- Volume 23 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Current Status and Suggested Future Directions of Nutrition Intervention using Healthy School Tuck Shops: the Teenage Perspective
건강매점을 이용한 청소년 영양관리의 현황과 향후 개선 방안 : 매점 이용자 측면에 대한 질적 연구
- Oh, Suhyun (Nutrition Education Major, Graduate School of Education, Sangmyung University) ;
- Kim, Kirang (Department of Food Science and Nutrition, Dankook University) ;
- Hwang, Ji-Yun (Department of Foodservice Management and Nutrition, Sangmyung University)
- Received : 2018.06.19
- Accepted : 2018.06.26
- Published : 2018.06.30
Objectives: This study was conducted to investigate the current status and to suggest future directions for health management of teenagers who use healthy school tuck shops to improve teenagers' eating habits while reducing and preventing obesity. Methods: A total of 29 students (16 middle school students and 13 high school students) took part in the interview for this study, and the interview was conducted for each school's focus group by using qualitative research methodology. Results: The current status of using healthy school tuck shops and suggested future directions were divided into two categories. Personal barriers such as discrepancies between personal perceptions and behaviors and lack of food choice suitable to individual tastes can be solved by rebuilding the operating system to provide intuitive promotion of behavior and customized products through improvements in existing products and new product development. A lack of consistent management from low utilization convenience and difficulty in maintaining a constant purchase price can be handled by establishing a solution to restricted physical access for products, as well as seeking profit by improving distribution costs via continuous cooperation between the school and community. Conclusions: Continuous funding and a system that reflects the needs and preferences of healthy school tuck shop users should be applied for sustainable operation of healthy school tuck shops to improve teenagers' eating habits.
Supported by : Seoul Metropolitan Government
- Weaver CM. Adolescence: The period of dramatic bone growth. Endocrine 2002; 17(1): 43-48. https://doi.org/10.1385/ENDO:17:1:43
- Lake AA, Mathers JC, Rugg-Gunn AJ, Adamson AJ. Longitudinal change in food habits between adolescence (11-12 years) and adulthood (32-33 years): the ASH 30 Study. J Public Health 2006; 28(1): 10-16. https://doi.org/10.1093/pubmed/fdi082
- Son SJ, Kim HJ. A study on the purchasing practice of snacks in school zone and status of food safety education in adolescents. Inst Korea Educ 2009; 27(2): 113-133.
- Park IJ, Park YW. Survey on intake of snacks and self-purchased snacks due to lack of sleep in high school students in Gwangju. Korean J Food Cult 2009; 24(3): 256-266.
- Seoul Metropolitan Government. Creating a healthy food environment, Healthy School Tuck Shop project [internet]. 2008 [cited 2014 Sept 1]. Available from: http://ebook.seoul.go.kr/Viewer/ZCN7BT86QYVK
- Kim HR, Hwang NM, Sim JE, Kim EJN. Analysis on breast feeding and nutritional health among children and adolescents and counter policies in Korea. Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs; 2008 Apr. Report No. 2008-04.
- Cho CM. Trend analysis associated dietary habit factors on obesity in Korean adolescents. J Korean Soc Living Environ Sys 2014; 21(1): 97-107. https://doi.org/10.21086/ksles.2014.02.21.1.97
- Hawkes C, Smith TG, Jewell J, Wardle J, Hammond RA, Friel S et al. Smart food policies for obesity prevention. Lancet 2015; 385(9985): 2410-2421. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(14)61745-1
- Nam KM, Kang MJ, Kim KR, Kim JY, Do MH, Lee SS. Effect of healthy school tuck shop on snack preference and food purchasing behavior in adolescents. Korean J Food Nutr 2014; 27(6): 1147-1155. https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2014.27.6.1147
- Shin GR. Basics of qualitative research: Techniques and procedures for developing grounded theory (translated version). 1st ed. original written by Strauss A, Corbin JM. Seoul: Hyunmoonsa; 2001. p. 91-110.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare, Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Ministry of Education. Youth Health Behavior Online Survey [internet]. 2017 [cited 2017 Nov 7]. Available from: http://www.cdc.go.kr/CDC/main.jsp.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare, Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Korea Health Statistics 2016: Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES VII-1). Chungbuk: Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; 2016.
- Lee YJ, Lee SJ, Kim CG. Korean adolescents' weight control behaviors by BMI (Body Mass Index) and body shape perception-Korea Youth Risk Behavior web-based Survey from 2010. J Digit Converg 2012; 10(3): 227-232. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDPM.2012.10.3.227
- Kim YJ, Suh YS, Chung YJ. Use of school tuck-shop and desire for healthy tuck-shop among high school students in Daejeon metropolitan city according to snack frequency. Korean J Hum Ecol 2013; 22(5): 507-518. https://doi.org/10.5934/kjhe.2013.22.5.507
- Wechsler H, Devereaux RS, Davis M, Collins J. Using the school environment to promote physical activity and healthy eating. Prev Med 2000; 31(2): S121-S137. https://doi.org/10.1006/pmed.2000.0649
- Cullen KW, Hartstein J, Reynolds KD, Vu M, Resnicow K, Greene N et al. Improving the school food environment: results from a pilot study in middle schools. J Am Diet Assoc 2007; 107(3): 484-489. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jada.2006.12.004
- PEI Health Eating Alliance. The school healthy eating toolkit. Prince Edward Island: UPEI; 2005. p. 1-259.
- Palliser Health Region Community Nutritionists. School nutrition handbook [internet]. 2005 [cited 2009 Jan 27]. Available from : http://www.palliserhealth.ca/assets/file.
- Department of Health (DH). Department for Education and Skills (DfES) [internet]. 2007 [cited 2014 Sept 1]. Available from: http://www.foodinschools.org.
- NSW Department of Education and Training, NSW Department of Health, Catholic Education Commission, Association of Independent School. Fresh tastes school NSW healthy School Canteen Strategy. Sydeny: NSW Ministry of Health; 2006.
- Health Promotion Board. The model school tuckshop programme [internet]. 2009 [cited 2017 Feb 28]. Available from: https://www.hpb.gov.sg/.
- Department of Health (DH). The National Archives UK [internet]. 2008 [cited 2015 Oct 6]. Available from: https://www.gov.uk/