- Volume 43 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Case of Epidermoid Cyst Initially Misdiagnosed as Temporomandibular Joint Disorder
- Choi, Yun-Jeong (Department of Oral Medicine, School of Dentistry, Kyungpook National University) ;
- An, Seo-young (Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology, School of Dentistry, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Byun, Jin-Seok (Department of Oral Medicine, School of Dentistry, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Jung, Jae-Kwang (Department of Oral Medicine, School of Dentistry, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Choi, Jae-Kap (Department of Oral Medicine, School of Dentistry, Kyungpook National University)
- Received : 2018.06.07
- Accepted : 2018.06.20
- Published : 2018.06.30
Epidermoid cyst in bony wall of external auditory canal (EAC) is a very rare pathologic condition. In addition to its extreme rarity, its positional proximity to temporomandibular joint (TMJ) might lead to clinical misdiagnosis as TMJ disorders, especially when it is accompanied by temporomandibular disorders-like symptoms. In this article, we report a patient with epidermoid cyst in anterior bony wall of EAC, which was misdiagnosed as TMJ disorder because the left TMJ pain aggravated during mastication.
- Erich JB. Sebaceous, mucous, dermoid and epidermoid cysts. Am J Surg 1940;50:672-677. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-9610(40)90463-9
- Abdel-Aziz M. Epidermoid cyst of the external auditory canal in children: diagnosis and management. J Craniofac Surg 2011;22:1398-1400. https://doi.org/10.1097/SCS.0b013e31821cc2fe
- Tovi F, Bartal N, Zirkin C. Epidermal cysts of temporal fossa: an unusual complication of ear surgery. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 1985;94:162-164. https://doi.org/10.1177/000348948509400213
- King RC, Smith BR, Burk JL. Dermoid cyst in the floor of the mouth. Review of the literature and case reports. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 1994;78:567-576. https://doi.org/10.1016/0030-4220(94)90166-X
- Al-Khateeb TH, Al-Masri NM, Al-Zoubi F. Cutaneous cysts of the head and neck. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2009;67:52-57.
- Turetschek K, Hospodka H, Steiner E. Case report: epidermoid cyst of the floor of the mouth: diagnostic imaging by sonography, computed tomography and magnetic resonance imaging. Br J Radiol 1995;68:205-207. https://doi.org/10.1259/0007-1285-68-806-205
- Kim GW, Park JH, Kwon OJ, Kim DH, Kim CW. Clinical characteristics of epidermoid cysts of the external auditory canal. J Audiol Otol 2016;20:36-40. https://doi.org/10.7874/jao.2016.20.1.36
- Ali I, Ahmad R, Iqbal I, Darwesh I. Epidermal cyst of the bony external auditory canal in an adult. Indian J Otol 2012;18:28-29. https://doi.org/10.4103/0971-7749.98294
- Lee DH. Intradiploic epidermoid cyst of the temporal bone: is it the same as or different from cholesteatoma? J Craniofac Surg 2011;22:1973-1975. https://doi.org/10.1097/SCS.0b013e31822eaa52
- Alimoglu Y, Mercan H, Karaman E, Oz B. Epidermal inclusion cyst of external auditory canal. J Craniofac Surg 2010;21:1290- 1291. https://doi.org/10.1097/SCS.0b013e3181e57212
- Suzuki T, Taki M, Shibata T, et al. Epidermal cyst of the bony external auditory canal. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2007;136:155- 156. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.otohns.2006.02.028
- Yu WN, Fu SC, Lai JC. Epidermal cyst of the bony external auditory canal. Kaohsiung J Med Sci 2013;29:237-238. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.kjms.2012.08.040
- Ranabhat S, Tiwari M, Maharjan S. Teratoid cyst of the postauricular region: the first ever case report. Case Rep Pathol 2017;2017:9235925.
- Tiwari R, Sangole V. Recurrent postauricular dermoid cyst: a case report. IJCRI 2013;4:415-418. https://doi.org/10.5348/ijcri-2013-08-345-CR-4
- Shibata T, Hatori M, Satoh T, Ehara S, Kokubun S. Magnetic resonance imaging features of epidermoid cyst in the extremities. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 2003;123:239-241. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00402-003-0509-9
- Li R, Liu X, Yuan K, Law M, Gao B. Supratentorial extradural epidermoid cyst associated with brain abscesses. Radiol Infect Dis 2016;3:74-78. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jrid.2016.03.002
- Mahalakshmi S, Reddy S, Ramamurthy TK, Shilpa B. Rare locations of epidermoid cyst: case reports and review. Ethiop J Health Acta Chir Belg 2002;102:196-198.
- MacNeil SD, Moxham JP. Review of floor of mouth dysontogenic cysts. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 2010;119:165-173. https://doi.org/10.1177/000348941011900304
- Debaize S, Gebhart M, Fourrez T, Rahier I, Baillon J. Squamous cell carcinoma arising in a giant epidermal cyst: a case report. Acta Chir Belg 2002;102:196-198. https://doi.org/10.1080/00015458.2002.11679293
- Anton-Badiola I, San Miguel-Fraile P, Peteiro-Cancelo A, Ortiz-Rey JA. Squamous cell carcinoma arising on an epidermal inclusion cyst: a case presentation and review of the literature. Actas Dermosifiliogr 2010;101:349-353. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ad.2010.01.001