- Volume 13 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Comparison of the Characteristics in the Surface Mounted Permanent Magnet and Flux Concentrating Coaxial Magnetic Gears Having the Solid Cores
- Shin, Ho-Min (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Dong-A University) ;
- Chang, Jung-Hwan (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Dong-A University)
- Received : 2017.07.18
- Accepted : 2018.01.26
- Published : 2018.05.01
The coaxial magnetic gear with the flux concentrating structure is known that it has the torque performance advantage over the coaxial magnetic gear having surface mounted permanent magnet, thanks to the flux focusing effect. But, if the solid cores are used in the modulating pieces and rotor cores to consider the mechanical reliability and cost reduction, the operating torque of the flux concentrating coaxial magnetic gear can be significantly diminished because the iron losses at the solid cores affect the actual transmitted torque. Furthermore, the modulating pieces and rotor cores have different characteristics of the iron losses from one another, because the space harmonic components of the magnetic flux density, which cause the iron losses, are different. Thus, in this paper, we focused on the analysis of the characteristics of the space harmonic components of the magnetic flux density and resultant eddy current losses in the surface mounted PM and flux concentrating coaxial magnetic gears, when these coaxial magnetic gears have the solid cores at the modulating pieces and rotor cores. The characteristics of pull-out torque (static torque), operating torque (dynamic torque), and efficiency are also researched, and compared by the 3D finite element analysis (FEA) and experiment.
Supported by : Korea Institute of Energy Technology Evaluation and Planning (KETEP), National Research Foundation (NRF)
- L. Shah, A. Cruden, and B. W. Williams, "A magnetic gear box for application with a contra-rotating tidal turbine," in Proc. of PEDS, pp. 989-993, Apr. 2007.
- K. K. Uppalapati, J. Z. Bird, D. Jia, J. Garner, and A. Zhou, "Performance of a magnetic gear using ferrite magnets for low speed ocean power generation," in Proc. of ECCE, pp. 3348-3355, Nov. 2012.
- K. K. Uppalapati, J. Z. Bird, J. Wright, J. Pitchard, M. Calvin, and W. Williams "A magnetic gearbox with an active region torque density of 239Nm/L," in Proc. of ECCE, pp. 1422-1428, Sept. 2014.
- K. K. Uppalapati, J. Z. Bird, and J. Wright, "Experimental evaluation of low-speed flux-focusing magnetic gearboxes," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., vol. 50, no. 6, pp. 3637-3643, Mar. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2014.2312551
- K. Atallatuh, S. D. Calverley, and D. Howe "Design, analysis and realization of a high-performance magnetic gear," IEE Proc. of Electr. Power Appl., vol. 151, no. 2, pp. 135-143, Mar. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1049/ip-epa:20040224
- P. O. Rasmussen, T. O. Andersen, F.T. Joergensen, and O. Nielsen "Development of a high performance magnetic gear," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 764-770, May. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2005.847319
- X. Li, K. T. Chau, M. Cheng, W. Hua, and Y. Du, "An improved coaxial magnetic gear using flux focusing," in Proc. of ICEMS, Aug. 2011.
- K. Uppalapati and J. Bird "A flux focusing ferrite magnetic gear," in Proc. of PEMD, Mar. 2012.
- X. Li, K. T. Chau, M. Cheng, W. Hua, and Y. Du, "A new coaxial magnetic gear using stationary permanent magnet ring," in Proc. of ICEMS, pp. 634-638, Oct. 2013.
- S. Peng, W. N. Fu, and S. L. Ho, "A novel high torque-density triple-permanent-magnet-excited magnetic gear," IEEE Trans. Magn., vol. 50, no. 11, Nov. 2014.
- Y. Chen, W. N. Fu, and W. Li, "Performance analysis of a novel triple-permanent-magnet-excited magnetic gear and its design method," IEEE Trans. Magn., vol. 52, no. 7, Jul. 2016.
- H. M. Shin and J. H. Chang, "Design of coaxial magnetic gear for improvement of torque characteristics," KMS Journal of magnetics, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 393-398, Dec. 2014. https://doi.org/10.4283/JMAG.2014.19.4.393
- L. Jian, K. T. Chau, Y. Gong, J. Z. Jiang, C. Yu, and W. Li, "Comparison of coaxial magnetic gears with different topologies," IEEE Trans. Magn., vol. 45, no. 10, pp. 4526-4529, Oct. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2009.2021662
- M. Fukuoka, K. Nakamura, and O. Ichinokura, "Loss analysis and performance improvement of trial SPM type magnetic gear," in Proc. of EPE, Sept. 2013.
- K. Nakamura, M. Fukuoka, and O. Ichinokura, "Performance improvement of magnetic gear and efficiency comparison with conventional mechanical gear," J. Appl. Phys., vol. 115, no. 17, Apr. 2014.
- M. Johnson, A. Shapoury, P. Boghrat, M. Post, and H. A. Toliyat, "Analysis and development of an axial flux magnetic gear," in Proc. of ECCE, pp. 5893-5900, Sept. 2014.