- Volume 13 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Cost Effective Design of High Voltage Impulse Generator and Modeling in Matlab
- Javid, Zahid (School of Electrical Engineering, Shandong University) ;
- Li, Ke-Jun (School of Electrical Engineering, Shandong University) ;
- Sun, Kaiqi (School of Electrical Engineering, Shandong University) ;
- Unbreen, Arooj (Dept. of Electrical Engineering NFC IE&FR Faisalabad)
- Received : 2017.08.02
- Accepted : 2018.01.10
- Published : 2018.05.01
Quality of the power system depends upon the reliability of its components such as transformer, transmission lines, insulators, circuit breakers and isolators. The transient voltage due to internal or external reasons may affect the insulation level of the components. The insulation level of these components must be tested against these conditions. Different studies, testing of different electrical components against high voltage impulses and different industrial applications rely on the international manufactures for pulsed power generation and testing, that is quite expensive and large in size. In this paper a model of impulse voltage generator with capacitive load of pin type insulator is studied by simulation method and by an experimental setup. A ten stage high voltage impulse generator (HVIG) is designed and implemented for different applications. In this proposed model, the cost has been reduced by using small and cheap capacitors as an alternative for large and expensive ones while achieving the same effectiveness. Effect of the distributed capacitance in each stage is analyzed to prove the effectiveness of the model. Different values of front and tail resistances have been used to get IEC standard waveforms. Results reveal the effectiveness at reduced cost of the proposed model.
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC)
- J. Ma, Q. Zhang, H. You, Z. Wu, T. Wen, C. Guo, et al., "Study on insulation characteristics of GIS under combined voltage of DC and lightning impulse," IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, vol. 24, pp. 893-900, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1109/TDEI.2017.006535
- J. Kuffel and P. Kuffel, High voltage engineering fundamentals: Newnes, 2000.
- S. Boggs and J. Y. Zhou, "Dielectric property measurement of nonlinear grading materials," in Electrical Insulation and Dielectric Phenomena, 2000 Annual Report Conference on, 2000, pp. 764-767.
- G. Lopes, G. Faria, E. Neto, and M. Martinez, "Lightning withstand of medium voltage cut-out fuses stressed by nonstandard impulse shapes experimental results," in IEEE Electrical Insulation Conference (EIC), 2016, 2016, pp. 210-214.
- J. Li, L. Zhang, D. Hu, X. Yao, J. Xiong, and S. Wang, "Breakdown characteristics of SF6 in quasi-uniform field under oscillating lightning impulse voltages," IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, vol. 24, pp. 915-922, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1109/TDEI.2017.006022
- P. Rozga and M. Stanek, "Comparative analysis of lightning breakdown voltage of natural ester liquids of different viscosities supported by light emission measurement," IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, vol. 24, pp. 991-999, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1109/TDEI.2017.006467
- B. Qi, X. Zhao, S. Zhang, M. Huang, and C. Li, "Measurement of the electric field strength in transformer oil under impulse voltage," IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, vol. 24, pp. 1256-1262, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1109/TDEI.2017.006252
- Y. Liu, L. Lee, Y. Bing, Y. Ge, W. Hu, and F. Lin, "Resonant charging performance of spiral tesla transformer applied in compact high-voltage repetitive nanosecond pulse generator," IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science, vol. 41, pp. 3651-3658, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPS.2013.2285782
- L. Collier, J. Dickens, J. Mankowski, and A. Neuber, "Performance Analysis of an All Solid-State Linear Transformer Driver," IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science, vol. 45, pp. 1755-1761, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPS.2017.2712361
- L. Redondo, H. Canacsinh, and J. F. Silva, "Generalized solid-state marx modulator topology," IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, vol. 16, pp. 1037-1042, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TDEI.2009.5211851
- H. Li, Y. Wang, W. Chen, W. Luo, Z. Yan, and L. Wang, "Inductive pulsed power supply consisting of superconducting pulsed power transformers with Marx generator methodology," IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity, vol. 22, pp. 5501105-5501105, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TASC.2012.2210552
- Y. Xuelin, D. Zhenjie, H. Qingsong, Y. Jianguo, Z. Bo, and H. Long, "High-repetition and-stability all-solid state pulsers based on avalanche transistor Marx circuit," in Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology (ICMMT), 2010 International Conference on, 2010, pp. 454-455.
- J. Casey, F. Arntz, M. Kempkes, and M. Gaudreau, "Conference Record of the 2006 Twenty-Seventh International Power Modulator Symposium."
- T. Prabaharan, A. Shyam, R. Shukla, P. Banerjee, S. Sharma, P. Deb, et al., "Development of 2.4 ns rise time, 300 kV,-500 MW compact co-axial Marx generator," 2011.
- S. Roy and A. Debnath, "Procedural Perfection in Impulse Shape Generation for Indoor Type Impulse Test of Power Transformers," Global Journal of Research In Engineering, vol. 10, 2010.
- C. Wang, X. Zheng, J. Zou, J.-z. Wang, T.-j. Zhang, and X.-d. Jiang, "Design and construction of a compact portable pulsed power generator," Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research Section B: Beam Interactions with Materials and Atoms, vol. 269, pp. 2941-2945, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nimb.2011.04.044
- A. Toudeshki, N. Mariun, H. Hizam, and N. I. A. Wahab, "The energy and cost calculation for a Marx pulse generator based on input DC voltage, capacitor values and number of stages," in Power and Energy (PECon), 2012 IEEE International Conference on, 2012, pp. 745-749.
- J. Y. Zhou and S. A. Boggs, "Low energy single stage high voltage impulse generator," IEEE transactions on dielectrics and electrical insulation, vol. 11, pp. 597-603, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TDEI.2004.1324349
- J. M. Beck, "Using rectifiers in voltage multiplier circuits," General Semiconductor, vol. 14, 2001.
- D. F. Spencer, R. Aryaeinejad, and E. Reber, "Using the Cockroft-Walton voltage multiplier design in handheld devices," in Nuclear Science Symposium Conference Record, 2001 IEEE, 2001, pp. 746-749.
- G. Swift, "Charging time of a high-voltage impulse generator," Electronics Letters, vol. 5, pp. 534-534, 1969. https://doi.org/10.1049/el:19690400
- H. Canacsinh, L. Redondo, F. F. Silva, and E. Schamiloglu, "Modeling of a solid-state Marx generator with parasitic capacitances for optimization studies," in Pulsed Power Conference (PPC), 2011 IEEE, 2011, pp. 1422-1427.
- T. Rokunohe, T. Kato, H. Kojima, N. Hayakawa, and H. Okubo, "Calculation model for predicting partial-discharge inception voltage in a non-uniform air gap while considering the effect of humidity," IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, vol. 24, pp. 1123-1130, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1109/TDEI.2017.005920
- Y. Liu, F. Lin, G. Hu, and M. Zhang, "Design and performance of a resistive-divider system for measuring fast HV impulse," IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, vol. 60, pp. 996-1002, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIM.2010.2064410
- D. Cobb, "Controllability, observability, and duality in singular systems," IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, vol. 29, pp. 1076-1082, 1984. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAC.1984.1103451
- J. Daafouz, P. Riedinger, and C. Iung, "Stability analysis and control synthesis for switched systems: a switched Lyapunov function approach," IEEE transactions on automatic control, vol. 47, pp. 1883-1887, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAC.2002.804474
- K. Veisheipl, "Simulation of the high voltage impulse generator," in Electric Power Engineering (EPE), 2016 17th International Scientific Conference on, 2016, pp. 1-5.