DOI QR코드

DOI QR Code

The Language·Society·Culture in a Community of Practice: The Linguistic Features and Students' Perspectives on English Signboards

행위공동체 내의 언어·사회·문화: 영어간판 속 텍스트의 언어적 특성과 사회·문화적 양상에 관한 인식의 고찰

  • Received : 2018.05.22
  • Accepted : 2018.06.12
  • Published : 2018.06.28

Abstract

This study aims to investigate the linguistic features of English signboards (ES) and socio-cultural aspects in Korea through university students' perspectives on the ES. The data comprised pictures and questionnaire on the ES from the students. The findings showed that ES reached to 55.4% for mainly the business of drink beverage and clothes. The text written by 'only English' included 2-3 words (43%), and that of 'combination of English and Korean' had 4-5 words (25%), which reached to 68% of the all. The 70% of ES were used for the business of drink beverage, food, and clothes, but these were not in harmony with the neighborhood, showing 42% of agreement. Good ES required 'visual factors (27%)', 'expression of business (23%)', 'elegant and luxurious style (19%)', and 'design and creativity (15%)', and these ES were the most in Shinchon areas. Overall, the present ES culture was insufficient to make harmonious atmosphere in Korea, which requires the support of policies and systems.

Keywords

English Signboards;Linguistic Features;Socio-cultural Aspects;Text;Harmony

Acknowledgement

Supported by : 한국연구재단

References

  1. 김혜숙, "간판 매체언어의 어휘 유형에 나타난 한국문화 현상," 동국어문학, 제16권, pp.5-32, 2004.
  2. 박신영, 도시간판 디자인의 문제점과 개선 방안연구: 대구광역시 중구 동성로 지역 중심으로, 계명대학교, 석사학위논문, 2008.
  3. H. Uysal, "Tracing the culture behind writing: Rhetorical patterns and bidirectional transfer in L1 and L2 essays of Turkish writers in relation to educational context," Journal of Second Language Writing, Vol.17, pp.183-207, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jslw.2007.11.003
  4. 노석은, 차준경, 도원영, "대도시 상점가 간판 언어의 양상과 특성," 한민족문화연구, 제54집, pp.129-166, 2016.
  5. E. Wenger, M. Fenton, S. Hutchinson, C. Kubiak, and B. Wenger, "Learning in landscapes of practice: boundaries, identity, and knowledgeability in practice-based learning," Routledge, 2014.
  6. C. Hatipoglu, "(Im)politeness, national and professional identities and context: Some evidence from e-mailed Call for Papers," Journal of Pragmatics, Vol.39, pp.760-773, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pragma.2006.11.014
  7. 오미경, "인천의 간판 표기를 통해 본 해항도시의 언어혼종화 특징에 관한 연구," 한국사진지리학회지, 제25권, 제1호, pp.19-37, 2015.
  8. 민현식, "간판 언어의 의미론," 한국어의미학, 제9집, pp.221-259, 2001.
  9. E. Oglezneva, T. Petrova, and J. Ying, "Features of language communication in a multicultural community: Russian texts of advertising signboards in the border cities of China," Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, Vol.236, pp.194-200, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2016.12.064
  10. 김혜숙, "간판 매체 어휘의 분석으로 본 언어문화적 차별성과 동질성: 한국 명동과 연변 서시장 간판 매체 어휘의 비교를 통하여," 이중언어학, 제28집, pp.55-79, 2005.
  11. 변정민, "언어활동의 사회문화적 고찰 : 간판 언어와 광고 언어를 중심으로," 새국어교육, 제72집, pp.91-398, 2006.
  12. 이미옥, "지역적 특성에 따른 옥외광고간판의 시각적 표현 연구: 在韓중국동포 상권형성 지역을 중심으로," Journal of Digital Interaction Design, 제9권, 제2호, pp.91-100, 2010.
  13. 박규택, "간판 기호의 맥락성.다층성.다의성: 일본 大阪市生野區의 재일한인 상가를 대상으로," 한국사진지리학회지, 제21권, 제3호, pp.49-63, 2011.
  14. 양창용, 고용진, "간판언어의 언어학적 이해: 영어와 일본어 경우를 중심으로," 언어연구, 제7권, 제1호, pp.115-133, 2002.
  15. 이영화, "국내 인문.사회과학 학술저서 평가를 위한 새로운 시스템의 제언-국내외 대학의 사례를 바탕으로," 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제17권, 제3호, pp.624-632, 2017. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2017.17.03.624
  16. 김종미, "GM에 대한 사회과학분야의 연구 동향," 한국비교정부확보, 제17권, 제3호, pp.175-193, 2013.
  17. http://khei-khei.tistory.com/
  18. http://sg.sbiz.or.kr/main.sg#/main
  19. 오지혜, "문화능력의 재개념화를 통한 한국어 문화교육 내용 연구: 문화 교재 분석을 중심으로," 한국언어문화학, 제10권, 제1호, pp.89-112, 2013.