- Volume 13 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Numerical Approach for Lightning Impulse Flashover Voltage Prediction of Typical Air Gaps
- Qiu, Zhibin (School of Electrical Engineering, Wuhan University) ;
- Ruan, Jiangjun (School of Electrical Engineering, Wuhan University) ;
- Huang, Congpeng (School of Electrical Engineering, Wuhan University) ;
- Xu, Wenjie (School of Electrical Engineering, Wuhan University) ;
- Huang, Daochun (School of Electrical Engineering, Wuhan University)
- Received : 2017.06.12
- Accepted : 2018.01.07
- Published : 2018.05.01
This paper proposes a numerical approach to predict the critical flashover voltages of air gaps under lightning impulses. For an air gap, the impulse voltage waveform features and electric field features are defined to characterize its energy storage status before the initiation of breakdown. These features are taken as the input parameters of the predictive model established by support vector machine (SVM). Given an applied voltage range, the golden section search method is used to compute the prediction results efficiently. This method was applied to predict the critical flashover voltages of rod-rod, rod-plane and sphere-plane gaps over a wide range of gap lengths and impulse voltage waveshapes. The predicted results coincide well with the experimental data, with the same trends and acceptable errors. The mean absolute percentage errors of 6 groups of test samples are within 4.6%, which demonstrates the validity and accuracy of the predictive model. This method provides an effectual way to obtain the critical flashover voltage and might be helpful to estimate the safe clearances of air gaps for insulation design.
Supported by : China Postdoctoral Science Foundation, Central Universities
- D. C. Huang, Y. B. Shu, J. J. Ruan and Y. Hu, "Ultra high voltage transmission in China: developments, current status and future prospects," Proc. IEEE, vol. 97, no. 3, pp. 555-583, Mar. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/JPROC.2009.2013613
- S. Chen, R. Zeng and C. J. Zhuang, "The diameters of long positive streamers in atmospheric air under lightning impulse voltage," J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys., vol. 46, no. 37, pp. 375203, Sep. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1088/0022-3727/46/37/375203
- X. G. Zhao, J. J. He and H. X. He, "Effect of branching on spikes of positive leader current," IEEE Trans. Dielectr. Electr. Insul., vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 1968-1973, Aug. 2016.
- N. Goelian, P. Lalande, A. Bondiou-Clergerie, G. L. Bacchiega, A. Gazzani and I. Gallimberti, "A simplified model for the simulation of positive-spark development in long air gaps," J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys., vol. 30, no. 17, pp. 2441-2452, Sep. 1997. https://doi.org/10.1088/0022-3727/30/17/010
- L. Arevalo, D. Wu and B. Jacobson, "A consistent approach to estimate the breakdown voltage of high voltage electrodes under positive switching impulses," J. Appl. Phys., vol. 114, no. 8, pp. 083301-083308, Aug. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.4818434
- J. H. Rakotonandrasana, A. Beroual and I. Fofana, "Modelling of the negative discharge in long air gaps under impulse voltages," J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys., vol. 41, no. 10, pp. 105210-105224, May 2008. https://doi.org/10.1088/0022-3727/41/10/105210
- A. Beroual, J. H. Rakotonandrasana and I. Fofana, "Predictive dynamic model of the negative lightning discharge based on similarity with long laboratory sparks - part 1: physical process and modeling," IEEE Trans. Dielectr. Electr. Insul., vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 1551-1561, Oct. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TDEI.2010.5595557
- L. Arevalo and V. Cooray, "Preliminary study on the modelling of negative leader discharges," J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys., vol. 44, no. 31, pp. 315204, Aug. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1088/0022-3727/44/31/315204
- CIGRE Working Group 33.07, "Guidelines for the evaluation of the dielectric strength of external insulation," Int. Council Large Electric Systems (CIGRE), Paris, France, Tech. Brochures 72, 1992.
- S. A. Boggs, T. Uchii and S. Nishiwaki, "Analytical approach of SF6 breakdown under transient conditions," IEEE Trans. Power Del., vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 751-757, Jul. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2003.813876
- Z. B. Qiu, J. J. Ruan, D. C. Huang, Z. H. Pu and S. W. Shu, "A prediction method for breakdown voltage of typical air gaps based on electric field features and support vector machine," IEEE Trans. Dielectr. Electr. Insul., vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 2125-2135, Aug. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TDEI.2015.004887
- Z. B. Qiu, J. J. Ruan, D. C. Huang, M. T. Wei, L. Z. Tang, C. P. Huang, W. J. Xu and S. W. Shu, "Hybrid prediction of the power frequency breakdown voltage of short air gaps based on orthogonal design and support vector machine," IEEE Trans. Dielectr. Electr. Insul., vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 795-805, Apr. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TDEI.2015.005398
- Z. B. Qiu, J. J. Ruan, C. P. Huang, W. J. Xu, L. Z. Tang, D. C. Huang and Y. F. Liao, "A method for breakdown voltage prediction of short air gaps with atypical electrodes," IEEE Trans. Dielectr. Electr. Insul., vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 2685-2694, Oct. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TDEI.2016.7736827
- Z. B. Qiu, J. J. Ruan, D. C. Huang, S. W. Shu and Z. Y. Du, "Prediction study on positive DC corona onset voltage of rod-plane air gaps and its application to the design of valve hall fittings," IET Gener. Transm. Distrib., vol. 10, no. 7, pp. 1519-1526, May 2016. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-gtd.2015.0192
- IEC 60060-1, "High-voltage test techniques - part 1: general definitions and test requirements," 2010.
- V. N. Vapnik, "Methods of pattern recognition," in The Nature of Statistical Learning Theory, 2nd ed., New York: Springer-Verlag, 2000, pp. 138-146.
- S. Abe, "Two-class support vector machines," in Support Vector Machines for Pattern Classification, 2nd ed., London: Springer-Verlag London Limited, 2010, pp. 28-31.
- J. Alikhani Koupaei, S. M. M. Hosseini and F. M. Maalek Ghaini, "A new optimization algorithm based on chaotic maps and golden section search method," Eng. Appl. Artfl. Intell., vol. 50, pp. 201-214, Apr. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engappai.2016.01.034
- The subcommittee on correlation of laboratory data of EEI-NEMA joint committee on insulation coordination, "Flashover characteristics of rod gaps and insulators," Trans. AIEE, vol. 56, no. 6, pp. 712-714, Jun. 1937.
- IEEE Standard 4, "IEEE standard techniques for high-voltage testing," 1995.
- M. Abdullah and E. Kuffel, "Development of spark discharge in nonuniform field gaps under impulse voltages," Proc. IEE, vol. 112, no. 5, pp. 1018-1024, May 1965.
- P. N. Mavroidis, P. N. Mikropoulos and C. A. Stassinopoulos, "Discharge characteristics in short rod-plane gaps under lightning impulse voltages of both polarities," in Proceedings of the 42nd Intl. Univ. Power Eng. Conf., 2007, pp. 1070-1074.