- Volume 66 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
An algorithm to simulate the nonlinear behavior of RC 1D structural members under monotonic or cyclic combined loading
- Nouban, Fatemeh (Department of Civil Engineering, Near East University) ;
- Sadeghi, Kabir (Department of Civil Engineering, Near East University)
- Received : 2017.12.25
- Accepted : 2018.02.22
- Published : 2018.05.10
Interaction of lateral loading, combined with axial force needs to be determined with care in reinforced concrete (RC) one-dimensional structural members (1D SMs) such as beam-columns (BCs) and columns. RC 1D SMs under heavy axial loading are known to fail by brittle mode and small lateral displacements. In this paper, a macro element-based algorithm is proposed to analyze the RC 1D SMs under monotonic or cyclic combined loading. The 1D SMs are discretized into macro-elements (MEs) located between the critical sections and the inflection points. The critical sections are discretized into fixed rectangular finite elements (FRFE). The nonlinear behavior of confined and unconfined concretes and steel elements are considered in the proposed algorithm. The proposed algorithm has been validated by the results of experimental tests carried out on full-scale RC structural members. The evolution of ultimate strain at extreme compression fiber of a rectangular RC section for different orientations of lateral loading shows that the ultimate strain decreases with increasing the axial force. In the examined cases, this ultimate strain ranges from 0.0024 to 0.0038. Therefore, the 0.003 value given by ACI-318 code for ultimate strain, is not conservative and valid for the combined load cases with significant values of axial force (i.e. for the axial forces heavier than 70% of the ultimate axial force).
Supported by : Ecole Centrale de Nantes, Near East University
- Amziane, S. and Dube, J.F. (2008), "Global RC structural damage index based on the assessment of local material damage", J. Adv. Concrete Technol., 6(3), 459-468. https://doi.org/10.3151/jact.6.459
- CEB Code (1978), Code-Modele CEB-FIP Pour les Structures en Beton, Bulletin d'information No. 124-125F, Comite Euro-International du Beton, Vol. 1 and 2, Paris, France.
- Garcia Gonzalez, J.J. (1990), "Contribution a l'etude des poteaux en beton arme soumis a un cisaillement devie alterne", Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Nantes/Ecole Centrale de Nantes, Nantes, France.
- Hashemi, S.SH. and Vaghefi, M. (2015), "Investigation of bond slip effect on the P-M interaction surface of RC columns under biaxial bending", Sci. Iran. Trans. A, 22(2), 388-399.
- Lavassani, H.H., Tasnimi, A.A. and Soltani, M. (2009), "A complete hysterical constitutive law for reinforced concrete under earthquake loadings", J. Seismol. Earthq. Eng., 11(1), 17-40.
- Mashaly, E-S, El-Heweity, M., Abou-Elfath, M. and Ramada, M. (2011), "A new beam-column model of seismic analysis of RC frames-part I: Model derivation", Alexandr. Eng. J., 5(4), 313-320.
- Massumi, A. and Badkoubeh, A.R. (2015), "Dimensionless analysis of composite rectangular and circular RC columns", Steel Compos. Struct., 19(2), 327-348. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2015.19.2.327
- Massumi, A. and Monavari, B. (2013), "Energy based procedure to obtain target displacement of reinforced concrete structures", Struct. Eng. Mech., 48(5), 681-695. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2013.48.5.681
- Morfidis, K., Kiousis, P.D. and Xenidis, H. (2014), "A nonlinear model for ultimate analysis and design of reinforced concrete structures", Comput. Concrete, 14(6), 695-710. https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2014.14.6.695
- Norris, C.H. and Wilbur, E.J.B. (1974), Elementary Structural Analysis, 2nd edition, McGraw Hill Book Company, New York, U.S.A.
- Parate, K. and Kumar, R. (2016), "Investigation of shear strength models for exterior RC beam-column joint", Struct. Eng. Mech., 58(3), 475-514. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2016.58.3.475
- Park, R., Kent, D.C. and Sampson, R.A. (1972), "Reinforced concrete members with cyclic loading", J. Struct. Div., 98(ST7), 1341-1359.
- Pham, B.H., Davenne, L., Brancherie, D. and Ibrahimbegovic, A. (2010), "Stress resultant model for ultimate load design of reinforced-concrete frames: Combined axial force and bending moment", Comput. Concrete, 7(4), 303-315. https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2010.7.4.303
- Priestley, M.J.N. and Park, R. (1991), "Strength and ductility of concrete bridge columns under seismic loading", ACI Struct. J., 88(4), 61-76.
- Sadeghi, K. (1995), "Simulation numerique du comportement de poteaux en beton arme sous cisaillement devie alterne", Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Nantes/Ecole Centrale de Nantes, Nantes, France.
- Sadeghi, K. (2001), Numerical Simulation and Experimental Test of Compression Confined and Unconfined Concrete, Technical Report Submitted to Water Resources Management Organization, Ministry of Energy, Concrete Laboratory of Power and Water University of Technology, Tehran, Iran.
- Sadeghi, K. (2011), "Energy based structural damage index based on nonlinear numerical simulation of structures subjected to oriented lateral cyclic loading", Int. J. Civil Eng., 9(3), 155-164.
- Sadeghi, K. and Nouban F. (2016), "Damage quantification and fatigue of RC structures", Structu. Eng. Mech., 58(6), 1021-1044. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2016.58.6.1021
- Sadeghi, K. and Nouban F. (2017), "Behavior modeling and damage quantification of confined concrete under cyclic loading", Struct. Eng. Mech., 61(5), 625-635. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2017.61.5.625
- Sharma, M.R., Singh, A.K. and Benipal, G.S. (2014), "Stability of concrete beam-columns under follower forces", Lat. Am. J. Sol. Struct., 11(5), 790-809. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1679-78252014000500004
- Sheikh, S.A. (1982), "A comparative study of confinement models", ACI J., 79(4), 296-305.
- Tasnimi, A.A. and Lavasani, H.H. (2011), "Uniaxial Constitutive Law for structural concrete members under monotonic and cyclic loads", Sci. Iran. Trans. A, 18(2), 150-162. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scient.2011.03.025
- Yau, C.Y., Chan, S.L. and So, A.K.W. (1993), "Biaxial bending of arbitrarily shaped reinforced concrete columns of arbitrary shape", Struct. J. ACI, 90(3), 269-273.
- Yen, J.Y.R. (1991), "Quasi-Newton method for reinforced concrete column analysis and design", J. Struct. Struct. Div., 117(3), 657-666. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1991)117:3(657)