- Volume 21 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Variation of main components according to the number of steaming and drying of Rehmanniae radix preparata
- Youn, Ui Joung (Division of life Sciences, Korea Polar Research Institute) ;
- Gu, Bon-Seok (Agricultural Corporation Aram Limited) ;
- Kim, Kyung Hee (Division of life Sciences, Korea Polar Research Institute) ;
- Ha, Chulgyu (Department of Bioprocess Technology, Biocampus of Korea Polytechnic) ;
- Jung, In Chan (Department of Chemistry, Hanseo University)
- Received : 2018.05.03
- Accepted : 2018.06.12
- Published : 2018.06.30
Contents of compounds in Rehmanniae Radix change depending on the number of steaming and drying and the drying method. In this study, as an impregnation method for dried Rehmanniae Radix, takju impregnation and cheongju impregnation were carried out and steaming and drying were repeated for 9 times. The changes of 5-HMF and catalpol contents were analyzed according to the number of repetition times to investigate which stage of steaming and drying is preferable. Also, total nitrogen, crude fat, ash, and crude fiber were measured to analyze changes in general components. 5-HMF was not detected in dried Rehmanniae Radix. As a result of repetitive steaming and drying, the content of 5-HMF increased only slightly from 1 to 4-times steaming and drying but increased significantly from 5-times. The catalpol in dried Rehmanniae Radix was not detected after 5 times of steaming and drying. Sucrose, maltose, and glucose were included in dried Rehmanniae Radix before steaming and drying. However, after the process in both Takju impregnation and Cheongju impregnation, galactose and fructose tended to decrease after production and sucrose and glucose tended to decrease after the increase. In this study condition, 6-times and more steaming and drying were appropriate process which met the content criteria (not less than 0.1%) of the Korean Pharmacopoeia (8th edition) for 5-HMF, an index component for quality control of Rehmanniae Radix Preparata.
catalpol;Rehmanniae Radix;impregnation method;5-HMF
Supported by : Hanseo University
- Han JH, Kim GH. Oriental Pharmacology. Euiseong-dang Pub Co Seoul. 2008; 169.
- Shin MG. Clinical Herbology (Colored version). Nam-seongdang Pub Co Seoul. 1986; 219.
- Kang BS, Seo BI, Choi HY. Herbal Medicine Formulations and Clinical Applications. Younglimsa Pub Co Seoul. 2003; 205-10.
- Song DS, Woo KS, Seong NS, Kim KY, Jeong HS, Lee HB. Changes in Quality of Rehmanniae radix Preparata with Heating Conditions J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr. 2007; 36(6):773-8. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2007.36.6.773
- Woo KS, Song DS, Lee JS, Lee HB, Jeong HS. Quality Characteristics of Rehmannia radix Preparata with Pre-soaking Solvents Korean J Food Sci Technol. 2007; 39(3):289-94.
- Jeong DJ, Seo YB. Experimental Studies on the Haematopoietic Effects of the Rehmanniae Radix Preparat. Kor J Herbology. 2001; 16(1):73-89.
- Chang MS, Yang WM, Yu TW, Kim DR, Park EH, Ko EB, Choi MJ, Kim HY, Oh JH, Shim KJ, Yoon JW, Park SK. Antioxidant Effects of Rehmanniae Radix Preparat in GC-1 Cells. Kor J Herbology. 2007; 22(4):81-6.
- Lee YB. Studies on the Effect of Sukjihwang on Dietary Hyperlipidemia and Antioxidant Activity. Journal of Environmental Science and Technology Research Center 2001; 11(1):41-57
- Jin Y, Kim YJ, Jeon JN, Wang C, Min JW, Jung SY, Yang DC. Changes of Ginsenosides and Physiochemical Properties in Ginseng by New 9 Repetitive Steaming and Drying Process. Korean J Plant Res. 2012; 25(4):473-81 https://doi.org/10.7732/kjpr.2012.25.4.473
- Lee CK, Seo JM. Changes of the consituents in the Rehmanniae radix preparata during processing. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr. 2004; 33:1748-52 https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2004.33.10.1748
- Hwang SY, Hwang BY, Choi WH, Jung HJ, Huh JD, Lee KS, Ro JS. Quantitative determination of 5-hydroxyme-thyl-2-furaldehyde in the Rehmanniae radix Preparata samples at various processing stages. Kor J Pharmacogn. 2001; 32: 116-20.
- Korean Association of Pharmacy Education compiled by Pharmacy Subcommittee. 8th Revision of Guide to the Korean Pharmacopoeia. Shinilsangsa Pub Co Seoul. 2003; 1166.
- Zhu M, Hong SP, Kim CS, Lee JH. Determination Methods of Rehmanniae Radix by HPLC. Kor J Herbology. 2003; 18(3):203-9
- Han JH, Park BR. Study on The Componential Changes of Rehmannia Radix Preparata by Steaming and Hot-air Drying. Korean J Oriental Physiology & Pathology. 2011; 25(5):823-9
- Shih CK, Son YJ, Lee YJ. Changes in the carbohydrate contents of Rehmanniae radix during processing. Kor J Her. 1999; 14:1-11
- Shin SJ. Quantitative Analysis of Reaction Products from Glucose and Xylose in Acidic Aqueous Medium By H-NMR Spectroscopic Method. J Korean Wood Sci & Tech. 2013; 41(4):287-92 https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2013.41.4.287
- Lee JH, Koh JA, Hwang EY, Hong SP. Quantitative determination of 5-hydroxymethyl-2-furaldehyde from Rehmanniae radix Preparata according to various processings. Kor J Her. 2002; 17(2):145-9
- Woo KS, Song DS, Lee JS, Lee HB, Cho HS, Cho KJ, Cha JY, Yim JH, Kim JH. Quality Characteristics of Rehmannia radix Preparata with Pre-soaking Solvents. J Korean soc Food Sci Nutr. 2011; 40(1):84-8 https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2011.40.1.084