- Volume 29 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Removal of Methylene Blue in Water Phase by Using Juniperus chinensis
향나무를 활용한 수중에서 메틸렌 블루의 제거
- Choi, Suk Soon (Department of Biological and Environmental Engineering, Semyung University) ;
- Ha, Jeong Hyub (Department of Intergrated Environmental Systems, Pyeongtaek University)
- Received : 2018.01.31
- Accepted : 2018.02.11
- Published : 2018.06.10
The development of treatment technologies for recycling waste woods generated from tree pruning is required in Gangwon province forest. In this study, according to adsorption experiments using three types (Larix kaemoferi, Juniperus chinensis, Pinus densiflora) of waste woods, Juniperus chinensis as a biosorbent showing an excellent removal ability was selected for the removal of methylene blue in an aqueous phase. When 0.4 g/100 mL of Juniperus chinensis was used to improve the removal efficiency of methylene blue for 4 h, each 100, 200 and 300 mg/L of methylene blue dissolved in the aqueous phase were removed to 98, 93, and 81%, respectively. The adsorption equilibrium data obtained by changing adsorbent concentrations was found to be more consistent with the Langmuir than the Freundlich equation. In addition, based on dynamic experiments by changing the methylene blue concentration, the biosorption kinetics equation was more suitable for a pseudo-second order model. In order to enhance the removal capability of highly concentrated methylene blue, 300 and 400 mg/L of methylene blue were operated for 4 h under 210 rpm of agitation velocity and removal efficiencies were 92 and 76%, respectively. Consequently, these experimental results can be effectively utilized as a new biosorption technology for economically treating methylene blue dissolved in an aqueous phase.
Supported by : 세명대학교
- H.-D. Lee, J.-O. Kim, H.-K. Kim, and J.-W. Chung, Degradation of methyl orange by pulsed corona discharges in aqueous solution, J. Korean Soc. Water Wastewater, 26(1), 69-76 (2012). https://doi.org/10.11001/jksww.2012.26.1.069
- E. Forgacs, T. Cserhati, and G. Oros, Removal of synthetic dyes from wastewater: a review, Environ. Int., 30, 953-971 (2004). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envint.2004.02.001
- M. Kousha, E. Daneshvar, H. Dopeikar, D. Taghavi, and A. Bhatnagar, Box-Behnken design optimization of Acid Black 1 dye biosorption by different brown macroalgae, Chem. Eng. J., 179, 158-168 (2012). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cej.2011.10.073
- M. Rafatullah, O. Sulaimana, R. Hashima, and A. Ahmad, Adsorption of methylene blue on low-cost adsorbents: A review, J. Hazard. Mater., 177, 70-80 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2009.12.047
- F. L. Pua, M. S. Sajab, C. H. Chia, S. Zakaria, I. A. Rahman, and M. S. Salit, Alkaline-treated cocoa pod husk as adsorbent for removing methylene blue from aqueous solutions, J. Environ. Chem. Eng., 1, 460-465 (2017).
- J.-W. Lee, S.-P. Choi, R. Thiruvenkatachari, W.-G. Shim, and H. Moon, Evalution of the performance of adsorption and coagulation processes for the maximum removal reactive dyes, Dyes Pigm., 69, 196-203 (2006). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dyepig.2005.03.008
- D. Ghosh and K. G. Bhaattacharyya, Adsorption of methylene blue on Kaolinite, Appl. Clay Sci., 20, 295-300 (2002). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0169-1317(01)00081-3
- S. Fan, Y Wanga, Z. Wang, J. Tang, J. Tang, and X. Li, Removal of methylene blue from aqueous solution by sewage sludge-derived biochar: Adsorption kinetics, equilibrium, thermodynamics and mechanism, J. Environ. Chem. Eng., 5, 601-611 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jece.2016.12.019
- T. Robinson, G. McMullan, R. Marchant, and P. Nigam, Remediation of dyes in textile effluent: A critical review on cur- rent treatment technologies with a proposed alternative, Bioresour. Technol., 77, 247-255 (2001). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0960-8524(00)00080-8
- M. J. Ahmed, Application of agricultural based activated carbons by microwave and conventional activations for basic dye adsorption: Review, J. Environ. Chem. Eng., 4, 89-99 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jece.2015.10.027
- E. I. El-Shafey, S. N. F. Ali, S. Al-Busafi, and H. A. J. Al-Lawati, Preparation and characterization of surface functionalized activated carbons from date palm leaflets and application for methylene blue removal, J. Environ. Chem. Eng., 4, 2713-2724 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jece.2016.05.015
- J. J. Salazar-Rabago, R. Leyva-Ramos, J. Rivera-Utrilla, R. Ocampo-Perez, and F. J. Cerino-Cordova, Biosorption mechanism of methylene blue from aqueous solution onto White Pine (Pinus durangensis) sawdust: Effect of operating conditions, Sustain. Environ. Res., 27, 32-40 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.serj.2016.11.009
- B. Royer, N. F. Cardoso, E. C. Lima, J. C. P. Vaghetti, N. M. Simon, T. Calvete, and R, C. Veses, Application of Brazilian pine-fruit shell in natural and carbonized forms as adsorbents to removal of methylene blue from aqueous solutions-kinetic and equilbrium study, J. Hazard. Mater., 164, 1213-1222 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2008.09.028
- P. K. Malik, Use of activated carbons prepared from sawdust and rice-husk for adsorption of acid dyes: a case study of Acid Yellow 36, Dyes Pigm., 56, 239-249 (2003). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0143-7208(02)00159-6
- G. Annadurai, R.-S. Jung, and D.-J. Lee, Use of cellulose-based wastes for adsorption of dyes from aqueous solutions, J. Hazard. Mater., B92, 263-274 (2002).
- S. S. Choi, Removal of lead ions from aqueous solution using Juniper chinensis waste, Appl. Chem. Eng., 24(4), 428-432 (2013).
- C.-K. Na, M.-Y. Han, and H.-J. Park, Applicability of theoretical adsorption models for studies on adsorption properties of adsorbents(1), J. Korean Soc. Environ. Eng., 33(8), 606-616 (2011). https://doi.org/10.4491/KSEE.2011.33.8.606
- R. E. Treybal, Mass-Transfer Operations, 3rd ed., 589-592, McGraw-Hill Inc., NY, USA (1987).
- G. M. Kay, H. S. Blair, and J. Gardner, Rate studies for the ad- sorption of dyestuffes onto chitin, J. Colloid Interface Sci., 95(1), 108-119 (1983). https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9797(83)90078-4
- V. Vadivelan and K. V. Kumar, Equlilbrium, kinetics, methanism, and process design for the sorption of methylene blue onto rice husk, J. Colloid Interface Sci., 286, 90-100 (2005). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcis.2005.01.007