- Volume 27 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Simplified equations for Vierendeel design calculations of composite beams with web openings
- Panedpojaman, Pattamad (Department of Civil Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Prince of Songkla University)
- Received : 2017.07.13
- Accepted : 2018.03.17
- Published : 2018.05.25
Composite beams with web openings are vulnerable to Vierendeel bending failure. The available methods provide quite conservative estimates of Vierendeel bending resistance. An alternative design method to compute the resistance was proposed in this study, based on quadratic nonlinear interactions of normalized shear force, axial force and Vierendeel bending moment. The interactions of the top and bottom Tee section must satisfy mutual conditions to prevent the Vierendeel failure. The normalized shear force and Vierendeel bending moment of the composite part were used instead in the top Tee interaction. The top Tee axial force was computed based on force equilibrium. Based on a rigid-plastic model, the composite resistance is estimated using an effective slab width of the vertical shear resistance. On using the proposed method, nonlinear reductions due to shear loads and axial forces are not required, in contrast to prior methods. The proposed method was validated against experiments from literature. The method limitations and accuracy as well as the Vierendeel behavior were investigated by finite element simulations, with varied composite beam parameters. The proposed design loads are less conservative than earlier estimates and deviate less from the simulations.
Supported by : Prince of Songkla University
- ANSYS (2007), ANSYS Guide - Release 11.0 Documentation, Ansys Inc.
- Bake, S. (2010), "Cellular beams at ambient and elevated temperatures", Ph.D. Dissertations; School of Mechanical, Aerospace and Civil Engineering, MACE, The University of Manchester, Manchester, UK.
- BS EN 1993-1-1 (2005), Eurocode 3: Design of Steel Structures Part 1-1: General Rules and Rules for Buildings, British Standards Institution.
- BS EN 1992-1-1 (2004), Eurocode 2: Design of Concrete Structures - Part 1-1 : General Rules and Rules for Buildings, British Standards Institution.
- BS EN 1994-1-1 (2004), Eurocode 4: Design of Steel and Concrete Composite Structures. Part 1.1: General Rules and Rules for Building, British Standards Institution.
- Clawson, W.C. and Darwin, D. (1980), "Composite Beams with Web Openings", SM Report No 4; University of Kansas Centre for Research, USA.
- Chung, K.F. and Lawson, R.M. (2001), "Simplified design of composite beams with large web openings to Eurocode 4", J. Constr. Steel Res., 57(2), 135-163. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0143-974X(00)00011-0
- Chung, K.F., Ko, C.H. and Wang, A.J. (2005), "Design of steel and composite beams with web openings-verification using finite element method", Steel compos. Struct., Int. J., 5(2-3), 203-233. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2005.5.2_3.203
- Donahey, R.C. and Darwin, D. (1986), "Performance and Design of Composite Beams with Web Openings", SM Report No 18; University of Kansas Centre for Research, USA.
- Durif, S., Bouchair, A. and Bacconnet, C. (2015), "Elastic rotational restraint of web-post in cellular beams with sinusoidal openings", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 18(2), 325-344. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2015.18.2.325
- Ellobody, E. and Young, B. (2006), "Performance of shear connection in composite beams with profiled steel sheeting", J. Constr. Steel Res., 62(7), 682-694. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2005.11.004
- Erdal, F. (2015), "The comparative analysis of optimal designed web expanded beams via improved harmony search method, Struct. Eng. Mech., Int. J., 54(4), 665-691. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2015.54.4.665
- Erdal, F. (2016), "Effect of stiffeners on failure analyses of optimally designed perforated steel beams", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 22(1), 183-201. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2016.22.1.183
- Gattesco, N. (1999), "Analytical modelling of nonlinear behaviour of composite beams with deformable connection", J. Constr. Steel Res., 52(2), 195-218. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0143-974X(99)00026-7
- Kataoka, M.N., Friedrich, J.T. and El Debs, A.H.C. (2017), "Experimental investigation of longitudinal shear behavior for composite floor slab", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 23(3), 351-362. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2017.23.3.351
- Ko, C. (2002), "A unified approach for steel and composite beams with web openings", Ph.D. Dissertations; Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong.
- Lawson, R.M. (2011), Design of Composite Beams with Web Openings, The Steel Construction Institute Publication 355.
- Lawson, R.M., Lim, J., Hicks, S.J. and Simms, I. (2006), "Design of composite asymmetric cellularbeams and beams with large web openings", J. Constr. Steel Res., 62(6), 614-629. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2005.09.012
- Lawson, R.M., Lim, J.B.P. and Popo-Ola, S.O. (2013), "Pull-out forces in shear connectors in composite beams with large web openings", J. Constr. Steel Res., 87, 48-59. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2013.03.025
- Lin, Z., Liu, Y. and He, J. (2014), "Behavior of stud connectors under combined shear and tension loads", Eng. Struct., 81, 362-376. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2014.10.016
- Liu, T.C.H. and Chung, K.F. (2003), "Steel beams with large web openings of various shapes and sizes: finite element investigation", J. Constr. Steel Res., 59(9), 1159-1176. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0143-974X(03)00030-0
- Mirza, O. and Uy, B. (2010), "Effects of the combination of axial and shear loading on the behaviour of headed stud steel anchors", Eng. Struct., 32(1), 93-105. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2009.08.019
- Nguyen, H.T. and Kim, S.E. (2009), "Finite element modeling of push-out tests for large stud shear connectors", J. Constr. Steel Res., 65(10-11), 1909-1920. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2009.06.010
- Panedpojaman, P. and Thepchatri, T. (2013), "Finite element investigation on deflection of cellular beams with various configurations", Int. J. Steel Struct., 13(3), 487-494. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13296-013-3008-z
- Panedpojaman, P., Thepchatri, T. and Limkatanyu, S. (2014), "Novel design equations for shear strength of local web-post buckling in cellular beams", Thin-Wall Struct., 76, 92-104. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2013.11.007
- Panedpojaman, P., Thepchatri, T. and Limkatanyu, S. (2015), "Novel simplified equations for Vierendeel design of beams with (elongated) circular openings", J. Constr. Steel Res., 112, 10-21. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2015.04.007
- Panedpojaman, P., Sae-Long, W. and Chub-uppakarn, T. (2016), "Cellular beam design for resistance to inelastic lateral-torsional buckling", Thin-Wall Struct., 99, 182-194. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2015.08.026
- Serror, M.H., Hamed, A.N. and Mourad, S.A. (2016), "Numerical study on buckling of steel web plates with openings", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 22(6), 1417-1443. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2016.22.6.1417
- Sheehan, T., Dai, X., Lam, D., Aggelopoulos, E., Lawson, M. and Obiala, R. (2016), "Experimental study on long spanning composite cellular beam under flexure and shear", J. Constr. Steel Res., 116, 40-54. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2015.08.047
- Wang, A.J. and Chung, K.F. (2008), "Advanced finite element modelling of perforated composite beams with flexible shear connectors", Eng. Struct., 30(10), 2724-2738. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2008.03.001
- Ward, J.K. (1990), Design of Composite and Non-composite Cellular Beams, The Steel Construction Institute Publication 100.