- Volume 29 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effect of Oxyfluorination of Activated Carbon Fibers on Adsorption of Benzene Gas Causing Sick House Syndrome
새집증후군 유발 벤젠가스 흡착에 미치는 활성탄소섬유의 함산소불소화 영향
- Lim, Hyung Soon (Department of Fusion Technology for Climate Change, Hoseo University) ;
- Kim, Min-Ji (Department of Applied Chemistry and Biological Engineering, Chungnam National University) ;
- Kong, Eun Young (Department of Applied Chemistry and Biological Engineering, Chungnam National University) ;
- Jeong, Jin-do (Department of Fusion Technology for Climate Change, Hoseo University) ;
- Lee, Young-Seak (Department of Applied Chemistry and Biological Engineering, Chungnam National University)
- 임형순 (호서대학교 기후변화융합기술학과) ;
- 김민지 (충남대학교 응용화학공학과) ;
- 공은영 (충남대학교 응용화학공학과) ;
- 정진도 (호서대학교 기후변화융합기술학과) ;
- 이영석 (충남대학교 응용화학공학과)
- Received : 2018.01.27
- Accepted : 2018.03.04
- Published : 2018.06.10
In this study, activated carbon fibers (ACFs) were treated by oxy-fluorination to improve the adsorption property of benzene gas, one of the gases causing sick house syndrome. Surface properties and pore characteristics of oxyfluorinated activated carbon fibers were confirmed by X-ray photoelectron Spectroscopy (XPS) and Brunauer-Emmett-Teller (BET), and adsorption properties of benzene gas were evaluated by gas chromatography (GC). As a result of XPS data, it was confirmed that the fluorine functional groups on activated carbon fibers surface increased with increasing the fluorine partial pressure. The specific surface area of all samples decreased after the oxyfluorination treatment, but the micropore volume ratio increased when the fluorine partial pressure was at 0.1 bar. The oxyfluorinated activated carbon fibers adsorbed 100 ppm benzene gas for an 11 h, it was found that the adsorption efficiency of benzene gas was improved about twice as much as that of untreated ones.
- Y. W. Ju and G. Y. Oh, Behavior of toluene adsorption on activated carbon nanofibers prepared by electrospinning of a polyacrylonitrile-cellulose acetate blending solution, Korean J. Chem. Eng., 34, 2731-2737 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11814-017-0171-5
- Y. Koike and Y. Mitarai, Removal of causative factors for sick building syndrome using air plants, Trans. Sci. Technol., 2, 50-55 (2015).
- Y. Lee, S. H. Lee, I. S. Kyeng, and S. S. Lee, Reduction properties of environment-friendly mortar for indoor air contaminant using phytoncide and palm active carbon, J. Archit. Inst. Korea Struct. Constr., 32, 27-34 (2016).
- X. Zhang, B. Gao, A. E. Creamer, C. Cao, and Y. Li, Adsorption of VOCs onto engineered carbon materials: A review, J. Hazard. Mater., 338, 102-123 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2017.05.013
- M. S. Li, S. C. Wu, Y. H. Peng, and Y. H. Shih, Adsorption of volatile organic vapors by activated carbon derived from rice husk under various humidity conditions and its statistical evaluation by linear solvation energy relationships, Sep. Purif. Technol., 170, 102-108 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.seppur.2016.06.029
- M. Fayaz, P. Shariaty, J. D. Atkinson, Z. Hashisho, J. H. Phillips, J. E. Anderson, and M. Nichols, Using microwave heating to improve the desorption efficiency of high molecular weight VOC from beaded activated carbon, Environ. Sci. Technol., 49, 4536-4542 (2015). https://doi.org/10.1021/es505953c
- M. J. Kim, M. J. Jung, S. S. Choi, and Y. S. Lee, Adsorption characteristics of chromium ion at low concentration using oxyfluorinated activated carbon fibers, Appl. Chem. Eng., 26, 432-438 (2015). https://doi.org/10.14478/ace.2015.1050
- M. J. Kim, M. J. Jung, S. S. Choi, and Y. S. Lee, Effects of the fluorination of activated carbons on the chromium ion adsorption, Appl. Chem. Eng., 26, 92-98 (2015). https://doi.org/10.14478/ace.2014.1126
- H. K. Son, S. Sivakumar, M. J. Rood, and B. J. Kim, Electrothermal adsorption and desorption of volatile organic compounds on activated carbon fiber cloth, J. Hazard. Mater., 301, 27-34 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2015.08.040
- B. C. Bai, J. S. Im, and Y. S. Lee, Lyocell-based activated carbon fibers improved the adsorption of harmful gas properties when produced via dual-simultaneous treatments, Carbon Lett., 23, 69-73 (2017).
- Y. J. Heo, M. U. T. Le, and S. J. Park, Investigation of carbon dioxide adsorption by nitrogen-doped carbons synthesized from cubic MCM-48 mesoporous silica, Carbon Lett., 18, 62-66 (2016). https://doi.org/10.5714/CL.2016.18.062
L. Shi, K. Yang, Q. Zhao, H. Wang, and Q. Cui, Characterization and mechanisms of
$H_2S$and $SO_2$adsorption by activated carbon, Energy Fuels, 29, 6678-6685 (2015). https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.energyfuels.5b01696
Y. Guo, Y. Li, T. Zhu, and M. Ye, Investigation of
$SO_2$and NO adsorption species on activated carbon and the mechanism of NO promotion effect on $SO_2$, Fuel, 143, 536-542 (2015). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2014.11.084
- M. J. Kim, K. M. Lee, S. Lee, S. Y. Yeo, S. S. Choi, and Y. S. Lee, Preparation and heating characteristics of N-doped graphite fiber as a heating element, Appl. Chem. Eng., 28, 80-86 (2017).
- O. Kazak, Y. R. Eker, H. Bingol, and A. Tor, Novel preparation of activated carbon by cold oxygen plasma treatment combined with pyrolysis, Chem. Eng. J., 325, 564-575 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cej.2017.05.107
M. Li, B. Lu, Q. F. Ke, Y. J. Guo, and Y. P. Guo, Synergetic effect between adsorption and photodegradation on nanostructured
$TiO_2$/activated carbon fiber felt porous composites for toluene removal, J. Hazard Mater., 333, 88-98 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2017.03.019
- K. M. Lee, M. J. Kim, H. Jo, S. Y. Yeo, and Y. S. Lee, The electrical and heating properties of copper-incorporated graphite fibers fabricated using different ultrasonication techniques, Carbon Lett., 24, 111-114 (2017).
- H. Jo, K. H. Kim, M. J. Jung, J. H. Park, and Y. S. Lee, Fluorination effect of activated carbons on performance of asymmetric capacitive deionization, Appl. Surf. Sci., 409, 117-123 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apsusc.2017.02.234
- K. M. Lee, S. E. Lee, and Y. S. Lee, Effect of fluorination on thermal and mechanical properties of carbon nanotube and graphene nanoplatelet reinforced epoxy composites, Polymer (Korea), 40, 553-560 (2016). https://doi.org/10.7317/pk.2016.40.4.553
- Y. J. Choi, K. M. Lee, K. Kim, and Y. S. Lee, Mechanical properties of epoxy composites reinforced with carbon nanotube and oxyfluorinated powdered-carbon fiber, Polymer (Korea), 41, 835-843 (2017). https://doi.org/10.7317/pk.2017.41.5.835
- M. J. Jung, Y. Ko, K. H. Kim, and Y. S. Lee, Oxyfluorination of pitch-based activated carbon fibers for high power electric double layer capacitor, Appl. Chem. Eng., 28, 638-644 (2017).
- M. J. Kim, M. J. Jung, M. I. Kim, S. S. Choi, and Y. S. Lee, Adsorption characteristics of toluene gas using fluorinated phenol-based activated carbons, Appl. Chem. Eng., 26, 587-592 (2015). https://doi.org/10.14478/ace.2015.1083
- L. E. Cruz-Barba, S. Manolache, and F. Denes, Novel plasma approach for the synthesis of highly fluorinated thin surface layers, Langmuir, 18, 9393-9400 (2002). https://doi.org/10.1021/la026032c
- M. J. Jung, E. Jeong, S. Cho, S. Y. Yeo, and Y. S. Lee, Effects of surface chemical properties of activated carbon modified by amino-fluorination for electric double-layer capacitor, J. Colloid Interface Sci., 381, 152-157 (2012). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcis.2012.05.031
- E. Jeong, M. J. Jung, and Y. S. Lee, Role of fluorination in improvement of the electrochemical properties of activated carbon nanofiber electrodes, J. Fluor. Chem., 150, 98-103 (2013). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfluchem.2013.02.017
- J. Giraudet, C. Delabarre, K. Guérin, M. Dubois, F. Masin, and A. Hamwi, Comparative performances for primary lithium batteries of some covalent and semi-covalent graphite fluorides, J. Power Sources, 158, 1365-1372 (2006). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2005.10.020
- D. Y. Kim, S. J. In, and Y. S. Lee, Effect of fluorination and ultrsonic washing treatement on surface characteristic of poly(ethylene terephthalate), Polymer (Korea), 37, 316-322 (2013). https://doi.org/10.7317/pk.2013.37.3.316
- Y. C. Chiang, P. C. Chiang, and C. P. Huang, Effects of pore structure and temperature on VOC adsorption on activated carbon, Carbon, 39, 523-534 (2001). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0008-6223(00)00161-5
- S. W. Lee, S. K. Bae, J. H. Kwon, Y. S. Na, C. D. An, Y. S. Yoon, and S. K. Song, Correlations between pore structure of activated carbon and adsorption characteristics of acetone vapor, J. Korean Soc. Environ. Eng., 27, 620-625 (2005).
- F. E. C. Othman, N. Yusof, H. Hasbullah, J. Jaafar, A. F.Ismail, N. Abdullah, N. A. H. M. Nordin, F. Aziz, and W. N. W. Salleh, Polyacrylonitrile/magnesium oxide-based activated carbon nanofibers with well-developed microporous structure and their adsorption performance for methane, J. Ind. Eng. Chem., 51, 281-287 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jiec.2017.03.014
- H. S. Ju, S. I. Lee, Y. S. Lee, and H. G. Ahn, Surface modification of activated carbon by acid treatment and adsorption property of heavy metals, Appl. Chem., 4, 173-176 (2000).