- Volume 21 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effects of standardized extracts of Lamium album and Urtica dioica on rat tracheal smooth muscle contraction
- Arefani, Samane ;
- Mehran, Seyyed Mohammad Mohseni ;
- Moladoust, Hassan ;
- Norasfard, Mohammad Reza ;
- Ghorbani, Ahmad ;
- Abedinzade, Mahmood
- Received : 2017.05.10
- Accepted : 2018.03.30
- Published : 2018.06.30
Objective: Diseases of the respiratory system are one of the main causes of death and include situation such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, pneumonia or asthma. Medicinal plants have beneficial effects on multiple diseases include respiratory disorders like asthma and bronchitis. The aim of this study was to evaluate the effects of U. dioica and L. Album on tracheal smooth muscle contraction. Material and methods: Hydroalcoholic extracts of L. Album and U. Dioica aerial parts were prepared by maceration method and standardized based on their total phenol content. The effect of the extracts on the KCl-induced contraction of rat trachea was examined in an organ bath chamber. Data was analyzed with spss software 22. Results: The extract of L. Album (5 mg/ml), similar to theophylline (20 mM), significantly reduced the KCl-induced tracheal contraction. On the other hand, U. Dioica (1 mg/ml and 5 mg/ml) augmented the KCl-induced contraction. Conclusion: The relaxant effect of L. Album on the trachea makes it as a candidate for the managing patients with asthma and obstructive pulmonary diseases. But because of U. Dioica potential constrictive effect on the trachea it is suggested that patients avoid consuming it.
- Banerji D, Fogel R, Beeh KM. Dual bronchodilation for the treatment of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a review of the latest clinical data. Clin Invest 2014;4:511-533. https://doi.org/10.4155/cli.14.50
- Doeing DC, Solway J. Airway smooth muscle in the pathophysiology and treatment of asthma. J Appl Physiol. 2013;114:834-843. https://doi.org/10.1152/japplphysiol.00950.2012
- Bozzola E, Bozzola M, Barberi S, Cutrera R, Villani A. Safety and potential side effects of 2-agonists: a still debated question. Int J Pediatr Child Health. 2013;1:4-10. https://doi.org/10.12974/2311-8687.2013.01.01.2
- Haney S, Hancox RJ. 2006. Recovery from bronchoconstriction and bronchodilator tolerance. Clin Rev Allergy Immunol.31:181-196. https://doi.org/10.1385/CRIAI:31:2:181
- Djelili H, Arrar L, Naline E, Devillier P. Relaxant effects of quercetin and rutin on human isolated bronchus. Chin Med. 2012;3:94-100. https://doi.org/10.4236/cm.2012.32015
- Shakeri F, Boskabady MH. A review of the relaxant effect of various medicinal plants on tracheal smooth muscle, their possible mechanism(s) and potency. J Ethnopharmacol. 2015;175:528-548. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2015.10.017
- Jafarzade P, Mohseni Mehran S M, Moladoust H, No-rasfard M R, Ghorbani A, Abedinzade M. Effect of Hydroalcoholic Extract of Anethum graveolens L. Seed on Tracheal Smooth Muscle Contractions in Male Rats. J Mazandaran Univ Med Sci. 2018; 28 (160) :146-150.
- Pereira OR, Domingues MRM, Silva AMS, Cardoso SM. Phenolic constituents of Lamium album: focus on isoscutellarein derivatives. Food Res Int. 2012;48:330-335. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2012.04.009
- Bubueanu C, Gheorghe C, Pirvu L, Bubueanu G. Anti-oxidant activity of butanolic extracts of Romanian native species - Lamium album and Lamium purpureum. Rom Biotechnolog Let. 2013;18:8855-8862.
- Chipeva VA, Petrova DC, Geneva ME, Dimitrova MA, Moncheva PA, Kapchina-Toteva VM. Antimicrobial activity of extracts from in vivo and in vitro propagated Lamium album L. plants. Afr J Tradit Complement Altern Med. 2013;10:559-562. https://doi.org/10.4314/ajtcam.v10i6.30
- Mohseni Mehran SM , M Abedinzade M*,Norasfard MR , Khanaki K. Lamium album or Urtica dioica? Which is more effective in decreasing serum glucose, lipid and hepatic enzymes in streptozotocin induced diabetic rats: a comparative study. African Journal of Traditional, Complementary and Alternative medicines (AJTCAM) , 2015, 12 (5): 84-88. https://doi.org/10.4314/ajtcam.v12i5.13
- Topouzova-Hristova T, Moskova-Doumanova V, Ker-emidarska M, Doumanov J, Miteva G, Petkova B, Kap- china-Toteva V. Anticancer effect of plant extracts from Lamium album L. by induction of cell death in vitro. Sci Technolog. 2012;2:55-59.
- Gruenwald J, Brendler T, Jaenicke C. Physician's Desk Reference (PDR) for Herbal Medicines. Medical Economics Company Inc., Montvale; 2000.
- Ghasemi S, Moradzadeh M, Mousavi SH, Sadeghnia HR. Cytotoxic effects of Urtica dioica radix on human colon (HT29) and gastric (MKN45) cancer cells mediated through oxidative and apoptotic mechanisms Cell Mol Biol (Noisy-le-grand). 2016;62:90-96.
- Golalipour MJ, Khori V. The protective activity of Urtica dioica leaves on blood glucose concentration and beta-cells in streptozotocin-diabetic rats. Pak J Biol Sci. 2007;10:1200-1204. https://doi.org/10.3923/pjbs.2007.1200.1204
- Gulcin I, Kufrevioglu OI, Oktay M, Buyukokuroglu ME. Antioxidant, antimicrobial, antiulcer and analgesic activities of nettle (Urtica dioica L.). J Ethnopharmacol. 2004;90:205-215. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2003.09.028
- Qayyum R, Qamar HM, Khan S, Salma U, Khan T, Shah AJ. Mechanisms underlying the antihypertensive properties of Urtica dioica. J Transl Med. 2016;14:254. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12967-016-1017-3
- Ghorbani A, Hadjzadeh MR, Rajaei Z, Zendehbad SB. Effects of fenugreek seeds on adipogenesis and lipolysis in normal and diabetic rat. Pak J Biol Sci. 2014;17:523-528. https://doi.org/10.3923/pjbs.2014.523.528
- Hosseini A, Mollazadeh H, Amiri MS, Sadeghnia HR, Ghorbani A. Effects of a standardized extract of Rheum turkestanicum Janischew root on diabetic changes in the kidney, liver and heart of streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Biomed Pharmacother. 2017;86:605-611. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biopha.2016.12.059
- Gharib Naseri MK, Heidari A. The bronchodilatory activity of Vitis vinifera leaf hydroalcoholic extract in rat. Iran Biomed J. 2006;10:79-83.
- Otles S, Yalcin B. Phenolic compounds analysis of root, stalk, and leaves of nettle. ScientifcWorldJournal. 2012;564367.
- Aviello G, Scalisi C, Fileccia R, Capasso R, Romano B, Izzo AA, Borrelli F. Inhibitory effect of caffeic acid phenethyl ester, a plant-derived polyphenolic compound, on rat intestinal contractility. Eur J Pharmacol. 2010;640:163-167. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejphar.2010.04.040
- Dizaye KF, Alberzingi BO, Sulaiman SR. Renal and vascular studies of aqueous extract of Urtica dioica in rats and rabbits. Iraq J Vet Sci. 2013;27:25-31.
- Collier HOJ, Chesher GB. Identification of 5-hydroxy-tryptamine in the sting of the nettle (Urtica dioica). Brit J Pharmacol. 1956;11:186-189.
Supported by : Guilan University of Medical Sciences