
- J.-W. Shin, H. Shin, G.-S. Seo, J.-I. Ha, and B.-H. Cho, "Low-Common Mode Voltage H-Bridge Converter with Additional Switch Legs," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 1773-1782, Apr. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2213844
- M. M. Renge and H. M. Suryawanshi, "Multilevel Inverter to Reduce Common Mode Voltage in AC Motor Drives Using SPWM Technique," Journal of Power Electronics, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 21-27, Jan. 2011. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2011.11.1.021
- J. Rodriquez, J. Pontt, C. A. Silva, P. Correa, P. Lezana, P. Cortes, and U. Ammann, "Predictive Current Control of a Voltage Source Inverter," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 495-503, Feb. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2006.888802
- G. Du, Z. Liu, F. Du, and J. Li, "Performance Improvement of Model Predictive Control Using Control Error Compensation for Power Electronic Converters Based on the Lyapunov Function," Journal of Power Electronics, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 983-990, Jul. 2017. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2017.17.4.983
- A. Bakeer, M. A. Ismeil, and M. Orabi, "Modified Finite Control Set-Model Predictive Controller (MFCS-MPC) for quasi Z-Source Inverters based on a Current Observer," Journal of Power Electronics, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 610-620, May 2017. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2017.17.3.610
- Y. Wang, X. Wang, W. Xie, F. Wang, M. Dou, R. M. Kennel, R. D. Lorenz, and D. Gerling, "Deadbeat Model-Predictive Torque Control With Discrete Space-Vector Modulation for PMSM Drives," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 64, no. 5, pp. 3537-3547, May 2017. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2017.2652338
- S. M. Ali, V. V. Reddy, and M. S. Kalavathi, "Simplified Active Zero State PWM Algorithms for Vector Controlled Induction Motor Drives for Reduced Common Mode Voltage," in Proc. ICRAIE Conf., pp. 1-7, 2014.
- Y.-S. Lai and F.-S. Shyu, "Optimal Common-Mode Voltage Reduction PWM Technique for Inverter Control With Consideration of the Dead-Time Effects - Part I: Basic Development," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., vol. 40, no. 6, pp. 1605-1612, Nov./Dec. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2004.836149
- R. M. Tallam, R. J. Kerkman, D. Leggate, and R. A. Lukaszewski, "Common-Mode Voltage Reduction PWM Algorithm for AC Drives," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., vol. 46, no. 5, pp. 1959-1969, Sep./Oct. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2010.2057396
- M. J. Duran, J. A. Riveros, F. Barrero, H. Guzman, and J. Prieto, "Reduction of Common-Mode Voltage in Five-Phase Induction Motor Drives Using Predictive Control Techniques," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., vol. 48, no. 6, pp. 2059-2067, Nov./Dec. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2012.2226221
- R. Vargas, U. Ammann, J. Rodriguez, and J. Pontt, "Predictive Strategy to Control Common-Mode Voltage in Loads Fed by Matrix Converters," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 55, no. 12, pp. 4372-4380, Dec. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2008.2007016
- P. Cortes, S. Kouro, B. L. Rocca, R. Vargas, J. Rodriguez, J. I. Leon, S. Vazquez, and L. G. Franquelo, "Guidelines for Weighting Factors Design in Model Predictive Control of Power Converters and Drives," in Proc. ICIT Conf., pp. 1-7, 2009.