- Volume 67 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Drone-based Power-line Tracking System
드론 기반의 전력선 추적 제어 시스템
- Jeong, Jongmin (School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Yonsei University) ;
- Kim, Jaeseung (School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Yonsei University) ;
- Yoon, Tae Sung (Department of Electrical Engineering, Changwon National University) ;
- Park, Jin Bae (School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Yonsei University)
- Received : 2018.02.27
- Accepted : 2018.05.17
- Published : 2018.06.01
In recent years, a study of power-line inspection using an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) has been actively conducted. However, relevant studies have been conducting power-line inspection with an UAV operated by manual control, and they have developed just power-line detection algorithm on aerial images. To overcome limitations of existing research, we propose a drone-based power-line tracking system in this paper. The main contributions of this paper are to operate developed system under configured environment and to develop a power-line detection algorithm in real-time. Developed system is composed of the power-line detection and the image-based tracking control. To detect a power-line in real-time, a region of interest (ROI) image is extracted. Furthermore, clustering algorithm is used in order to discriminate the power-line from background. Finally, the power-line is detected by using the Hough transform, and a center position and a tilt angle are estimated by using the Kalman filter to control a drone smoothly. We design a position controller and an attitude controller for image-based tracking control, and both controllers are designed based on the proportional-derivative (PD) control method. The interaction between the position controller and the attitude controller makes the drone track the power-line. Several experiments were carried out in environments where conditions are similar to actual environments, which demonstrates the superiority of the developed system.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- J. Katrasnik, F. Pernus, and B. Likar, "A survey of mobile robots for distribution power line inspection," IEEE Trans. On Power Delivery, Vol. 25, No. 1, pp. 485-493, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2009.2035427
- J. Sawada, K. Kusumoto, T. Munakata, Y. Maikawa, and Y. Ishikawa, "A mobile robot for inspection of power transmission lines," IEEE Trans. On Power Delivery, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 309-315, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1109/61.103753
- S. Yunlin, C. Jinen, and S. Dawei, "Patrol inspection of EHV electric power transmission line with helicopter in North China Power Network," Electric Power, 2003.
- P. Debenest, M. Guarnieri, K. Takita, E. F. Fukushima, S. Hirose, K. Tamura, A. Kimura, H. Kubokawa, N. Iwama, and F. Shiga, "Expliner-Robot for inspection of transmission lines," IEEE Conf. On Robotics and Automation, pp. 3978-3984, 2008.
- L. Wang, S. Cheng, and J. Zhang, "Development of a Line-Walking Mechanism for Power Transmission Line Inspection Purpose," IEEE Conf. On Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 3323-3328, 2009.
- A. Mostashfi, A. Fakhari, and M. A. Badri, "A novel design of inspection robot for high-voltage power lines," Industrial Robot: An International Journal of Robotics Research and Application, Vol. 41, No. 2, pp. 166-175, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1108/IR-08-2013-386
- R. Ishino, and F. Tsutsumi, "Detection system of damaged cables using video obtained from an aerial inspection of transmission lines," IEEE Power Engineering Society General Meeting, Vol.2, pp. 1857-1862, 2004.
- B. Wang, X. Chen, Q. Wang, L. Liu, H. Zhang, and B. Li, "Power line inspection with a flying robot," International Conf. On Applied Robotics for the Power Industry, pp. 1-6, 2010.
- J. Katrasnik, F. Pernus, and B. Likar, "New Robot for Power Line Inspection," IEEE Conf. On Robotics, Automation and Mechatronics, pp. 1195-1200, 2008.
- S. Hrabar, T. Merz, and D. Frousheger, "Development of an autonomous helicopter for aerial powerline inspections," International Conf. On Applied Robotics for the Power Industry, pp. 1-6, 2010.
- Z. Li, Y. Liu, R. Hayward, J. Zhang, and J. Cai, "Knowledge-based power line detection for UAV surveillance and inspection systems," International Conf. Image and Vision Computing New Zealand, pp. 1-6, 2008.
- J. Zhang, L. Liu, B. Wang, X. Chen, Q. Wang, and T. Zheng, "High Speed Automatic Power Line Detection and Tracking for a UAV-Based Inspection," International Conf. On Industrial Control and Electronics Engineering, pp. 266-269, 2012.
- T. W. Yang, H. Yin, Q. Q. Ruan, J. D. Han, J. T. Qi, Q. Yong, Z. T. Wang, and Z. Q. Sun, "Overhead power line detection from UAV video images," International Conf. On Mechatronics and Machine Vision in Practice, pp. 74-79, 2012.
- L. F. Luque-Vega, B. Castillo-Toledo, A. Loukianov, and L. E. Gonzalez-Jimenez, "Power line inspection via an unmanned aerial system based on the quadrotor helicopter," IEEE Mediterranean Electrotechnical Conference, pp. 393-397, 2014.
- J. Lee, "Innovates 4th industrial revolution in electric power industry," Electric Power, vol. 11, pp. 50-53, 2017.
- "Drone(unmanned aerial vehicle) is utilized in electric equipment inspection," The Korean Institute of Electrical Engineering, vol. 63, no. 10, pp. 10-13, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5370/KIEE.2014.63.1.010
- C. W. Chen, J. Luo, and KJ. Parker, "Image segmentation via adaptive K-means clustering and knowledge-based morphological operations with biomedical applications," IEEE Trans. On Image Processing, Vol. 7, No. 12, pp. 1673-1683, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1109/83.730379
- J. Illingworth, and J. Kittler, "A survey of the hough transform," Computer Vision, Graphics, and Image Processing, Vol. 44, No. 1, pp. 87-116, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0734-189X(88)80033-1
- R. E. Kalman, "A New Approach to Linear Filtering and Prediction Problems," Journal of Basic Engineering, Vol. 82, No. 1, pp. 35-45, 1960. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3662552
- J. Li, and Y. Li, "Dynamic Analysis and PID Control for a Quadrotor," IEEE Conf. On Mechatronics and Automation, pp. 573-578, 2011.
- L. E. Romero, D. F. Pozo, and J. A. Rosales, "Quadcopter stabilization by using PID controllers," Universidad de Cuenca, 2015.