- Volume 21 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
An effect of thermo-stimulation of lower abdomen on autonomic nervous system: An experimental study
- Kim, Kyeong Han (Department of Preventive Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Woosuk University) ;
- Kim, Jong Uk (Department of Preventive Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Woosuk University) ;
- Kim, Bo Hyun (Department of Preventive Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Woosuk University) ;
- Shin, Jin Hyeon (Department of Preventive Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Woosuk University) ;
- Hong, Seong Jin (Department of Preventive Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Woosuk University) ;
- Lee, Sang Ryong (Department of Preventive Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Woosuk University) ;
- Yook, Tae-han (Department of Preventive Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Woosuk University)
- Received : 2017.12.21
- Accepted : 2018.05.17
- Published : 2018.06.30
Objective: DIt is need to evaluate he changes of the bio-signals through the hot-cold stimulation in the CV4. Methods: The 30 healthy participants were enrolled and randomly allocated, to one of three groups(10 participants for each group): the hot stone therapy(HST) group, or the cold stone therapy(CST) group or no treatment group(NT). All the participants took a rest for 10 minutes for stability before the test. And additional 10 minute rest after measurements of skin test and sEMG. After that two group received hot or cold stone therapy for 30 minutes and one group treated nothing with HRV test. Results: HRV LF value showed a significant increase over time in all three groups, but there was no significant difference between groups but HRV HF value did not show any significant difference with time in all three groups and there was no significant difference between groups. sEMG value showed a significant increase in the left side of the masseter muscle of the HST group and sebum levels was a significant decreased in HST group but no significant meaning was found. Conclusion: There was no objective evidence that hot-cold stimulation produced bio-signals changes in comparison to the control group, but additional studies are needed as the subjects were limited.
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea(NRF)
- Department of Biofuctional Medicine and Diagnosis of National Korean Medicine College. Biofunctional Medicine. Seoul(Korea) Koonja Press. 2008; 9-10.
- Choi WS. Heart Rate Variadility and the Measurement of Stress. Korean J Stress Res. 2005; 13:59-63.
- Lee JG, Koh SB, Chang SJ, Park JK, Yu JS, Lee JH. A Comparative Study of HRV between Normal and Hwa-Byung: Subject to Kang-won Province Inhabitants in 2006. JON. 2008; 19:171-8.
- Choi YM, Kim JU, Kim LH, Yook TH. A Study of the Electrical Properties of the Buccal Area using Facial Surface Electromyography. The Acupunct. 2017; 34: 75-82. https://doi.org/10.13045/acupunct.2017084
- Kim YJ, Lee CH, Kim JU, Yook TH. Effects of Distilled Cervi Pantotrichum Cornu and Rehmannia glutinosa Pharmacopuncture at GB21. JAMS. 2005; 9:311-8.
- Kwak H, Lee SY, Kim SB. Heat therapy and Cryotherapy in the Family Medicine Field. J Korean Acad Fam Med. 2003; 24:877-83.
- Moritz AR, Henriques .Studies of Termal Injury. AmJ Pathol. 1947; 23(5):695-720.
- Ruf S, Cecere F, Kupfer J, Pancherz H. Stress-induced changes in the functional electromyographic activity of the masticatory muscles. Acta Odontol Scand. 1997;55: 44-8. https://doi.org/10.3109/00016359709091940
- Yemm R. Variations in the electrical activity of the human masseter muscle occurring in association with emotional stress. Arch Oral Biol. 1969; 14:873-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-9969(69)90265-9
- Yemm R. A comparison of the electrical activity of masseter and temporal muscles of human subjects during experimental stress. Arch Oral Biol. 1971; 16:269-73. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-9969(71)90020-3
- Choi, J. H. and Park, J. H. The Effect of Feet Immersion in Hot and Cold Water on Hemodynamic and Termoregulatory Responses. JKLES. 2009; 16:172-85.
- Park, K. H., Kim, K. H. and Kim, J. H. Effect of the Ceragem Master Heat Bed for Posterior Neck Pain and Low Back Pain. JKOP. 2000; 14:133-40.
- Sun, J., Zhang, A. and Xu, L. X. Evaluation of Alternate Cooling and Heating for Tumor Treatment. Int J Heat Mass Transf. 2008; 51:5478-85. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2008.04.027
- D.E. Youn. A Sutdy on the Moxa-extract Moxibustion Method. J Korean Acupunct Moxib Soc. 2006; 23:1-14.
- Huang CM, Chang HC, Kao ST, Li TC, Wei CC, Chen C, Liao YT, Chen FJ. Radial pressure pulse and heart rate variability in heat- and cold-stressed humans. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2011.
- Shu Q, Sun D, Wang H, Lian F, Gerhard L, Daniela L, Intrid G, Chen L, He W, Wang Y. Differences of acupuncture and moxibustion on heart rate variability in qi-defciency syndrome:a-randomized controlled trial. Zhongguo Zhen Jiu. 2017; 37(1):25-30.