- Volume 13 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Model Predictive Control of Circulating Current Suppression in Parallel-Connected Inverter-fed Motor Drive Systems
- Kang, Shin-Won (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Hanyang University) ;
- Soh, Jae-Hwan (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Hanyang University) ;
- Kim, Rae-Young (Dept. of Electrical and Biomedical Engineering, Hanyang University)
- Received : 2017.09.20
- Accepted : 2018.01.16
- Published : 2018.05.01
Parallel three-phase voltage source inverters in a direct connection configuration are widely used to increase system power ratings. A zero-sequence circulating current can be generated according to the switching method; however, the zero-sequence circulating current not only distorts current, but also reduces the system reliability and efficiency. In this paper, a model predictive control scheme is proposed for parallel inverters to drive an interior permanent magnet synchronous motor with zero-sequence circulating current suppression. The voltage vector of the parallel inverters is derived to predict and control the torque and stator flux components. In addition, the zero-sequence circulating current is suppressed by designing the cost function without an additional current sensor and high-impedance inductor. Simulation and experimental results are presented to verify the proposed control scheme.
Grant : Human Resources Program in Energy Technology
Supported by : Korea Institute of Energy Technology Evaluation and Planning (KETEP)
- S. Ogasawara, J. Takagaki, H. Akagi and A. Nabae, "A novel control scheme of a parallel current-controlled PWM inverter," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, vol. 28, pp. 1023-1030, September/October 1992. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.158825
- Y. Komatsuzaki, "Cross current control for parallel operating three phase inverter," Power Electronics Specialists Conference, PESC '94 Record., 25th Annual IEEE, vol. 2, pp. 943-950, June 1994.
- Y. Sato and T. Kataoka, "Simplified control strategy to improve AC input-current waveform of parallel-connected current-type PWM rectifiers," IEE Proceedings - Electric Power Applications, vol. 142, pp. 246-254, July 1995. https://doi.org/10.1049/ip-epa:19951809
- Zhihong, Ye, D. Boroyevich, Jae-Young, Choi and F. C. Lee, "Control of circulating current in two parallel three-phase boost rectifiers," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 17, pp. 609-615, September 2002.
- F. Wang, Y. Wang, Q. Gao, C. Wang and Y. Liu, "A Control Strategy for Suppressing Circulating Currents in Parallel-Connected PMSM Drives with Individual DC Links," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 31, pp. 1680-1691, February 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2015.2422791
- Z. Zhang, A. Chen, X. Xing and C. Zhang, "A novel model predictive control algorithm to suppress the zero-sequence circulating currents for parallel three-phase voltage source inverters," 2016 IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition (APEC), pp. 3465-3470, March 2016.
- Tsung-Po Chen, "Dual-Modulator Compensation Technique for Parallel Inverters Using Space-Vector Modulation," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 56, pp. 3004-3012, August 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2009.2022515
- B.M.H. Jassim, D.J. Atkinson, B. Zahawi, "Modular Current Sharing Control Scheme for Parallel-Connected Converters," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 62, pp. 887-897, February 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2014.2355813
- B. Wei, J. M. Guerrero, J. C. Vasquez, X. Guo, "A Circulating-Current Suppression Method for Parallel-Connected Voltage-Source Inverters With Common DC and AC Buses," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Applications, vol. 53, pp. 3758-3769, July/August 2017. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2017.2681620
- P. Cortes, M. P. Kazmierkowski, R. M. Kennel, D. E. Quevedo and J. Rodriguez, "Predictive Control in Power Electronics and Drives," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 55, pp. 4312-4324, December 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2008.2007480
- Esteban J. Fuentes, Jose Rodriguez, Cesar Silva, Sergio Diaz, Daniel E. Quevedo, "Speed control of a permanent magnet synchronous motor using predictive current control," Power Electronics and Motion Control Conference, 2009. IPEMC '09. IEEE 6th International, pp. 390-395, May 2009.
- S. Vazquez, J. Rodriguez, M. Rivera, L. G. Franquelo and M. Norambuena, "Model Predictive Control for Power Converters and Drives: Advances and Trends," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 64, pp. 935-947, February 2017. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2016.2625238
- G. A. Papafotiou, G. D. Demetriades and V. G. Agelidis, "Technology Readiness Assessment of Model Predictive Control in Medium- and High-Voltage Power Electronics," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 63, pp. 5807-5815, September 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2016.2521350
- C. Bordons and C.Montero, "Basic principles of MPC for power converters: Bridging the gap between theory and practice," IEEE Ind. Electron. Mag., vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 31-43, Sep. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/MIE.2014.2356600
- S. Vazquez et al., "Model predictive control: A review of its applications in power electronics," IEEE Ind. Electron. Mag., vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 16-31, Mar. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/MIE.2013.2290138
- P. Karamanakos, T. Geyer, N. Oikonomou, F. D. Kieferndorf, and S. Manias, "Direct model predictive control: A review of strategies that achieve long prediction intervals for power electronics," IEEE Ind. Electron. Mag., vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 32-43, Mar. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/MIE.2013.2290474
- J. Rodriguez et al., "State of the art of finite control set model predictive control in power electronics," IEEE Trans. Ind. Informat., vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 1003-1016, May 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TII.2012.2221469